Columbus Thread VII (Convo and Questions About Columbus for Visitors and Locals)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
...oddly, despite that segment of 315 (specifically, the Lane Avenue exit) being my chief route home for most of the time I've been alive, I don't think I've ever used that ramp - either driving myself, or being driven around by my parents as a kid. It's always been 70/71 westbound or 670 either direction for me.
(EDIT: Or 71 northbound at Greenlawn or points further south, or 270 either direction to 315 south, or...)

I guess it might potentially make things a tad awkward for Hilltop folks heading to campus, but otherwise... :dunno:

EDIT: Turns out my father has taken that ramp before, altho it predates me...
Papa, 2:21 PM
Yeah. That's the path I took from Springfield to OSU during the early days of my freedom.
Driving a '64 Ford Galaxy.

Me, 2:22 PM
was 670 still in construction hell during that period or something?

Papa, 2:22 PM
What is 670?

Me, 2:22 PM
so, yes. :)

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I recently moved from 3rd and Spring on the north side of downtown to by Grant Hospital on the south side. That is the way I get to 315, as I did today to go to the grocery store. I'll have to drive down back to where I used to live and take the 4th st ramp to 670 to 315. I realize it's a small incovenience and I am sure the overall improvement to 70/71 will be worth it to everyone. But the lights on Grant are terrible. No rhyme or reason unlike 3rd and 4th which are timed so once you make 1 light, if you go the speed limit you should make them all the way down. On Grant you can hit 3 lights in a row for no reason at all.

jrross

Jul 25, 2011
Coming in Friday for Bruins on Saturday and leafs on Monday. Hoping to catch some players. Thanks!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
So I’m seeing ads for a new TV show called Welcome to Flatch that looks like a typical stupid show where mall-town people are rubes and the comedy is at their expense. But it appears one of the characters regularly wears a Crew t-shirt.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Reactions: FMichael and Jaxs

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Red Wings fan here looking to spend a few days in Columbus (mid April - looking to catch the Habs/BJs game on the 13th and Columbus FC Crew match on the 16th)...Planning on spending a day at COSI, any other suggestions, or where to stay?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Red Wings fan here looking to spend a few days in Columbus (mid April - looking to catch the Habs/BJs game on the 13th and Columbus FC Crew match on the 16th)...Planning on spending a day at COSI, any other suggestions, or where to stay?
Grab a lunch at the North Market. It’s not outstanding but solid and lots of food choices.

Walk through Schiller Park and around German Village if the weather cooperates. Some fun shops, coffee joints and restaurants, although I am partial to the Old Mohawk.

Short North used to be an arts district but mostly it’s just retail and restaurant/bar for the young adult crowd. That said, if you’re trolling the neighborhood make sure to stop at Big Fun.

There are some murals/public art but not as good a scene as in similar size cities. I think Greater Columbus Arts Council has a list/tour on their website.

Ohio Statehouse is a cool tour if they’re doing them.

Lots of good local, suburban and regional parks for hiking if that’s a thing for you.

Reactions: FMichael

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
So our plans are set (Air B&B near the Italian Village), tickets for the Habs/BJs Wednesday, FC Crew game on Saturday.

Anyone know of any bars/restaurants that offer shuttle buses to/from games?

Much appreciated!

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
So our plans are set (Air B&B near the Italian Village), tickets for the Habs/BJs Wednesday, FC Crew game on Saturday.

Anyone know of any bars/restaurants that offer shuttle buses to/from games?

Much appreciated!

The R Bar is the hockey bar in town. Really close to the arena.

Reactions: FMichael

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Family and I are looking at 2 spots for pre-game dinner...Boston's (Boston Pizza in Canada) or Ted's Montana Grill?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Family and I are looking at 2 spots for pre-game dinner...Boston's (Boston Pizza in Canada) or Ted's Montana Grill?
Both decent choices. I’m sure you’ve seen the menus - Boston’s is that sort of catch-all ‘American’ bistro while Ted’s also runs the gamut with the focus on bison. It’s been a minute since I ate at Ted’s. Seems possible the cooktime and overall dining time will be speedier at Boston’s?

If you are inclined to re-expand your list I might suggest Barley’s, which is still walkable.

Reactions: koteka and FMichael

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Both decent choices. I’m sure you’ve seen the menus - Boston’s is that sort of catch-all ‘American’ bistro while Ted’s also runs the gamut with the focus on bison. It’s been a minute since I ate at Ted’s. Seems possible the cooktime and overall dining time will be speedier at Boston’s?

If you are inclined to re-expand your list I might suggest Barley’s, which is still walkable.

Thanks!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Me this morning: "Boy, I'm sure glad we didn't lose power last night when the storms came thru. Knowing AEP's hideous incompetence, they'd have just not bothered to fix it 'till long after the forecasted heat emergency!"

Me this afternoon: "OH MY f***ING G-D ALMIGHTY HOW DO ANY OF YOU DUMBASS f***WITS STILL HAVE JOBS?!?!"

Seriously. We were fine, and then AEP "fixes" elsewhere happened. Current ETA for restoration is noon tomorrow. Only 22 hours during the peak of a heat emergency! NBD amirite?

f*** every last one of these uselessly incompetent assholes.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Me this morning: "Boy, I'm sure glad we didn't lose power last night when the storms came thru. Knowing AEP's hideous incompetence, they'd have just not bothered to fix it 'till long after the forecasted heat emergency!"

Me this afternoon: "OH MY f***ING G-D ALMIGHTY HOW DO ANY OF YOU DUMBASS f***WITS STILL HAVE JOBS?!?!"

Seriously. We were fine, and then AEP "fixes" elsewhere happened. Current ETA for restoration is noon tomorrow. Only 22 hours during the peak of a heat emergency! NBD amirite?

OK, that sucks

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

The incompetent assholes are the decision-makers who decided to take all the revenue from the rate hikes and make sure stakeholders/execs/pols got paid instead of improving the infrastructure.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Same here, except power restoration is now estimated for 11:59 pm tomorrow.

Nationalize the grid.

1655307049560.png

Current outage map. Notice where the large clusters are right now? Hmmm. Would be interesting if someone did a dive into the demographics.

Anyone an electrical engineer? If AEP had to turn some substations off to protect the entire grid, what is preventing them from rolling those blackouts?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Same here, except power restoration is now estimated for 11:59 pm tomorrow.

Nationalize the grid.

View attachment 558872

Current outage map. Notice where the large clusters are right now? Hmmm. Would be interesting if someone did a dive into the demographics.

Anyone an electrical engineer? If AEP had to turn some substations off to protect the entire grid, what is preventing them from rolling those blackouts?
They gave us that revised estimate not long after I posted that rant. I spent the night in my car. :scared:

Power was restored here well in advance of that schedule, tho - around 6am or so. So I've spent the morning basically recovering.

(And yeah, the demographics argument is definitely interesting. I'm in rental-attached housing in the UA area....)

EDIT: LOL it just went away AGAIN.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
They gave us that revised estimate not long after I posted that rant. I spent the night in my car. :scared:

Power was restored here well in advance of that schedule, tho - around 6am or so. So I've spent the morning basically recovering.

(And yeah, the demographics argument is definitely interesting. I'm in rental-attached housing in the UA area....)

EDIT: LOL it just went away AGAIN.

PJM issued more load sheds. So it's definitely intentional so as not to overload the whole system I guess (I'm not an electrical engineer).

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

AEP presser from not too long ago. I have no idea what they're trying to say in terms of explaining why the north and southwest sides of Columbus had overload issues on the lines, but the result is the bulk of the outages are inside 270 right now.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The permanent closure of the Front St exit off 71 downtown is going to make things so much worse. Now you just have Livingston to exit where they used to have 2 downtown exits.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

A plan to convert a 26-story office tower Downtown into apartments was awarded Ohio Historic Preservation Tax Credits today.

The development, which will transform the former Continental Centre at 150 E. Gay St., was the only Columbus development awarded credits this round (they are handed out twice a year). Last December, the Kroger Bakery redevelopment was the sole Columbus project to receive credits.

Plans for the conversion, which were approved by the Downtown Commission earlier this year, call for a mix of studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments, along with retail on the first floor and a rooftop pool. At 336 units, the project will be one of the larger residential projects to come online Downtown in recent years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad