Colton Sissons gets Goaltender Interference Penalty After Scoring

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Really strange game between Avs and Preds. Another situation happened which I don't think any of us have ever seen before. Sissons on a semi-breakaway scores and then runs over Varlamov. Duchene did give him a push, but I personally doubt it was enough for the amount of contact that Sissons initiated. Well, the referees say his goal was within the rules, but his fall up was penalty so after doing the handshake line he went into the box.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
Yes I'm a Preds fan and yes I disagree vehemently. We kept getting shown the overhead view on our feed and Sissons was angled to miss Varlamov (albeit probably not by very much) but his angle changed as soon as Duchene shoved him. I thought the call was horseshit

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Yes I'm a Preds fan and yes I disagree vehemently. We kept getting shown the overhead view on our feed and Sissons was angled to miss Varlamov (albeit probably not by very much) but his angle changed as soon as Duchene shoved him. I thought the call was horse****

theres no doubt that his angle changed, but i really dont think duchene touched him that much for his angle to change so drastically and him to crash full on into varly. I think thats how the ref saw it as well based on the call, but i can understand your argument thats for certain.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
theres no doubt that his angle changed, but i really dont think duchene touched him that much for his angle to change so drastically and him to crash full on into varly. I think thats how the ref saw it as well based on the call, but i can understand your argument thats for certain.

Try watching Sissons' skates, his rear skate seems to be slightly elevated when contact was made. Between that and possibly preparing to hop over Varlamov's pad, that's going to amplify the effect of the push.
Either way, I don't like the idea of allowing a goal with a goalie interference penalty. Seems like it would promote reckless play.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Looking at that, wrong call. He got shoved into the goalie, very clearly.

He didn't have the greatest balance but he was making a left turn and it looked to be successful until he got pushed. Even if there was going to be contact, it wouldn't have been nearly as significant without the shove.

I think that players shoving others into their goalies should be penalized for friendly fire, to be honest. It's dangerous.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Yes I'm a Preds fan and yes I disagree vehemently. We kept getting shown the overhead view on our feed and Sissons was angled to miss Varlamov (albeit probably not by very much) but his angle changed as soon as Duchene shoved him. I thought the call was horse****

It's a quick series of events and a judgement has to be made.

Protecting the goalie is a priority so it's not surprising that the call was made.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I’ve never in my life seen someone score a goal and go to the box in the same play. Just kinda odd. The puck was pretty much in the net before contact was made, so I get allowing the goal. I guess it was pretty much a post-whistle penalty. Weird.

Fondue

Apr 25, 2007
Brooklyn
If they're going to start calling that, Corey Perry is going to have 40 pims just for that.
Not sure about Corey Perry specifically, but I agree with the overall message behind your post.

If this kind of call becomes common in the NHL, we're going to likely see the Power Forward go extinct in a generation of players. Similar to how enforcers slowly died out after instigator rule came into place.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I don't see how teammates shoving opposing players into their own goalies to draw penalties will help protect goaltenders.

I don't see it as surprising that a fanbase is upset that a call went against them.

Breaking News: home team fans boo ref decision

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I don't see it as surprising that a fanbase is upset that a call went against them.

Breaking News: home team fans boo ref decision
I don't want my team's defensemen shoving opposing forwards into my team's 35 year old goalie either. All to fish for a 2 minute minor penalty.

MusicCityPreds

Jul 27, 2015
Sissions was veering left before Duchene makes contact. He had nowhere to go and no opportunity to stop. The Avs also got away with a terrible crosscheck into Arvidsson after a Preds goal. The Avs need to stop checking guys into their goalie.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171018-124958.png
    Screenshot_20171018-124958.png
    729.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20171018-124923.png
    Screenshot_20171018-124923.png
    794 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20171018-124907.png
    Screenshot_20171018-124907.png
    773.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20171018-124652.png
    Screenshot_20171018-124652.png
    709.4 KB · Views: 4

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
How can it both be a goal and a penalty? That's a beer league call.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Because the infraction was after the goal was scored. Normally the infraction contributes to the goal, but in this case it happened after. It is also important to note that the penalty was assessed as charging, not interference.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

I don't agree with the actual call in this case, but the process was correct. The goal was scored, and then there was contact with the goaltender. You don't call back a goal due to goaltender interference if the interference comes after the puck crosses the line, and doesn't factor into the goaltender making the save.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
So you get a post-whistle penalty for getting shoved into the goalie? I don't agree with that.

c'mon. The forward knew what he was doing.

Didn't see him trying to slow down and stop and avoid contact.

I don't think he would've made contact. He slowed down just before scoring and had his skates in the right position to turn away from the goalie. That's a pretty standard backhand move..

Feels like a sympathy penalty, "well your goalie got run over and the goal stands, but here take a PP so you don't feel as bad"

Same thing as couple nights ago in Tampa Detroit game, where Hedman hooked Abby on a breakway but he lost his balance on his own and ran the goalie so he couldn't make the save. Ref initially was calling a penalty, but then when they decided it wasn't a goal as there was goalie interference, and looked the replay a couple of times, they gave Detroit a penalty shot after already announcing it was a normal penalty..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad