News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part VI

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If it weren't for the games I'm forced to watch on that network, I would completely ignore it. It's been complete garbage for 20+ years.
Yep. I completely gave up after Favre-gate.

It’s sad that guys like the late Chris Mortenson busted their asses to build that network’s reputation only to watch themselves get marginalized in favor of lazy blowhards like Skip Bayless.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Haven't liked ESPN since NBC got the NHL deal. They became the thing they didn't want to be with their huge corporate structure.

I miss this version of ESPN overall...
1715220505965.png

But this is the best the US has ever done covering hockey...
1715220644177.png

Such a shame they couldn't rekindle the magic.

Bront

Jun 5, 2021
Speaking of ESPN, anyone know a way to watch the Sakic documentary without subscribing to that garbage?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'll say one thing in Adrian's defence, the morning after I watched that game I watched that press conference and he cheered me right up. Completely forgot about the loss after that. What a dingus.

Reactions: JudoKoala

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Yeah ESPN is truly awful in general anymore and their hockey coverage is the the absolute worst.
No one should be forced to watch the SVP Sportscenter. I have zero idea how he became iconic for them.

I don't really know who most of the game announcers are, but the play by play dudes have been obviously directed to scream when a goal is scored. I thought last night, man this dude screams for every goal and then realized that I was watching a different game now but they did the exact same scream.

I like Bucci in general, he's good for the main panel face. I try to give Emily Cohen the benefit of the doubt since she's more of a writer than a broadcast person and I also feel like they shoved her into that in front of camera role, but she's so awkward in every interaction. AND HER HAIR. You know you're doing badly when I notice your hair.

avalanche_country

Mar 3, 2004
Denver, CO
No one should be forced to watch the SVP Sportscenter. I have zero idea how he became iconic for them.

I don't really know who most of the game announcers are, but the play by play dudes have been obviously directed to scream when a goal is scored. I thought last night, man this dude screams for every goal and then realized that I was watching a different game now but they did the exact same scream.

I like Bucci in general, he's good for the main panel face. I try to give Emily Cohen the benefit of the doubt since she's more of a writer than a broadcast person and I also feel like they shoved her into that in front of camera role, but she's so awkward in every interaction. AND HER HAIR. You know you're doing badly when I notice your hair.
I liked bucci until he said he voted for kuch for mvp 😬

Reactions: Gumballhead

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC

I actually do like Bucci and even Levy. I have always liked Weeksy too. Also, I think Linda Cohn is genuinely super excited to have hockey back on the station.

IMO the problem lies with the producers. I’m not sure I can put my finger on why, but the whole production is just off. I guess that’s what you get when you have Mickey Mouse covering hockey.

For example one of their PBP guys is truly awful and has no personality. Messi and Subban shouldn’t be in the same building chemistry wise much less be on the same panel, either.

They leave much to be desired for hockey fans. TNT does a much better job, at least IMO.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I actually do like Bucci and even Levy. I have always liked Weeksy too. Also, I think Linda Cohn is genuinely super excited to have hockey back on the station.

IMO the problem lies with the producers. I’m not sure I can put my finger on it but the whole production is just off. I guess that’s what you get when you have Mickey Mouse covering hockey.

For example one of their PBP guys is truly awful and has no personality. Messi and Subban shouldn’t be in the same building chemistry wise much less be on the same panel, either.

They leave much to be desired for hockey fans. TNT does a much better job, at least IMO.

Agree with all of this. It's just cookie cutter, boilerplate production, because they don't care enough to provide a good product. Just like they don't care enough to work the bugs out of ESPN+. They bring in good money without caring, so why start?

Also, their analysts leave a lot to be desired now. I'm all for bringing women into the production, they need better representation. And I get that there's a double standard they have to deal with, where if they get too excited, they get accused of screeching, which must suck to deal with.

But it's also hard listening to AJ and Cassie Campell basically just provide flat, unemotional analysis during incredibly exciting moments. It kills the enthusiasm. They also don't really provide much insight, they basically just read all their pre-written talking points for three periods, and then describe what everyone can see on the replays.

Even though he used to be a bit of an Avs hater, Ray Ferraro has become by far the best, and perhaps only good analyst on ESPN IMO. I wish we had him more in the Avs series.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com

IMO the problem lies with the producers. I’m not sure I can put my finger on why, but the whole production is just off. I guess that’s what you get when you have Mickey Mouse covering hockey.

I run hot and cold on Levy, but i’ve been watching him forever so he’s comfortable. I’ve always loved Linda Cohn, she’s a real
one.

Reactions: 5280

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't care how you feel about Dater, he's right...
No he is not. Dater wasn’t lectured about profanity it was the fact that he blurted out some nonsensical question with that profanity made no sense whatsoever and confused everyone, including Nathan MacKinnon. And as usual instead of actual journalism Dater is just busy desperately trying to dunk on people online. It’s pathetic.

There's a difference. Dater was in all likelihood drunk when he asked MacKinnon that question.
He definitely was.

Reactions: MonsterMack

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
I have often defended Dater, as I thought he was a good writer. Also knowing his openness about being bullied, his pain issues and his substance abuse made me tolerant of his gaffes and misbehavior. But sometimes he's just so aggravating and petty it is difficult to keep accepting it so I don't read his stuff anymore.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I don't care how you feel about Dater, he's right...

I personally disagree.

One of these situations was a coach in the immediate aftermath of an embarrassing defeat losing his cool. The other was a nonsensical rambling incoherent question with completely unnecessary profanity by a journalist.

One was by a Kroenke employee. One was by a local beat guy.

These two things are not the same. Given the context - one was forgiveable but not good, and the other was unprofessional. Dater has to realize he isn't owed a spot in the media pool. You earn it, and you can lose it. And he lost it. Suck it up.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I have often defended Dater, as I thought he was a good writer. Also knowing his openness about being bullied, his pain issues and his substance abuse made me tolerant of his gaffes and misbehavior. But sometimes he's just so aggravating and petty it is difficult to keep accepting it so I don't read his stuff anymore.
I was taken in by his last maudlin sob story, but when he turned around and proved he didn't mean a word of it, I was done. He's now busy attacking anyone he can get within reach, not just people whom he feels slighted or disrespected him. Hell, he went after TMV the other day simply because he refused to confirm the Nichushkin news right when it was starting to come out.

Reactions: DanishAvsfan

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I try not to criticize Dater too much, because I know he struggles with many things emotionally and otherwise. That doesn't excuse all his behavior or make him right about everything. This being one IMO.

Coaches and players are allowed to curse in post games after emotional losses, because their emotions are tied up in it. They can even over react to a question to a certain extent.

Reporters aren't supposed to be emotional in their job. They're expected to be neutral, and act professionally at all times on site, because it's a privilege to cover a sports team.

This unfortunately is an achilles heel for Adrian, because he's an emotional person.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
I was taken in by his last maudlin sob story, but when he turned around and proved he didn't mean a word of it, I was done. He's now busy attacking anyone he can get within reach, not just people whom he feels slighted or disrespected him. Hell, he went after TMV the other day simply because he refused to confirm the Nichushkin news right when it was starting to come out.
Yes, unfortunately it seems that he's turning his own bitterness and traumas into a justification for his own attacks against others. Very sad. I have also had enough of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad