NCAA: College Football 2023 Off-season News and Notes: the Next Great Realignment

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There's a chance Juju can go elsewhere, but This is Rileys MO, he recruits elite QBs every other year. So there's a gap and avoids portal issues. It works out perfectly unless the guy before him decide to stay an extra year.
True, the ideal is what he has in 2023 with Williams a JR and Nelson a FR. Nelson sits and gets 2 years to show what he can do in 24 and 25 before this JuJu kid arrives in 26. Someone might come into the program in 25 and be a SO in 26 and more ready to win the job than an incoming True FR.

But, that's life of the big time programs. The HC will continuously stack QB classes.

Lane Kiffin, he brings in Dart a SO as a transfer portal guy in 22 to take over for Corral. Now, he brought in 2 others in LSU's Walker Howard a SO and former OK St. starter Sanders a SR via the Portal this year to battle for the job. Can get crowded in a hurry and now both Dart and Howard are both underclassmen who have used their undergrade transfer.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
UNLV has a golden opportunity at their hands.

In an effort to better distinguish themselves from the University of Nevada in Reno, they should adopt a new unique name, perhaps Nevada Tech University (Nevada State is already taken). The Rebels nickname, which carries unfortunate connotations, would be retired with the institution rebrand in favor of Blackjacks.

There are a few states where the two largest athletic programs are (state name) and (state name) Tech. Nevada would become one of those states.

This rebrand would attempt to discourage those in the Nevada Wolf Pack camp from calling their in-state rivals "Nevada Southern" in a derisive fashion referencing UNLV's old name.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
UNLV has a golden opportunity at their hands.

In an effort to better distinguish themselves from the University of Nevada in Reno, they should adopt a new unique name, perhaps Nevada Tech University (Nevada State is already taken). The Rebels nickname, which carries unfortunate connotations, would be retired with the institution rebrand in favor of Blackjacks.

There are a few states where the two largest athletic programs are (state name) and (state name) Tech. Nevada would become one of those states.

This rebrand would attempt to discourage those in the Nevada Wolf Pack camp from calling their in-state rivals "Nevada Southern" in a derisive fashion referencing UNLV's old name.

I was just about to post the same thing. Nevada collegiate rivalries are a huge issue right now

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
And the ACC will add two schools in California and another in Texas

lol oh f* off college football. I mean really this is insane.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Really weird teams to add. I think ACC has a built in clause with their TV contract if they fall below like a 14 team or 15 team threshold the deal becomes voided or something

Should've taken Oregon State or Wazzu over Cal tbh

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don’t think it will happen or would work if it did but I hope Oregon State and Wazzu try to go independent.

Reactions: Tony Romo

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Don’t think it will happen or would work if it did but I hope Oregon State and Wazzu try to go independent.
I was hoping they would find a soft landing spot in the chaos but I just don't see it unfortunately. Even a partial share in the Big 12 would be better but doubt that's happening either.

Honestly this makes the ACC weaker overall and more poachable as the next round of expansion chaos approaches toward the end of their GoR. Unlike the moves the Big 12 and B1G just made, these moves aren't additive for the ACC. In fact I'll go ahead and call my shot: in 31 the Big 12, which will be the first of the 4 that are left to go to market, will get a TV contract making north of 15m more than the ACC is making. That will set the stage and the next round of re-allignment will see no less than 8 teams leaving the ACC. Possibly as many as 12 if the SEC joins the B1G and Big 12 in going to 20+.

Last edited:

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
True, the ideal is what he has in 2023 with Williams a JR and Nelson a FR. Nelson sits and gets 2 years to show what he can do in 24 and 25 before this JuJu kid arrives in 26. Someone might come into the program in 25 and be a SO in 26 and more ready to win the job than an incoming True FR.

But, that's life of the big time programs. The HC will continuously stack QB classes.
After watching the first two games, I wouldn’t be surprised if Miller Moss is QB1 next season while Malachi gets another Year under his belt. Nelson is coming back from a shoulder injury, and could use another year as backup. Moss was a 4-star coming out of high school and has looked pretty good during mop up duty.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
After watching the first two games, I wouldn’t be surprised if Miller Moss is QB1 next season while Malachi gets another Year under his belt. Nelson is coming back from a shoulder injury, and could use another year as backup. Moss was a 4-star coming out of high school and has looked pretty good during mop up duty.
Moss needs to figure out where he stands by the end of this season. Cause he doesn’t want to sit in 2024 as the backup.

He enrolled in Jan 2021. So this is already year 3 with usc program. I’m guessing he’s taken a RS year since he’s listed as a SO. So he needs to be playing in 2024 as he will be down to 2 years of eligibility after this season since he is a post Covid student and doesn’t get the super senior year.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Hard to see Nelson and Manning not starting next season. They are both too good.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hard to see Nelson and Manning not starting next season. They are both too good.
Then Miller Miss needs to transfer. Ewers, will he show out well enough this season to be a high draft pick in the nfl. If Ewers has to transfer he has to redshirt as he already transfer from OSU for during his undergrad. So he needs to perform. Or he remains at Texas and goes into a QB battle. Assuming he graduates next season he is then a grad transfer and can play in 2025 the same as transferring and redshirting. But that’s jumping the gun after 1 game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad