GDT: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Detroit Red Wings | 10/4/2018 7:30PM ET| FSD MOD NOTE POST #750

Status
Not open for further replies.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Somewhat. Was kind of dozing off quite a bit, partially from the lack of scoring chances. Thought it was pretty lackluster.

So how can you be sure of the difference between a scapegoat, and somebody who was legitimately detracting from the teams performance in a major and observable way?

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
So how can you be sure of the difference between a scapegoat, and somebody who was legitimately detracting from the teams performance in a major and observable way?[/QUOTE

I saw enough to say plenty of players didn't play well. I don't see why AA would be singled out. What did I miss?

Oct 18, 2006
I’m going to just put this out there, for the most part I thought AA looked engaged defensively. Really don’t see why he’s getting this level of hate.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...It is an embarrassment that his effort in some games has been so atrociously bad that ANYONE can see him slacking off. Normally, fans think a guy is dogging it and he's not capable of whatever it is. However, AA's several lapses have been so blatant that they are called out on the broadcast, in the interviews after the broadcast, and are plainly visible.

In a lot of ways I trust the board. If 8/10 of fans here think he's lazy, then I'd have to admit I have some type of blinders on. I've watched almost every NHL game AA's played and never thought his lapses were from a lack of effort. As someone was saying his IQ and read of the game gets fuzzy, just as we've seen Larkin and Mantha make similar terrible decisions (especially in OT). I thought last night he was moving his feet well, rushing to get back almost before the defense on few occasions. IMO that line getting owned had way more to do with the lack of speed and ineptitude of Abdelkader and Vanek, for example not guarding the points. The passes that were there came into AA's skates or out of reach, it was a trainwreck.

I'd like to see AA with a different set of linemates. Also I will try and pay better attention to why people are critical of his game.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
You guys realize he started the game as a 2nd/3rd line center? 6 of 8 faceoffs lost, plenty of key o-zone starts to generate/keep momentum squandered. It then quickly devolved into a fire drill in our own zone, with the center passing off his responsibilities in coverage and in the breakout. Some of the routes AA took on zone exits... it's beyond me how a player can look that amateurish and out place from the birds eye this far into their career. His whole night at center, he supported the defense in zone and helped win a key puck once.

He rendered his entire line unusable to the point that literally halfway through the game his much pined for audition at center was already scrapped. Bertuzzi and Vanek played like crap too, but they aren't (trying to be) centers, and that makes a huge difference in what is and isn't excusable.

I don't see how getting justifiably benched as a teams 24 y.o. top 9 center in the first game of the season is on par with some wingers being behind the play. Maybe it's one game, and it'll help him figure things out moving forward. But it was a demonstrably bad game, and I'm running out of angles to look at in hopes that there's a watershed moment where he starts improving his overall effectiveness in a direct and sustainable way.(especially at center)

Hopefully it was just being overwhelmed by the task of the position change, and he can look more comfortable/natural wherever he's slotted in this weekend. I don't have a bias against AAs player or personality type, I was really hoping that the opportunity at center was the moment that he would breakthrough into a reliable factor for our teams future. It's just one game, but I don't see any reason to not acknowledge that to some degree, game 1 was a hit to the list of reasons to be optimistic about his future.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
In a lot of ways I trust the board. If 8/10 of fans here think he's lazy, then I'd have to admit I have some type of blinders on. I've watched almost every NHL game AA's played and never thought his lapses were from a lack of effort. As someone was saying his IQ and read of the game gets fuzzy, just as we've seen Larkin and Mantha make similar terrible decisions (especially in OT). I thought last night he was moving his feet well, rushing to get back almost before the defense on few occasions. IMO that line getting owned had way more to do with the lack of speed and ineptitude of Abdelkader and Vanek, for example not guarding the points. The passes that were there came into AA's skates or out of reach, it was a trainwreck.

I'd like to see AA with a different set of linemates. Also I will try and pay better attention to why people are critical of his game.

This is a very fair assessment as well imo. There was no reason to expect AA to have the type of gravity in the d-zone necessary to be an effective center right off the bat, and any level of improvement going into game 2 will even the scales for him going forward in my mind. Can't wait til sunday!

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
Didn't seem like we could sustain any pressure in the offensive zone. Hopefully it's because the massive amount of turn over and these guys start to gel. Our defense looked better than it had in a long time, really liked Sulak, basic player for a bottom line pairing and Cholo seems legit.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
We should re-open the 100+ page AA threads to talk hourly about little he cares!

It's crazy the reaction a 4th round (nearly free) player making $3mil can draw out of people. He's paid like an up and coming 3rd liner but people expect a double of Nathan MacKinnon.

How do you watch that line and the only conclusion is AA is an idiot? There was no support, no chemistry. Abdelkader is lucky to touch the puck and Vanek is a shell. Repeating myself, but that line was doomed from its inception. It's impossible for AA to do anything carrying that line, and unfortunately without stealing from the 1st and 2nd there's no answer to create something consistent.

On a team that had actual valuable veterans AA could be a dynamic 3rd/2nd line winger. There's got to be a better way for Blashill to utilize his speed...

As Mule mentioned it isn't about when, how or where we acquired him, it is about the skill level he has shown, which when he uses it, is very good. If he put in more effort, he could be like a MacKinnon based on his skills, but he has Kovalev's (especially early career) work ethic, which means he performs well below ability. Where as Ehn who was a 7th rounder; if he doesn't make it, well then we gave him a chance, but it was low odds, based on skill level. AA was almost likely only a 4th rounder because of his work ethic and attitude alone, as his speed and hands would be 1st round talent in almost every draft.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I definitely don't blame the loss on AA. But whether by the eye test or the metrics, he did have a lousy game, as did Vanek.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
As a rookie, Larkin flew past defenders pretty regularly. Then defenders learned his approach, and countered it. For a time, Dylan was stymied, and had a pronounced sophomore slump.

But then he put the work in, began to diversify his game, and has shown improvement.

AA still seems to be in the phase of having a singular approach (but maybe due to physical effort instead of mental preparation).

Yeah, in his first season and a half Dylan loved that burn to the outside move and try to fly around the back of the net with the puck and obviously teams will adjust to that when it works. He struggled in season 2 and I was thinking to myself, he needs to mix it up, be more unpredictable. Then he started to readjust his game and turned a disappointing 2nd season into a great 3rd season. AA still thinks that he can wait for those breakaway moments and blast past everyone, well they figured it out, and will close that off as many times as possible, difference is, AA doesn't put in the effort to find another way to get in the zone with puck.

If he had effort, with that blazing speed, he could skate at 75% back into our zone and disrupt puck movement from opponents, so on nights where the offense isn't working we are least not giving up twice as many and more scoring chances a game. For example, look at Helm he is a good skater but not nearly as fast as AA, but he works his but off, and is constantly helping disrupt the others teams offence.

No one is expecting the guy to be 60+ PT Selke Candidate (though would be nice) we just want the guy to use his God given skills and put a consistent effort in each night.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I understand what you're saying, but that 'playing not to lose' strategy by Blashill saw the puck in our own end of the ice when Glendenning was out there...I'm not surprised what took place.
That true but again, if he put Athanasiou on the line, you expect a different result? For starters, you'd actually have to win the faceoff...

chris05

May 23, 2013
the wings were lucky to get a point. aa doesnt draw the penalty no tying goal. you keep the games close and take your chances with aa playing 3 on 3. blashill recieved another coaching lesson from the oppositions coach.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Last year AA was benched because of "effort" a subjective thing to measure. I have just to see Gator, Kronwall and a bunch of other players benched for giving poor efforts which they clearer have.
The way AA played last night, I would've benched him. It doesn't take much to see that he only moved his feet when there was a shot at a breakaway. He did zilch to make much happen? Did you ever watch him play?

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I would also not put too much stock just yet into this one game. There was seemingly very little chemistry and in time it could develop. Boy oh boy, I do miss Babacock though. I much prefer the system he played over Blash's

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
AA is the spacegoat around here. Especially with Shaman. He hates the guy. I don't know if AA ran over his dog, cut him off in traffic. But he constantly posts how much lack of effort he puts in. I think there is some truth to the lack of effort. But not as bad as some people think. I could be wrong.
Yes it is ridiculous how easily he is blamed when the whole team gives poor efforts sometimes

The way AA played last night, I would've benched him. It doesn't take much to see that he only moved his feet when there was a shot at a breakaway. He did zilch to make much happen? Did you ever watch him play?
He is 23 and still growing as a player.

I’m going to just put this out there, for the most part I thought AA looked engaged defensively. Really don’t see why he’s getting this level of hate.
I don't get it. He is arguably our most dynamic offensive player a part of our young core growing as a player. Maybe he is one dimensional right now but he will get better defensively as he matures. Yzerman was criticized by Bowman about his lack of defense and look how good he got in his own end later in his career....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Filppula

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If it was a matter of making mistakes, that's one thing. When it's a matter of effort, sorry, that's not much age related. If he isn't getting a kick in his ass, he'll be no different when he's 33.
Maybe he needs the right coach to motive him? Ever thought of that?

Reactions: Goalie guy

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York

Really? "I don't do my job because I don't like my supervisor?" I don't do my homework because my teacher can't motivate me... Sounds like parents didn't teach the kid anything to me actually. He either gets that he actually has to work or odds are, he'll be out of NHL long before he hits 30... Sorry, life sucks.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I don't get it. He is arguably our most dynamic offensive player a part of our young core growing as a player. Maybe he is one dimensional right now but he will get better defensively as he matures. Yzerman was criticized by Bowman about his lack of defense and look how good he got in his own end later in his career....

He's not even trying on offence either. Unless there's a an open chance (usually created by someone) for a scoring chance, he doesn't do much to make anything happen. He doesn't even positions himself in slots. He relies almost entirely on his speed and looks waits for opportunities to come to him....

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005

What's your evidence that's he's growing as a player, or has the foundation at center to grow a defensive game around like Yzerman?

He looked like he was being pretty assertive as a center in a few preseason spots, is that what you're expecting we'll see more of as he kicks the dust off? He certainly has the athleticism to pull it off, but game 1 was so far from the level of assertiveness you need to play with in order to be a gas burning, ice tilting center.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Most dynamic would be Larkin AINEC.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Really? "I don't do my job because I don't like my supervisor?" I don't do my homework because my teacher can't motivate me... Sounds like parents didn't teach the kid anything to me actually. He either gets that he actually has to work or odds are, he'll be out of NHL long before he hits 30... Sorry, life sucks.
I think his parents taught him fine. He makes millions of dollars playing hockey and is a 23 year old kid.But apparently he is also a career criminal the way you paint him out to be lol

Most dynamic would be Larkin AINEC.
I have yet to see Larkin score all the highlight reel goals AA has....

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think his parents taught him fine. He makes millions of dollars playing hockey and is a 23 year old kid.But apparently he is also a career criminal the way you paint him out to be lol

I have yet to see Larkin score all the highlight reel goals AA has....

The team doesn't revolve around him, and he's had this issue at every level he's played at. Eventually its him.

As for who is more dynamic? AA is down the list further than you think. I'd put him below Mantha, Larkin, and Nyquist. Doesn't matter if he scores highlight reel goals. Crosby, Ovie, McDavid, etc don't spend a ton of time on the highlight reels, but they are orders of magnitude more dynamic. Why? because a goal is a goal whether its an easy tapper at the dots, or good position and reading of the other team, or if its you blowing by all 5 players. In the end, just because AA can blow by the defense half a dozen times in a season and get 6 highlight reel goals and Mantha or Larkin may only have 1-2 'wow did they do that' goals, doesn't mean anything at all, because the game is played and offense is generated in many more ways than just that one.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Larkin doesn't score the highlight reel goals AA does but he's a better hockey player so who cares :laugh:

Larkin was the reason we scored 2 goals last night.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Larkin doesn't score the highlight reel goals AA does but he's a better hockey player so who cares :laugh:

Larkin was the reason we scored 2 goals last night.

Larkin was 8-1 on scoring chances for-against...
Athansiou was 4-15.

Pretty much tells the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad