Columbus Thread VI (All City/Arena Questions, Ticket Exchange, Meetups, etc in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
I'll be attending the game on the 24th. Has anyone on here been to Sweet Carrot before? Was trying to decide between that and The Avenue Steak Tavern.
Two very different places. Sweet Carrot is a counter service place with decent barbeque, but not the best I've had. The Avenue is a more upscale steakhouse. There are better steakhouses in Columbus, but it's good. There are better options on Grandview Avenue in my opinion like Z Cucina or Spagio.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Two very different places. Sweet Carrot is a counter service place with decent barbeque, but not the best I've had. The Avenue is a more upscale steakhouse. There are better steakhouses in Columbus, but it's good. There are better options on Grandview Avenue in my opinion like Z Cucina or Spagio.
Thanks for the recommendations!

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Best steak is Jeff Ruby's, but it will cost you a body part. Nice value steak at Gallo's Kitchen & Matt & Tony's.

drew5580

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2007
Hey everyone! Coming to town for the Arnold classic next weekend and staying across the street from the convention center. Someone recommended we go to a bakery in German town. Would anyone know where about German town is and is it far outside the city? Thanks!

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Hey everyone! Coming to town for the Arnold classic next weekend and staying across the street from the convention center. Someone recommended we go to a bakery in German town. Would anyone know where about German town is and is it far outside the city? Thanks!

German Village is approx 1-2 miles south of the convention center. There are a few bakeries in the area, so not sure which one you’re looking for, although Bake Me Happy and Pistacia Vera are good. Juergens bakery was well known there for 50 years but closed a couple years ago.

Reactions: drew5580

drew5580

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2007
German Village is approx 1-2 miles south of the convention center. There are a few bakeries in the area, so not sure which one you’re looking for, although Bake Me Happy and Pistacia Vera are good. Juergens bakery was well known there for 50 years but closed a couple years ago.

thanks a lot!

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Pistachio Vera is great as is Fox in the Snow, who has the best egg breakfast sandwich along with pastries
22511_Q6A0111.jpg

Somehow, it looks like this every time

....damn I'm hungry

Last edited:

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
With all the 'Rona nonsense going on I never came back to post my AAR of my STL - Detroit - Columbus road trip.

Had an absolute blast. Met some good and interesting people, enjoyed some long country drives, saw a hoarder's house that was overflowing with garbage, only had the car breakdown once. Ended up going to Sweet Carrot (didn't have time for steakhouse after the car incident) and the food was very good. Serving size looked small, but was deceptive in that it was very filling. I love the parking at Nationwide Arena as well as the ticket prices - if I lived in the area I would 100% buy season tickets.

The game was amazing and most of the fans were really cool. The only downsides are the total lack of legroom in the lower bowl (what is this, a stadium for ants?) and this fat old drunk lady who could not STFU for more than 10 seconds at a time for the second half of the game and had to scream everything she said.

I also liked the NationWide VIP lounge area for employees and the four seats crammed into the boards between the benches. My goal is to try to get my hands on some of those tickets for my next trip. I will definitely be going back.

Shout outs to Perrysburg PD, Midas on Woodville RD, Enterprise rent-a-car, nice Uber lady, Billy the toothless tow truck driver, and Megan the Applebees waitress for giving my buddy and I a road trip to remember.

Last edited:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio

With all the 'Rona nonsense going on I never came back to post my AAR of my STL - Detroit - Columbus road trip.

Had an absolute blast. Met some good and interesting people, enjoyed some long country drives, saw a hoarder's house that was overflowing with garbage, only had the car breakdown once. Ended up going to Sweet Carrot (didn't have time for steakhouse after the car incident) and the food was very good. Serving size looked small, but was deceptive in that it was very filling. I love the parking at Nationwide Arena as well as the ticket prices - if I lived in the area I would 100% buy season tickets.

The game was amazing and most of the fans were really cool. The only downsides are the total lack of legroom in the lower bowl (what is this, a stadium for ants?) and this fat old drunk lady who could not STFU for more than 10 seconds at a time fur the second half of the game and had to scream everything she said.

I also liked the NationWide VIP lounge area for employees and the four seats crammed into the boards between the benches. My goal is to try to get my hands on some of those tickets for my next trip. I will definitely be going back.

Shout outs to Perrysburg PD, Midas on Woodville RD, Enterprise rent-a-car, nice Uber lady, Billy the toothless tow truck driver, and Megan the Applebees waitress for giving my buddy and I a road trip to remember.

I thought the Sweet Carrots all shut down.. but Grandview is still open. I go to Spagios, Matt the Millers, Grandview Cafe and Figlio's in Grandview.. Arena district just go to Ted's Montana Grill

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Tulisuudelmasi

Sep 25, 2020
Potential new chant for the Fifth line:

Tune: Allez Allez Allez

We've conquered all of America
We're never going to stop
From Toronto down to Tampa
We've won the f***ing lot
Nummelin and Nutivaara
The ice of Nationwide
We are loyal season ticket holders
And we come from Palos de la Frontera
Allez! Allez! Allez!
Allez! Allez! Allez!
Allez! Allez! Allez!
Allez! Allez! Allez!

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Guys, I am purging and wondering if anyone is interested (I really need it all to go to one person because I have to mail it). I have:
  • Pretty nice ceramic Johnny Bower Cleveland Barons (old school) Bobble Head
  • 2 Cleveland Barons (new school Sharks affiliate) nesting dolls
  • Autographed picture of Shane Joseph
  • 2 Cleveland Barons game magazines
  • Barons logoed hockey puck
  • Alex Ovechkin Caps banner
  • 2001-2002 CBJ yearbook
  • Volume 1 Issue 4 CBJ Game Magazine
  • November 5, 2002 CBJ Game Program
  • OSU Basketball Game Day Magazine (not sure of the year but Jim Obrien was the coach, looks like 2001)
  • OSU Hockey Game Day Magazine from 2002-2003 season
If multiple people interested I will pull a name from a hat tonight. I do ask whoever gets it to just cover my mailing costs (should not be more than a few bucks). Want stuff to find a good home.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Decided I am buying a house this year............

Columbus Has Fastest Selling Housing Market in the US, According to Zillow | Columbus Underground

.....and then this happens
On a side note, I don't like this statement from the article.

“As we’re experiencing unprecedented demand for housing in central Ohio, we need to be diligent in working together to reduce the regulatory burdens on our builders,” stated Michael Jones, 2021 President, Columbus REALTORS®. “Given that each new home built adds 2.9 jobs and $130k in tax revenue, it is in our best interest to do so.”

I translate this to be, "we want home builders to be able to build faster by cutting corners so we can charge more to sell something of lesser quality."

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
God damn I miss Donato's. It comfortably remains my favorite pizza.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I thought they were pretty much nationwide by now.

"there are about two dozen franchisees operating more than 100 Donatos Pizza locations in ten states: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia." Donatos Pizza - Wikipedia

I'm in DC, so might have to go a'huntin' for that Virginia location...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad