Proposal: Columbus - St Louis

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Even if we accept the premise that St. Louis is going to be rebuliding, generally when one goes into a rebuild one still wants to keep those players that are actually playing the right way that you want your kids to play.

Given that, I hereby offer my preemptive apologies to the St. Louis Blues fanbase for this.
and as a Preds fan as well, and a Jackets fan who remembers the old Central, holy f*** do I hate having to say that

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
no-pernalonga.gif

The Blues would never do this.

Also, even if one thinks the Blues should completely rebuild, Armstrong has made it quite clear they’re not going to. At least not a down to the studs rebuild. And trading RT would be completely starting over. Heck, they won’t even use the world rebuild. Retool, restructure, reconfigure, reset, rebalance, recalibrate…these are acceptable words. Rebuild is forbidden.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Yeah blues decline. Where is the reason to trade him? He's young enough to be apart of our retool/rebuild.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Why exactly would the Blues trade their 24 year old Top Line Center who plays in all situations that just dropped 85 points on a team where the 2nd highest scorer scored 65 points if they are rebuilding? Sounds like the player they should building around instead of shoving out the door.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Why exactly would the Blues trade their 24 year old Top Line Center who plays in all situations that just dropped 85 points on a team where the 2nd highest scorer scored 65 points if they are rebuilding? Sounds like the player they should building around instead of shoving out the door.
I think the rationale is supposed to be "because the Blue Jackets really really want him". Which you have to admit is accurate, even if in the end it's completely irrelevant.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
If someone wants Robert Thomas, they're going to have to give up more than they want to give. He's a twenty-four-year-old number one center, signed to a steal of a contract (8.5 million over eight years), plays a 200-foot game in all situations, played on the top penalty-kill and powerplay...and was a point-per-game player.

In addition, the Blues center "depth" includes Kevin Hayes (who is awful, and were I Doug Armstrong - which I'm not, thankfully - I'd look to trade him for a conditional late-round pick) and Brayden Schenn (who is no longer able to be a center). We were forced to use Pavel Buchnevich at center at a few points. Trading Thomas would utterly crater our center depth and force us to rely on a couple of kids (Zach Dean, Dalibor Dvorsky) before they're even close to ready, which could - and quite possibly would - hurt their development.

So, no, we're not trading Thomas unless a lot of pieces aside from the third overall pick - pieces that it would absolutely hurt you to trade - go to us as well. I fully understand if you're not willing to trade those pieces, but please understand that it hurts us just as much to trade Thomas, who is probably the one untouchable on our roster, an untouchable that has not signaled that he wants a trade out of St. Louis.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If someone wants Robert Thomas, they're going to have to give up more than they want to give. He's a twenty-four-year-old number one center, signed to a steal of a contract (8.5 million over eight years), plays a 200-foot game in all situations, played on the top penalty-kill and powerplay...and was a point-per-game player.

In addition, the Blues center "depth" includes Kevin Hayes (who is awful, and were I Doug Armstrong - which I'm not, thankfully - I'd look to trade him for a conditional late-round pick) and Brayden Schenn (who is no longer able to be a center). We were forced to use Pavel Buchnevich at center at a few points. Trading Thomas would utterly crater our center depth and force us to rely on a couple of kids (Zach Dean, Dalibor Dvorsky) before they're even close to ready, which could - and quite possibly would - hurt their development.

So, no, we're not trading Thomas unless a lot of pieces aside from the third overall pick - pieces that it would absolutely hurt you to trade - go to us as well. I fully understand if you're not willing to trade those pieces, but please understand that it hurts us just as much to trade Thomas, who is probably the one untouchable on our roster, an untouchable that has not signaled that he wants a trade out of St. Louis.
Small correction. We have the fourth overall pick, not the third. (Even better! ;) )

But otherwise, yeah, this is pretty much exactly what I figured.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Small correction. We have the fourth overall pick, not the third. (Even better! ;) )

But otherwise, yeah, this is pretty much exactly what I figured.

Correction noted. Wish you had the third over Chicago. But yeah, it would have to hurt, and I'm not going to name any of the players it would require because it would just devolve into senseless bickering when this thread could be headed somewhere positive.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Correction noted. Wish you had the third over Chicago. But yeah, it would have to hurt, and I'm not going to name any of the players it would require because it would just devolve into senseless bickering when this thread could be headed somewhere positive.
Dude, after that nonsense proposal, go ahead and demand Fantilli. We'll still say no, but at that point it's at least justifiable. ;)

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Fair. I just can't stand these sorts of "give us your best player 'cause we want" type proposals (mostly becuase we're usually on the bad end), and seeing one come from my own fanbase is just... I don't care for it. :(
I made a mention of that in the Dreger Buchnevich thread, and I feel your pain. I feel the same way about the Kyrou/Tkachuk thread; I don't particularly care for Tkachuk, but I understand why Ottawa fans don't want to give him up for Kyrou (whom I'm still a fan of).

Just because the trade board allows people to make trades willy-nilly doesn't mean that they should. Researching the other team, their needs, their goals, what the people in charge have said about them...that's important as well. And I can definitely understand why it gets frustrating.

Reactions: Blueston and Viqsi

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

His contract is even cheaper than that, it's like 8.1. So even better value.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If I had to choose which draft pick is closest in value to Robert Thomas right now, it's probably #1OA, basically Celebrini has a little bit more upside but not much. And Thomas would certainly be worth more than pick #2.

So #4 is just not enough value, in addition to the trade being nonsensical as far as the Blues needs.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Bad value for the Blues, but it doesn't make much sense for the Jets (a team that was last in the Eastern Conference) to trade for someone who is seven years older than the player they would draft and would still not get them close to the playoffs.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bad value for the Blues, but it doesn't make much sense for the Jets (a team that was last in the Eastern Conference) to trade for someone who is seven years older than the player they would draft and would still not get them close to the playoffs.

Oh it would be great for the Jackets, they'd do it in a heartbeat, not just on value. They would prefer a more mature 24 year old, who is on a good contract until around 2031. The Jackets have been one of the youngest clubs in the league for a long time and it causes problems. The blind leading the blind.

Thomas would help them progress towards the playoffs, maybe even make it in given all the ripening talent that could coalesce around him and Fantilli. Conversely another teenager in the lineup would make them potentially worse.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Oh it would be great for the Jackets, they'd do it in a heartbeat, not just on value. They would prefer a more mature 24 year old, who is on a good contract until around 2031. The Jackets have been one of the youngest clubs in the league for a long time and it causes problems. The blind leading the blind.

Thomas would help them progress towards the playoffs, maybe even make it in given all the ripening talent that could coalesce around him and Fantilli. Conversely another teenager in the lineup would make them potentially worse.
Would it really be an awful thing for Columbus to be even worse next season? I would think another top-5 overall pick would be a good thing for the Blue Jackets. While Thomas would undoubtedly improve the Blue Jackets and has a good contract (not ELC good, though), I doubt his addition gets them anywhere close to the playoffs. We are talking about a team that finished last in their conference, was 10 points behind the 15th-place team and 28 points behind the 8th-place team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad