Prospect Info: Colorado Avalanche Prospect Poll #4

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Let's get this going... I'm thinking let polls run for 3 days... Try to get the top 20 made - 60 days of polling. This puts us at August 31, 2013 when the #20 poll closes, just in time for TC/PS. I decided to make Nathan MacKinnon Consensus #1 because, quite frankly if you don't think he is the #1 prospect you don't know what you're talking about.

Simple Rules/How things work
1. Vote for who you think is the best prospect using your own criteria. It could either be who is the best now, the future, or both.
2. Always request to add a prospect to the list in order to replenish the list as the polling goes on
3. Always discuss these things. It gets boring if it's just Add: Malone for 30 posts until the next one comes out.

1. Nathan MacKinnon, C, Halifax Mooseheads (#1 overall, 2013 Draft) - Consensus #1
Elite Prospects Page: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=99204

2. Tyson Barrie, D, Lake Erie Monsters (#64 overall, 2009 Draft) - 71.76%
Elite Prospects Page: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15127

3. Duncan Siemens, D, Saskatoon Blades (#11 Overall 2011 Draft) - 55.93%
Elite Prospects Page: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=37238

Duncan+Siemens+St+Louis+Blues+v+Colorado+Avalanche+GfwqHobQc-Mx.jpg

ADDED: Colin Smith

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Elliott - See last thread's post as to why.

Add: Condon... I will get him on this list at some point

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
This was a hard call for me, but I went with Sgarbossa edging Bigras. Sgar has a great skill-set to go along with a passionate demeanor. He has proven himself relevant at every level despite often being written off. And he plays bigger and stronger then what he is. These kinds of players stick in the NHL and take their teams to new levels.

Bigras has the tools and potential to be a top pairing D, and I'm looking forward to seeing him. But for now, he just needs to get bigger and stronger. I can see him topping out this list in a year.

Elliot again, in my option, isn't a prospect. Even then, he has been passed up. Need to see some progress this year.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Aittokallio because he seems to have that "thing" that good goalies have. Kind of an unfrazzled oddness to their temperment and from all accounts, the physical tools to be good.

Add Condon I guess, because I've actually seen him play on TV.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
I had a tie with Elliott and Hishon so I picked Hishon because CLEARLY Elliott has enough representation lol.

Of course...Hishon needs to stay healthy for me to think he has a higher ceiling than Elliott.

Relaxedriley

Slightly Sober
Mar 1, 2012
Oregon
Bigras, Elliot's defense hasn't progressed enough + I'm not sure if hes gained 1 pound of muscle since the season before last. If he gets with a good strength and conditioning coach this vote will look stupid.

Edit: add Condon

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
I had a tie with Elliott and Hishon so I picked Hishon because CLEARLY Elliott has enough representation lol.

Of course...Hishon needs to stay healthy for me to think he has a higher ceiling than Elliott.

If Hishon recovers 100% I think he has a higher ceiling then everyone else.

Add Bourke.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

A lot of this is really tough... A ton of great quality, NHL-Calibre prospects.

Big questions like, "How do you compare a goaltender to a defender" and "How do you determine what is more important, NHL readiness or NHL Ceiling?"

Sami Aittokallio could easily be the second or third most valuable prospect just based on his NHL Ceiling as a solid starting goaltender.

But as for impact it's really hard to say anything less about Barrie and Elliott.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Shocking I must say, as a dub scout who was able to watch Barrie, Elliott, and Siemens the outcome is pretty intruding to me.

Even though I preferred Bartschi at the 11th overall pick, I love Siemens as much as RS does, but taking him over Elliott is a mistake IMO. They're definitely close and I admit it's hard to compare defensemen on the different sides of the spectrum, just Elliott's talent is much higher than Siemens.

Add either Bourke or Condon.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Elliott here but the next pick should be fun. Sgar, Aitto and Bigras would be my order for the next 3, but I assume that people will vote Bigras in next.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I almost voted Bigras because his skillset seems perfect for Avs and should translate very well to NHL, but I want to see more of him.

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008
Elliot, Bigras, Hish, Sgar will probably be my upcoming order. Not convinced yet on which goalie prospects will turn out the best.

Is Vincour still a prospect? If not, I'd say add Beaupre.

Edit to add:
My voting method is the order I feel they would be selected now if they were all available and we got to pick from these choices as they exist today. So both readiness and skill/potential are factored in to the risk/reward picture.

I'm still thinking maybe I should have put Bigras above Elliot, and thought hard about Hish/Sgar, but am happy with giving Hish the nod there. I would probably put Hishon above Barrie and Siemens too, if not for the injury fears, which knocks him down several spots. But I still think even with those concerns he'd go before Sgar, who I also like quite a bit.

Bigras went higher in a deep draft and was probably graded higher at their draft times, but Elliot has more track record, so I gave him the slight edge as of today. But based upon the FO's tire pumping, I feel like they would probably go Bigras over him.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm surprised so many people have Aitto over Pickard right now... Pickard was significantly better in Lake Erie last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad