Nov 11, 2011
Columbus get:

- Reinhart 5,2M / RFA 2021
- Ristolainen 5,4M / UFA 2022
- Buffalo 1st 2022

Buffalo get:

- Zach Werenski 5M / RFA 2022
- Max Domi 5,3M / UFA 2022

Columbus get a better C and Buffalo upgrade their D. Buffalo adds a 1st getting the best player in the trade.

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
Ristolainen and Domi are even, both are currently trash and probably wont sign with Columbus in 2022. Reinhart and Werenski pretty even too, although I see Werenski as the better and more important player both currently and in the future. The Buffalo 1st is a guaranteed high lottery pick, which makes this trade a good gamble for the Blue Jackets. But I think Jarmo should trade Jones instead of Werenski. Jones is still somehow viewed as a top-10 D-man and holds some nice value. Trade him before other teams realize he is bad.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Buffalo is not trading it's 2022 1st. It is a non-starter.

The extra year of team control on Werenski after his contract expires next offseason adds a lot of value, but the chance of him signing long-term in Buffalo is a long shot, and the value of having a high lottery pick in next year's loaded draft is massive.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
If we pick Power in this draft Werenski isn't really needed. We'll likely pick top 5 next year as well.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Werenski isn’t signing a longterm deal in Buffalo

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
There's no team control on either player going to Buffalo. I know Buffalo has very little leverage with their players wanting to leave but they flat out aren't going to trade for players who are one year rentals.

Stubaru

Jul 12, 2017
I haven't been paying much attention, but has anyone suggested Jones for Eichel straight up? Would Jones sign in Buffalo long term if we offer him Eichel like money?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Overpay by Buffalo, but without the 2022 1st it becomes overpay Columbus because Werenski is worth a lot more.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I haven't been paying much attention, but has anyone suggested Jones for Eichel straight up? Would Jones sign in Buffalo long term if we offer him Eichel like money?

We can take a guess that he would not.

I think we might really actually see a three-way trade here. Jones/Werenski are primo assets that the Jackets would add to to get Eichel, but they won't stick in Buffalo. So look for one of them to be shipped for a prospect piece that Buffalo wants.

Reactions: Stubu

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Buffalo shouldn't be moving any of their 1sts.

I can't imagine Buffalo having even the faintest interest in Domi at this point.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Buffalo shouldn't be moving any of their 1sts.

I can't imagine Buffalo having even the faintest interest in Domi at this point.

Domi / Risto is a wash. Risto has stated he leaves 2022 and theese parts are in the trade to get Buffalo some offense and Columbus a serviceable player to play instead of Werenski. Both UFA at same time

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Buffalo gets boned. That pick could be Wright or Lambert.

This proposal is not well thought out but this comment takes it all.

How does a 23 year old all-star 1st pair defenseman who has played in the league for 5 years, scores an average of double digits goals and 40 plus points a season from the defensive position while contrbuting in all phases on the ice, the PP and the PK have less value than the "possibility" that Buffalo "may" get one of these players. In fact Buffalo gets "boned." Only on HF.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
That 1st shouldn't be traded.

As for the Werenski for Reinhart proposals... I have nothing against Reinhart's abilities. But I think taking him as your top line center without a good center behind him is risky. At least, too risky to basically make it part of your club's foundation. Similarly, I think the risk of Werenski leaving in a year is too risky for Buffalo to make him a part of their club's foundation.

Not that both players wouldn't likely work out for their new clubs. But would you stake your job as a GM on it? I wouldn't...

If I'm trading Werenski, I want a sure-thing top line forward. If I'm trading Reinhart, I want a guy I know will be a big part of the team for at least the next 3 years.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
This proposal is not well thought out but this comment takes it all.

How does a 23 year old all-star 1st pair defenseman who has played in the league for 5 years, scores an average of double digits goals and 40 plus points a season from the defensive position while contrbuting in all phases on the ice, the PP and the PK have less value than the "possibility" that Buffalo "may" get one of these players. In fact Buffalo gets "boned." Only on HF.
It's quite simple, if Werenski was signed for longterm he'd be worth the risk, the fact that he can walk in a couple years means Buffalo would be stupid risking their first.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Werenski is probably worth more than Reinhart but the main issue with this trade is that the Sabres 2022 1st pick is untouchable. The Sabres are guaranteed to be bad and Wright/Lambert could be their only hope getting out of this mess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad