Confirmed with Link: Colin White - Contract Talks (Signed ATO Post #634)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Purely semantic question: if White signs an ATO could he still go back to college?

Not worried about that at all, and I hope that if he does sign an ATO this doesn't whip people into a frenzy... I am curious, though.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Purely semantic question: if White signs an ATO could he still go back to college?

Not worried about that at all, and I hope that if he does sign an ATO this doesn't whip people into a frenzy... I am curious, though.

I don't think he could. I'm not 100% sure on this, but as far as i know, any contract that pays you to play hockey makes it so he can't go back. But maybe someone else knows for sure?

The way the guys on tsn1200 are talking, both sides are committed to turning pro from now on.

I would think that if they wait until the summer to sign, they would still invite him to come hang around with the team and live with a teamate. Even if he can't partake in any on ice action(game or practice) he could work out with the team, watch videos, get to know the guys, receive coaching/training advice, etc. Just generally learn first hand what it's like to be a pro. The dedication.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Nope. from what I understand, he couldn't even play rookie tournament games (or maybe it's pre-season games) without losing eligibility. The second he plays a game against another team, he's done.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

Once you set foot on any semi-pro or pro ice as an NCAA player lose eligibility to play. It would be the same if he played for an OHL team or AHL team.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Colin White Discussion Part 1:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1917489

TSN1200 says theyre actively talking and very close. Apparently what they're discussing is whether it will be an entry level contract right now or a tryout contract in binghamton for the rest of the year, and then sign his entry level deal in the summer.

Continue discussion.

TSN1200 guys use the same sources as all of us, Twitter, these guys are just going off of what Garrioch's article said in the Citizen, they really have no insight on this.

The biggest issue here is that Randy Lee is handling this contract negotiation.

Both the player and the team are digging in their heels here. Just sign him to an ELC, he can give us more than what Wingels/Kelly currently do and Dorion's moves suggest that this team is in "win-now" mode, so why not dress the lineup that gives you the best chance to win?

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Aren't they allowed to go to rookie tournament as long as they pay their own way (and could they theoretically do that in an ATO)?

My real question, I guess - does eligibility hinge on playing a pro game, or being a paid professional? My understanding was it is the latter.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Aren't they allowed to go to rookie tournament as long as they pay their own way (and could they theoretically do that in an ATO)?

My real question, I guess - does eligibility hinge on playing a pro game, or being a paid professional? My understanding was it is the latter.

From what I understood, you can pay your own way to training camp so long as you aren't there in excess of a certain threshold (forget how many day), and don't accept anything (some argue that even accepting a ball cap could jeopardize your eligibility). Playing a game in the tourney I think would be a problem.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
From what I understood, you can pay your own way to training camp so long as you aren't there in excess of a certain threshold (forget how many day), and don't accept anything (some argue that even accepting a ball cap could jeopardize your eligibility). Playing a game in the tourney I think would be a problem.

Cool, thanks Micklemouse. That makes sense.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

Also, they aren't allowed to miss classes and from what i understand school was starting almost at the same time has the rookie tournament.

Maybe someone can confirm the later, because the first one is almost a garanteed.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't think he could. I'm not 100% sure on this, but as far as i know, any contract that pays you to play hockey makes it so he can't go back. But maybe someone else knows for sure?

The way the guys on tsn1200 are talking, both sides are committed to turning pro from now on.

I would think that if they wait until the summer to sign, they would still invite him to come hang around with the team and live with a teamate. Even if he can't partake in any on ice action(game or practice) he could work out with the team, watch videos, get to know the guys, receive coaching/training advice, etc. Just generally learn first hand what it's like to be a pro. The dedication.

I don't think there'll be any half measures. Very simple, White will sign and burn a year of his ELC. He is 20 so unless I am wrong he will burn a year of his ELC regardless of where he plays.

I'd still like to see a solid source of this ATO business. It seems like most of the speculation roots to Garrioch suggesting it after Tage Thompson got one while completely ignoring that with Tage Thompson the ATO was a formality as his ELC would have slid a year since he will not be 20 years old in Sept 2017. It seems as if Garrioch saw this happen with Tage Thompson, didn't actually do any journalistic investigation as to WHY Thompson got an ATO and started throwing out the idea that the Sens could give White an ATO on TSN. Maybe I am wrong here and there is a source from the team suggesting White take an ATO, but when was the last time a high end college prospect whose ELC wasn't going to slide took an ATO?

For those asking, if White does take an ATO, it would likely be in conjunction with a 2017 ELC being signed pre-emptively so it isn't like he'd be putting himself in a situation where he signs an ATO, loses College eligibility, but doesn't have an ELC in place. Even so, it seems like a very very farfetched suggestion.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I believe once they sign a pro contract that ends any college eligibility.

TSN1200 guys use the same sources as all of us, Twitter, these guys are just going off of what Garrioch's article said in the Citizen, they really have no insight on this.

Both the player and the team are digging in their heels here. Just sign him to an ELC, he can give us more than what Wingels/Kelly currently do and Dorion's moves suggest that this team is in "win-now" mode, so why not dress the lineup that gives you the best chance to win?

There is absolutely no evidence that White as a rookie prospect at this point in his career is a better option than two NHL players with yrs of experience in the NHL. That's just fan bias & a pipe dream to think he would be an impact IMO but these are just opinions. I do think he will get a few shifts in a game to burn a yr off his ELC though & will probably be signed by the end of the week. I don't see any kind of advantage to White to sign an ATO.

I have been to several rookie tournaments & I have yet to see a college player play in the tournament & then return to school. I believe all of the players that play in the rookie tournament have signed some kind of contract Either they are on their ELC, playing in the AHL under contract or on some pro tryout contract. Signing any pro contract would terminate his college eligibility is my understanding.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Lets be honest here. Dorion sent him with parameters to follow.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Even if he is gonna to stick in the NHL initially, it would be awesome to see them throw him in the Binghamton game at CTC on Friday. Sens play at home on Thursday, and two hours away in MTL on Saturday so even if he is with the NHL squad, it is plausible.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Well couldn't he sign his ELC, go to Bingo for some game, than they bring him up for THE GAME he has to play to burn his year?

And if he was to play in bingo, wouldn't it burn his first year? I know there's money involve too. But if White really want to burn a year, but the sens aren't willing to give him NHL time, because of the playoff race, that's a pretty simple solution, no?

Equally as scary imo
And why? It's like when Dorion was handling some contract negociation, but it was Murray in the end that was signing.

Before everything his sign, they talk with the GM, i guess.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Lets be honest here. Dorion sent him with parameters to follow.

From what I have seen of their relationship during development camps Dorion doesn't tell Garrioch or Brennan what to write, he does up date them when things are going down & sometimes will give them a spoof. I think it was a simple deduction of the options open to White that make some sense & we are seeing other teams are doing similar things with their players.

It's silly to think Boo Boo is a pawn of the team since he has written numerous critical columns regarding the team over the yrs too. My guess is that White signs soon an ELC tonight & plays a few shifts in a game before the end of the season to burn a yr off the ECL & we don't see him again until the development camp & he will likely play in the rookie tournament this fall before going to training camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad