Value of: Colorado Players (Rantanen, Colton, etc.)

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I really don't think any of these guys are going to end up available.

The Nichushkin situation pretty much gives the Avs a "Get out of jail free" card this summer.

They can bring back Drouin and Mittelstadt, and mostly just run it back with the Top 9F and Top 4D they had this year. Give some rookies an opportunity to earn a spot to start the year as depth pieces and then load up at the deadline again with bottom 6 guys.
The Nik situation just kicks the can down the road a month.

Hey I’d do 3rd+Zegras if it’s something Duck’s fans would consider if they prefer to keep McTavish. I would still want Lacombe and/or Clara in there as well (which I’m sure is the easiest point to get around).

I don’t disagree with other teams might make more sense, but that doesn’t mean the Ducks couldn’t be a strong contender.
There is no way the Ducks trade both the 3OA and Zegras. They are still rebuilding. The 3OA has to be off the table.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
The Nik situation just kicks the can down the road a month.

There is no way the Ducks trade both the 3OA and Zegras. They are still rebuilding. The 3OA has to be off the table.

If they traded both they could run a top 9 of:

Vatrano-Carlsson-Rantanen
Gauthier-McTavish-Terry
Killorn-Strome-Leason

That’s a pretty solid top 9 and that top line could be extremely dominant between size and skill of Carlsson and Mikko with the finishing of Vatrano. Maybe the third pick is off the table, but I think Rantanen would be a good fit for their roster.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Gauthier-McTavish-Terry
Killorn-Strome-Leason

That’s a pretty solid top 9 and that top line could be extremely dominant between size and skill of Carlsson and Mikko with the finishing of Vatrano. Maybe the third pick is off the table, but I think Rantanen would be a good fit for their roster.
They could also shell out for Stephen Stamkos and save the picks.

Bottom line, you won't get 3OA and Zegras for Rants. That's unheard of. Completely unrealistic.

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
Especially if Landeskog and Nuke both don't come back then Rantanen should not be going anywhere. Would be impossible to replace all three of them. As it is, if Landeskog and Nuke have both played their last games for the Avs, from my perspective you guys need a net front/greasy goals kinda guy to fill out the top 6. Ideal for the Avs for Drouin to improve upon what he accomplished this year. Him, Lehkonen, and Rantanen can move between the top two lines as needed. Need one more high end guy. But that's just my outsider's view of things.
Yeah for sure. However, I think the Avs will keep him and pay him 12M+
This has its pros and cons. Avs will become even more top heavy with the lack of depth. The replacements for Landy and Nuke are probably never going to fit our expectations as they set the standard pretty high

Reactions: ameselare

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
They could also shell out for Stephen Stamkos and save the picks.

Bottom line, you won't get 3OA and Zegras for Rants. That's unheard of. Completely unrealistic.

Vorecek, 8th (Couturier) and a third for Jeff Carter, would be the best comparable trade. Karlsson for Norris+first+two seconds++ would be another high end trade for multiple high end pieces. Duchene got Girard+first+second+third+Bowers+.

Of those only Karlson would have had more value.

I’m not saying that the trade is likely to happen, but similar insane trades have happened in the last approx. 10 years or so.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Based on what I've read from Verbeek, he wants the team to get more competitive and push for the playoffs. They have so many high end prospects, there's really no need to continue basement dwelling - the young core needs to learn how to play winning hockey and play meaningful games. But I think you're right that a move like trading for Rantanen feels a few years too soon as their top guys are still very young and still learning the pro game.
I think taking steps to be competitive would include grabbing a good free agent or two to mix in with the young studs. Trading away those young studs would be premature and IMO set them back. I really hope he doesn’t go for an all out move to grab a big player via trade unless said player is coming cheap as part of a team needing to shed a big salary or something similar.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Vorecek, 8th (Couturier) and a third for Jeff Carter, would be the best comparable trade. Karlsson for Norris+first+two seconds++ would be another high end trade for multiple high end pieces. Duchene got Girard+first+second+third+Bowers+.

Of those only Karlson would have had more value.

I’m not saying that the trade is likely to happen, but similar insane trades have happened in the last approx. 10 years or so.
But it doesn't make sense for Anaheim. They are not a contender and wouldn't be one with Rants. Thus, it makes no sense at all to give up that kind of valuable future for a guy you also have to pay 12M. They can just sign Stamkos or Reinhart instead.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Hey I’d do 3rd+Zegras if it’s something Duck’s fans would consider if they prefer to keep McTavish. I would still want Lacombe and/or Clara in there as well (which I’m sure is the easiest point to get around).

I don’t disagree with other teams might make more sense, but that doesn’t mean the Ducks couldn’t be a strong contender.
Too rich for my liking. I actually like Zegras’ upside more than McTavish’s, though I think Mac will be a stud. Perhaps Verbeek would see it differently which is all that matters. I prefer they stay the course and dip into free agency to grab a couple or vets instead of trading away young stud pieces.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
But it doesn't make sense for Anaheim. They are not a contender and wouldn't be one with Rants. Thus, it makes no sense at all to give up that kind of valuable future for a guy you also have to pay 12M. They can just sign Stamkos or Reinhart instead.
Never under estimate the ability of an NHL gm to do something dumb.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
You are assuming either Stamkos or Reinhart want to go to the ducks

The Ducks need to exit there rebuild soon. It may not be a rantanen trade but Zegras + 3rd OA should bring back a franchise player.

Ducks should be aiming for Kings playoff spot next year. Upgrade the roster, insulate the young prospects and go for the playoffs

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
If Nichuskin is gone after his whole ordeal, I don’t see how the Avs can trade Rantanen. He was frustrating to watch this year, but when the guy actually gives a shit, he is one of the best wingers in hockey. I do think the Avs need to re-tool, but if there is a possibility Nichuskin and Landeskog aren’t ever coming back, it would be extremely risky to trade Rantanen. I don’t think there are many teams to make a deal with either.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
For Wood, sure. However the rest of the players listed not so much. Would Liljgren for Wood interest you at all?

Not at all.

I meant as add-ons in a Marner-Rantanen type trade even though I am pretty confident that Rantanen will be extended.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

Gauthier-McTavish-Terry
Killorn-Strome-Leason

Rantanen would be a good fit, but the timing is wrong. If the Ducks were maybe 2-3 years farther along in the rebuild, it would make more sense. Anaheim needs the youth to take over and a couple more holes to fill (primarily defensive RHD). By the time they're starting to be contenders, Rantanen would be 31 or 32 minimum making $11-$12 mil at least. Not saying Avs should accept, but the package the Ducks should offer is something around Terry as the big piece. It would probably get out bid, but that's fine... there are other teams in a better position to deal for Rantanen (or probably best fit is staying in Colorado).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad