TSN: Columbus Blue Jackets sign Johnny Gaudreau, 7 years 9.75 AAV

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Wow that Rick Nash quote.. maybe Gudbranson was a bit of a Gaudreau prerequisite. Didn't know to what extent it mattered

Biggest thing bothering me about people complaining about the Gudbranson signing is the obvious positive impact it had on signing Gaudreau. Hilarious having people trying to act like it had zero impact, and yet mention Gaudreau “name dropping” Laine in interviews in damn near every post.

How much impact?? Who knows, but, it easily makes up for the $1-2 million you could argue he was “overpaid”, while also needing to mention that he ABSOLUTELY fills a need on the roster.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Even more embarrassing for the FO that they put that out there publicly. They weren't even in contact with Gaudreau's camp? Good lord.

It has been posted before they made him an offer at noon? but thought it would be history repeating itself.

Reactions: Monk and Fro

Tecmo

Jul 24, 2022
Ohio
Biggest thing bothering me about people complaining about the Gudbranson signing is the obvious positive impact it had on signing Gaudreau. Hilarious having people trying to act like it had zero impact, and yet mention Gaudreau “name dropping” Laine in interviews in damn near every post.

How much impact?? Who knows, but, it easily makes up for the $1-2 million you could argue he was “overpaid”, while also needing to mention that he ABSOLUTELY fills a need on the roster.
Excellent point. It's not always just about salary cap, contract years, dollars, or geography. The players are people just like us who develop relationships with their peers and such connections matter. If Gudbranson clearly contributed to Johnny's signing then that makes signing Gudbranson even better.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It has been posted before they made him an offer at noon? but thought it would be history repeating itself.
They also said in the video

"We're waiting on the owner to land to get his approval" that could've been 10 minutes or 2 hours.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
If Gudbranson wasn't a key aspect of recruiting Gaudreau, why would it be the first part of the video about signing Gaudreau? I feel like the front office is trying to tell us something without actually telling us.
Could be just optics after the fact, this way they certainly made it look like there's a connection...

What's wrong with Flynn btw? Just the personality, the little we see in the video? I have very little prior knowledge on the guy, seemed like an amicable second-hand to Jarmo's sometimes tough business face? Just wondering. Some positive attitude to smooth things over and allow the big boys keep their status and use less words.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Could be just optics after the fact, this way they certainly made it look like there's a connection...

What's wrong with Flynn btw? Just the personality, the little we see in the video? I have very little prior knowledge on the guy, seemed like an amicable second-hand to Jarmo's sometimes tough business face? Just wondering. Some positive attitude to smooth things over and allow the big boys keep their status and use less words.

Honestly not sure what people are talking about re: Flynn.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Bottom line, Johnny Gudreau signed with Columbus, Patrik Laine resigned with Columbus. A price was paid, losing Bjorky (definitely very hard for us) - you do have to give to get, even when landing the Star UFA, there is a price, this isn't baseball.

Props to Jarmo and his Management team on the signings - and this last draft was really unbelievable.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Bottom line, Johnny Gudreau signed with Columbus, Patrik Laine resigned with Columbus. A price was paid, losing Bjorky (definitely very hard for us) - you do have to give to get, even when landing the Star UFA, there is a price, this isn't baseball.

Props to Jarmo and his Management team on the signings - and this last draft was really unbelievable.
If this was baseball, we'd probably be Kansas City but I'd certainly hope we weren't Cincinnati and owned by Bob Castellini.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad