Confirmed with Link: Colin Greening Clears Waivers | Called up for west coast trip |

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Someone might take a chance on him at the league minimum salary if we buy him out, sure.

Otherwise, on his current contract, I can't see any team being interested unless it's just to swap bad contracts with us.

My favorite underachiever for underachiever trade was Brian Lee for Gilroy. Bad trade for both teams, as it were. It's also a good example as to why hoping that an underachiever will magically transform in a new uniform is usually a pipe dream.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I expect Murray will sacrifice a pick to move him in the near future. Don't see anyway he's still in our org by the time next season starts.

A pick, unless it is a first or possibly a second, isn't going to help Murray move Greening.

Greening's contract is the problem, specially given the guy can't be a regular on the 22nd place team in the league.

Bingo is the best place for him, gets to play regularly and possibly re-establish his game and rebuild his confidence.

Wish him well.

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Ya, and Jonathan Cheechoo won the Richard trophy; past achievements don't hide the obvious regression. Or at least they shouldn't if your organization had competent pro scouts.

Not really convinced he regressed as much as he just didn't have the requisite skills to play on this team any longer.

Once Hoffman showed he could be a top six LW, Greening's only hope was to grab a LW spot on the 3rd/4th line.

Of course the Hoffman promotion forced Michalek to the 3rd line LW, given Condra's solid play, this leaving Greening as a 4th liner.

While Greening is big and skates well, he doesn't have the temperament of a Neil, something I believe MacLean/Cameron both wanted. So he became expendable.

The team has 23 players on the roster today, Smith is skating again and once he is available another player will be faced with a trade or waivers and a potential demotion to the AHL.

The likelihood is a few other may face a similar fate prior to the trade deadline, allowing the team can get a look at Puempel and Prince.

Fact is situations like Greening's aren't always about regression, sometimes it is just the fact that younger players in the system just have the better skill set and need to be given the opportunity.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Not really convinced he regressed as much as he just didn't have the requisite skills to play on this team any longer.

Once Hoffman showed he could be a top six LW, Greening's only hope was to grab a LW spot on the 3rd/4th line.

Of course the Hoffman promotion forced Michalek to the 3rd line LW, given Condra's solid play, this leaving Greening as a 4th liner.

While Greening is big and skates well, he doesn't have the temperament of a Neil, something I believe MacLean/Cameron both wanted. So he became expendable.

The team has 23 players on the roster today, Smith is skating again and once he is available another player will be faced with a trade or waivers and a potential demotion to the AHL.

The likelihood is a few other may face a similar fate prior to the trade deadline, allowing the team can get a look at Puempel and Prince.

Fact is situations like Greening's aren't always about regression, sometimes it is just the fact that younger players in the system just have the better skill set and need to be given the opportunity.

OPtions:
Smith traded
Wiercioch traded/waived
Condra waived/traded
Phillips traded
Neil traded
Pageau demoted

We can't/won't put 5 mil NHL salary in Bingo. As much as it pains me Pageau will go back down.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
It's happening - the younger guys are pushing out the vets. This is a good thing, and hopefully part of a larger trend... because that's supposed to be the plan.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
A pick, unless it is a first or possibly a second, isn't going to help Murray move Greening.

Greening's contract is the problem, specially given the guy can't be a regular on the 22nd place team in the league.

Bingo is the best place for him, gets to play regularly and possibly re-establish his game and rebuild his confidence.

Wish him well.

Man, wouldn't that be crazy if we packaged up our first round pick with Greening to get rid of him, and that lotto ticket turned into McDavid?

That would be the disaster of the century right there.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Wish him well.

Tbh, Greening's contract shouldn't prevent him from being moved, as we can retain half of it (still cheaper than buying him out after all). So if we retain about 1.5 and Greening is only costing the other team 1.5 ish, that's not so bad. The problem is he has 1 point all season and it wasn't even on an actual goal as it was awarded on a penalty. Every GM in the league knows they have a guy in there system that can get better production than that, even if it means playing one of their defensive dmen as a forward.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Tbh, Greening's contract shouldn't prevent him from being moved, as we can retain half of it (still cheaper than buying him out after all). So if we retain about 1.5 and Greening is only costing the other team 1.5 ish, that's not so bad. The problem is he has 1 point all season and it wasn't even on an actual goal as it was awarded on a penalty. Every GM in the league knows they have a guy in there system that can get better production than that, even if it means playing one of their defensive dmen as a forward.

If the media can be regarded as a reliable source, the Sens are willing to take back salary this season but not for the next two, so contract is a problem IMO.

Greening's lack of production probably has little to do with him clearing waivers.

Fact is GMs in playoff contention are currently looking at clearing cap space to give them the opportunity to be buyers at the trade deadline, so guys like Greening don't appeared on their radar.

The rest of the GMs are in selling mode and don't want to take on contracts with term remaining, so again guys like Greening never get any consideration.

IMO players that are producing less than their contract values are just not marketable in the league given the cap downward pressure.

Cap downward pressure rationale, recently Bettman said "When we gave you the rough estimate/projection in December, the same estimate I gave to the clubs, we were projecting a cap of $73 million, assuming the 5 percent increment under the CBA, based on the Canadian dollar at 88 cents to the US dollar to the rest of the year. At 82 cents, the cap would be $72.2 million and at 80 cents, the cap would be $71.7 million."

Today the CDN dollar fell through 80 cents to the US dollar today and will likely go lower in the coming months. Not exactly great news for the 21 teams close to the existing cap, definitely not a financial climate that encourages GMs to take any additional contract risk.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I believe that would be half for this season only but he still has two yrs left on that contract which the other team would be on the hook for the full amount. It's quite likely the Sens will buy him out at the end of the season so that he has an opportunity to play somewhere else rather than be stuck in the minors although there is no guarantee he will get picked up by anyone else. More likely he is off to Europe or the KHL but could also end up in the AHL for next season.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
If the media can be regarded as a reliable source, the Sens are willing to take back salary this season but not for the next two, so contract is a problem IMO.

Greening's lack of production probably has little to do with him clearing waivers.

Fact is GMs in playoff contention are currently looking at clearing cap space to give them the opportunity to be buyers at the trade deadline, so guys like Greening don't appeared on their radar.

I'd argue that his lack of production has everything to do with clearing waivers. If hr produced at a .45-.55 ppg pace like his first 2 years in the league, a team would claim him and look at him as a deadline pickup.

You don't think if he had 8-12 points in 20 games that he would get picked up?

I think almost every team would have put in a claim if he was producing like he used to.

WhiteLight*

Only hope for Greening is that he starts putting up nice numbers for Bingo and Murray convinces other teams that he lacked the opportunity in Ottawa and wasn't being used correctly.

I'm not holding my breath though. I liked him when he was called up in 2011 but his compete level has declined every year he's been in the league. Mr. Greening has lost the eye of the tiger. This is a fitting punishment

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I'd argue that his lack of production has everything to do with clearing waivers. If hr produced at a .45-.55 ppg pace like his first 2 years in the league, a team would claim him and look at him as a deadline pickup.

You don't think if he had 8-12 points in 20 games that he would get picked up?

I think almost every team would have put in a claim if he was producing like he used to.

If he produced at a .45 pace he wouldn't have gone on waivers, simply because he would have produce 21 points in 46 games and be the 8th - 9th leading scorer on the team.

It would also place him in the 190 - 200 range for production in the league.

Greening did produce at a .45 pace in 2010-11 and 2011-12, then .40 in 2012-13.

So history shows he can make a reasonable contribution.

IMO there are GMs that could use a player producing at the .40 - .45 pace and would take a chance that on a player based on that history and the belief the player just needs a change of scenery.

However I just don't believe there is a GM that wants to add that player for 2 more years at a cost of $6M, too much risk.

WhiteLight*

If he produced at a .45 pace he wouldn't have gone on waivers, simply because he would have produce 21 points in 46 games and be the 8th - 9th leading scorer on the team.

It would also place him in the 190 - 200 range for production in the league.

Greening did produce at a .45 pace in 2010-11 and 2011-12, then .40 in 2012-13.

So history shows he can make a reasonable contribution.

IMO there are GMs that could use a player producing at the .40 - .45 pace and would take a chance that on a player based on that history and the belief the player just needs a change of scenery.

However I just don't believe there is a GM that wants to add that player for 2 more years at a cost of $6M.

I think there would be. The problem is, Greening has a 1.94% chance of rebounding into that kind of player. Right now he's an average 4th liner at best

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Only hope for Greening is that he starts putting up nice numbers for Bingo and Murray convinces other teams that he lacked the opportunity in Ottawa and wasn't being used correctly.

I'm not holding my breath though. I liked him when he was called up in 2011 but his compete level has declined every year he's been in the league. Mr. Greening has lost the eye of the tiger. This is a fitting punishment

does he need to re-clear waivers before he can be traded?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
does he need to re-clear waivers before he can be traded?

Im not sure if its a rule, but a team would have to be nuts to spend assets to acquire a guy, then potentially be stuck paying half his salary and losing the player when recalling him.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think there would be. The problem is, Greening has a 1.94% chance of rebounding into that kind of player. Right now he's an average 4th liner at best

Your 1.94% is rubbish. He clearly has a 4.545% chance.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
It's funny that 2 years ago, Greening was considered a part of the "younger guys" group.

I only saw him and Condra as stop gaps until better quality younger guys were developed to push him aside, and it has now happened. I pegged Condra in the same way but he has done better at holding a spot with the team.

sens2k9

Aug 8, 2008
I only saw him and Condra as stop gaps until better quality younger guys were developed to push him aside, and it has now happened. I pegged Condra in the same way but he has done better at holding a spot with the team.

Condra is a good bottom 6 player. Once you move him/let him walk, you're just looking for another player with the exact same skillset to fit into your bottom 6.
There is absolutely no reason to move him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
WTH....

McKenzie said:
“As for the Greening situation, I still won’t be surprised if there is a trade in the works at some point. What would have to happen, I think, is Ottawa would either have to take back salary on Greening or the other option would be, with Colin Greening having two years left on his deal after this year at more than $2-million (average annual value), if you could find a player who’s got only one-year left on his deal for the same sort of money, then I think you could see the Senators try and make that deal for a player who might not contribute even what they think Greening would contribute, but would get them out from underneath the financial burden of (Greening’s) second year. I think Ottawa in the past has been prepared to eat some of the money on his salary this year, but did not want to get locked into a long-term financial commitment for a player that’s not on your roster. But I still think there are still some options out there. My understanding is there were three teams in the West and two teams in the East that have made inquiries on Greening. It’s not that they don’t like him as a player, it’s just that they don’t like the fact that he’s got two years left at the kind of money he’s got left. And if they can shoot another body back to Ottawa and alleviate some of the short-term concerns, then some of those teams are prepared to take on that extra year.â€

The plot thickens...

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
When does he play his first game?!

This weekend. Just said on the radio he'll be playing with Grant and Puempel.

At this point in his career, this is the best thing that could happen to him. He needs playing time. Maybe he'll turn into the old Greening? Who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad