Post-Series Talk: Colorado Avalanche defeat the Winnipeg Jets, 4-1

Jixer19

Dec 19, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
Which one could he have realistically stolen? Through the critical middle 3 games, the Jets scored 2 goals or less every game. The total goal differential for that 3 game stretch, excluding the 3 empty netters, was 8. There were a few goals in those games Helle would like to have back, but most of them were either grade A chances or deflections/rebounds. Give him 4 back, that would have put him at a respectable .910. It would move his goals versus expected from -1 to +3. And the Jets still need 4 goals from somewhere just to even it up.

Maybe if he doesn't mishandle the puck against Parise in game 2 which lead to the GWG, the Jets could have hung around. But it's so hard to give them the benefit of the doubt, because Manson was scoring on a breakaway 2 minutes later. They hung Helle out to dry over and over and over again.
Wish I could like this more than once. Some people are blaming him for sure and when asked on which goals he could have had a chance on, no response. Although with your breakdown, they are still short goals as you said.

All that said though, good series Jets fans, was pretty civil between the groups

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Jets are what people think the Leafs are. Fold every playoff, stars vanish with no push back.

Leafs players actually make it a series every year and win some games.
Nah, they're basically different sides of the same "playoff failure" coin. The Jets have depth but no top end talent, the Leafs are the most top heavy team in the league.

The Jets have a lot more playoff success in the last decade than the Leafs do

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
Nah, they're basically different sides of the same "playoff failure" coin. The Jets have depth but no top end talent, the Leafs are the most top heavy team in the league.

The Jets have a lot more playoff success in the last decade than the Leafs do
I second this. You won't win anything with Scheifele as your #1 center. We need a superstar or two of we want to go far.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Avs lifted their foot when it became clear they‘d make the playoffs.
Rested and healthy to start the playoffs helped as much as fooling the others to believe they were not that good anymore.
With average goaltending they are a top team in the west.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Rested and healthy to start the playoffs helped as much as fooling the others to believe they were not that good anymore.
I don’t agree with this entirely - in game 82, the top guys were given the chance to sit out against the oilers, but chose to play, because they’d been getting mollywhopped for a good stretch. While Georgiev was absolutely melting down, the team d was also devolving, and they looked immensely frustrated. I think they were a work in progress until the very end

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Not really. We were just terrible down the stretch. Bednar and the leaders (mack) decided they need to re build momentum and play game 82 cause there was too much rest.

We were already a top team, if georgiev played better this year, the Avs would be the presidents trophy winners.

AvalancheRy

Feb 13, 2009
I think this series shows just how different the NHL playoffs are from the regular season. Moreso than any other sport even. It's almost two different games. I see a lot of people flaming Hellybuck, but to me it's really about the Jets not raising the game to the playoffs, and the Avs did.

Just take Makar vs. Morrissey. Morrissey is an hfboards darling and people were saying he should get Norris contention over Makar. But in this series Morrissey was just another dude and Makar showed why he is the best dman in the league, by far.

It took the Avs several bad playoff losses before they broke through. I think the Jets can ultimately do the same if they stick with this group.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I think the problem with Winnipeg is that the players that could keep up weren't all that physical and the ones that were physical couldn't keep up. The Avalanche looked comfortable after game 1... too comfortable imo.

When Colorado gets comfortable they're extremely hard to beat. Too many missed opportunities to get physical with their defense. Makar is hard to hit but teams have done it in the past with Success. You have to plant the seed in his head before he gets too comfortable.

There's players on the Avalanche you don't hit.. but there's players you have to or else.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I think the problem with Winnipeg is that the players that could keep up weren't all that physical and the ones that were physical couldn't keep up. The Avalanche looked comfortable after game 1... too comfortable imo.

When Colorado gets comfortable they're extremely hard to beat. Too many missed opportunities to get physical with their defense. Makar is hard to hit but teams have done it in the past with Success. You have to plant the seed in his head before he gets too comfortable.

There's players on the Avalanche you don't hit.. but there's players you have to or else.
Lowry fishing on Makars goal in game 4 is a great example. Should have laid him out, and should have been looking to do so all series.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Only today Avs fans can call me Jesse Pollock for believing the Avalanche had no chance against the Jets.

By the way, we have nothing to do with Jesse. We wish he wasn't a fan of us. Chris Jericho on the other hand, that's fine.

As for players, Neal Pionk and Logan Stanley were the ones that played poorly. Would say Samberg, but he's still learning and believe we need to go easy on him.

Jixer19

Dec 19, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, there was a time the team with the better defense and goaltending would win the series. Wild I know. But the way the game is now, you can outscore your flaws. Not always, but you can.
That still doesn't work for your whole putting these teams into another era thought though. If you put them into any decade/era of hockey, they are still the same two teams, with the same systems, doesn't matter if it is the dead puck era or the mid 80s. Now if you mean to swap the players with the mindset type players from those decades/eras, then you just get into something entirely else...

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Was hilarious in hindsight too see the overreaction to the shellacking the Avs got by the jets at the end of the regular season. right before the playoffs started
It wasn't just one game, the Jets were 3-0 against the Avs this season. I figured the Jets had a good chance to win that series myself. I should have known better, they always choke in the playoffs (neutral fan)

Reactions: ChuckFanForever

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
It's just because Mack wasn't dominant shift to shift like he's capable of. It just takes one good rush and some PP time and suddenly he's got 2 points on the board. The points will always be there for Mack and Rants but they're capable of being much better.
He didn’t need to be dominant shift to shift. Colorado is deeper than everyone thought. They blanket him, 2nd line comes roaring… shut down top 2 lines for a bit… 4th line pots one.

It wasn't just one game, the Jets were 3-0 against the Avs this season. I figured the Jets had a good chance to win that series myself. I should have known better, they always choke in the playoffs (neutral fan)
Just another example of regular season meaning nothing.

Also, that 7-0 thumping activated depth beast mode for the Avs.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Just another example of regular season meaning nothing.
I'm hoping my team aims for WC2 next year. Least amount of effort to make the playoffs. They do better on the road than at home anyways. Regular season means nothing

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Winnipeg simply cannot compete with their Dcore and slow team speed. Once they run into a speed demon team like the Avs that also has a wonderful puck moving defense they are done.

The Jets were constantly behind the play trying to catch up which leads to mistakes, tons of high danger shots and penalties. Hellybuck was left to the wolves and unsurprisingly the Avs lit him up.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Winnipeg simply cannot compete with their Dcore and slow team speed. Once they run into a speed demon team like the Avs that also has a wonderful puck moving defense they are done.

The Jets were constantly behind the play trying to catch up which leads to mistakes, tons of high danger shots and penalties. Hellybuck was left to the wolves and unsurprisingly the Avs lit him up.

Good point. With the Avs D, there is no break in terms of efficient, puck-moving defensemen on every pairing. Toews-Makar is obviously in their own world. Girard on the second pairing and Walker on the third pairing meant that the Avs could sustain smooth transition and driving play up the ice for all 60 minutes.

Reactions: TruePowerSlave

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Jets were never on the same level as Stars, Avs. The quality gap of the rosters was too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad