Pre-Game Talk: Columbus-Panthers 2/1/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Why will we regret it? Because he didn't develop right away? Please. Guy could surely still become a great player. All that is gonna help him is experience and playing with linemates who don't drag him down.

Sure as hell glad PH had him playing with Jovo then benched him.

Here is the problem I other longtime season ticket holders ( 4 on my street, for instance) and some in the "press" are having with PH.

These 6 games prior to olympics were "advertised" as crucial to any possibilities of making the playoffs. They said it was critical to play well before break. Then why this 3 game benching of Guds? Yes flash has sucked all year, but now bench him? Nows the time to send the message? And after a humiliating loss, Take the vezina winning guy out and put the lifetime backup in?

It seems like Rookie error.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
People can believe whatever they want. I believe that people who think the playoffs are still a possibility are only setting themselves up for disappointment. At some point people have to come to grips with reality and just watch the team because they enjoy watching hockey instead of thinking they can still make the playoffs. If people really think the Panthers can still make the playoffs, that is their prerogative. I will continue to watch because I like hockey and I want to see how the young players progress.

This. Also, there is this strange new voodoo called math.

The Panthers are not only 10 points (5 games) out with 28 games to go, but must get past a large number of teams in their own conference which mostly play against each other. Consequently, when eastern conference teams play each other, one of the teams earns 2 points every game thereby making it virtually impossible for the Panthers to over take enough teams in 28 games to make the playoffs. That is why odds of the Panthers making the playoffs are probably less than 2% (by way of guess) at this juncture.

IMO, no matter how much someone wants to believe otherwise, it is not disrespectful to assert that, for example, pigs cannot fly...

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida

The Panthers are not only 10 points (5 games) out with 28 games to go, but must get past a large number of teams in their own conference which mostly play against each other. Consequently, when eastern conference teams play each other, one of the teams earns 2 points every game thereby making it virtually impossible for the Panthers to over take enough teams in 28 games to make the playoffs. That is why odds of the Panthers making the playoffs are probably less than 2% (by way of guess) at this juncture.

IMO, no matter how much someone wants to believe otherwise, it is not disrespectful to assert that, for example, pigs cannot fly...

SCF I have no problem with any fan no longer hoping for playoffs. I was a math major in college I get it.

I just don't see the need for SV to not opine that he no longer believes and heres why and lay out the math like you did; but to piss on people that choose to not give up.

Yes its fanatical, but IIRC thats where the word fan comes from.

My hopes personally was to stay single digits out, mostly by TT carrying us on his backs, and be a buyer at deadline; but the way the team is being "handled" lately i see that diminishing as well.
But, as someone vested into going to almost every game, ill still root and hope till we are eiliminated.

Gordonx11

#CatsAreComing
Jan 21, 2013
Kansas City, MO

Only thing I got from all that blabber was we have a 2% chance to make the playoffs. It's still a chance, that's all I need to believe.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
The commitment needed to come right after the initial winning surge we had after the coaching change. DT needed to make a move then, not wait. All he did was dump Versteeg.
People will say he needed a trade partner but if you are willing to offer something good like our 1 rnd pick then you could find a willing partner. NYI 's did it. Didn't work out to well but they tried.
Riding that momentum with improvement to the lineup in my opinion would have resulted in another surge. Don't you think the players themselves would see that as a sign from management that they are going for it instead of just same old let's see who gets moved at the trade deadline.
Right now it looks like the players know it's over again. Vets are telling the wife to call the movers.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Per GR the Bs are back together! Also Guddy is back wearing a visor instead of a cage.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Shore getting sent down :/. I guess Hayes has to clear waivers. Also he' ll play during the Oly break.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Makes sense to send Shore since he'll get to play during the Olympic Break.

Plus (and I'm taking this from Paige Lewis), he and Bjugstad are only two who don't have to go through waivers. Waiving Gomez is a waste of time because nobody will claim him.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Plus (and I'm taking this from Paige Lewis), he and Bjugstad are only two who don't have to go through waivers. Waiving Gomez is a waste of time because nobody will claim him.

she is far from a reliable source, but ok

I like shore he has offensive upside we lack, and was good on pp last yr

Could care less personally if gomez clears and gets sent down, rather shore get the time

but thats just me

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
So we have guddy back but now olsen is out? When will they reunite guddy-olson pair?! god damnit

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
i dont think people realize who gudbranson was seen as...

he was a big mean machine that developped greatly offensively in his draft year. he's a great leader and frankly, gudbranson had that shoulder injury that hurt him A LOT since he couldnt build on his ridiculously good playoff series

I knew all of that and was still against the pick. We needed offense at the time and we still need it today. I won't regret the pick as much if Barkov becomes a legit star in the league one day. Only time will tell, but he has undoubtedly gotten off to an amazing start. But, so did Huberdeau and now look at him. Columbus did a fantastic job with Johansen. Look at him now. We must be doing something wrong here. Our leading scorer is a guy who had a PTO before the start of the season. He's only got 25 points in 50+. Why isnt everyone as upset as I am over this. It's pathetic. We're a pathetic team right now. Can't score and can't stop other teams from scoring. Not where Tallon wanted this team to be I assume.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I knew all of that and was still against the pick. We needed offense at the time and we still need it today. I won't regret the pick as much if Barkov becomes a legit star in the league one day. Only time will tell, but he has undoubtedly gotten off to an amazing start. But, so did Huberdeau and now look at him. Columbus did a fantastic job with Johansen. Look at him now. We must be doing something wrong here. Our leading scorer is a guy who had a PTO before the start of the season. He's only got 25 points in 50+. Why isnt everyone as upset as I am over this. It's pathetic. We're a pathetic team right now. Can't score and can't stop other teams from scoring. Not where Tallon wanted this team to be I assume.

+1. I feel like we're back to where we were before 11-12.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012

sure, but gudbransons upside is still pretty much untapped, i honestly believe he'll get it together next season or the one after that and become a legit #2-3

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida

What about Filatov, Brule, and Derick Brassard? I'd hardly consider Columbus a team of prospect developing gurus. We didn't rush Huberdeau, we sent him back. So he is having a bad season and people talk like he is busting. Reality check: Huberdeau is TWENTY years old, in his sophomore season. I am not making excuses for him, but rather being objective about it. The team sucks, period. It has little to zero skill on it, which doesn't help a pass-first guy like Huberdeau. Huberdeau needs to sort out his lower body and his skating and he'll be fine.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
sure, but gudbransons upside is still pretty much untapped, i honestly believe he'll get it together next season or the one after that and become a legit #2-3

Of course we all hope that, but until we glimpses of that (we still haven't even seen glimpses!), the Gudbranson pick is slowly turning out to be an terrible judgement call by Tallon. And I bet he's starting to realize that, after seeing him get scratched a few times. Sad part is, Dale will never admit it. He's married to his draft picks (example, Jack Skille).

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
Of course we all hope that, but until we glimpses of that (we still haven't even seen glimpses!), the Gudbranson pick is slowly turning out to be an terrible judgement call by Tallon. And I bet he's starting to realize that, after seeing him get scratched a few times. Sad part is, Dale will never admit it. He's married to his draft picks (example, Jack Skille).

When he was playing with Olsen earlier this year he was playing like a legit, at least, 2nd pairing d-man. Paired with Jovo and having to cover for his mistakes most of the time may not make him look like he plays to your expectations. However, I have been very impressed with his play this year especially in our end of the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad