Value of: Colin Blackwell

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I’m not sure that it’s worth moving him.

Expansion eligible I believe... AAV 725k this year and next, if he gets plucked the great. If he plays in the top 6 next year again, and performs the same, making nothing, considering his chemistry with Strome and Panarin then that’s fine too. If someone wants to overpay then that’s cool but if I’m getting a 4th then don’t bother.

Last edited:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I’m not sure that it’s worth moving him.

Expansion eligible I believe... AAV 725k this year and next, if he gets plucked the great. If he plays in the top 6 next year again then great.

Difficult to keep him in the top 6 if kakko/laf/krav develop at all.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Difficult to keep him in the top 6 if kakko/laf/krav develop at all.

Ok, take him out if the other guys are a better fit next year but you’d still have the fallback option and injury replacement. If someone has a burning desire and offers a 2nd then sure but I see that as unlikely. I’d rather have him down the stretch and maybe next year than a future mid round pick.

Reactions: ETTER DE

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
45 point pace, and he's basically an NHL rookie, albeit a 28 year old one. That production, at that cap, should be able to get at least a 3rd.

If he's the next Carter Verhaeghe with already more NHL experience then that could be quite the steal if only for a 3rd. Has he been consistent? Also what's keeping him in the lineup ahead of the kids, or are they just not that good?

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think Rangers keep him for now and trade Strome and Howden. A good cheap versatile forward is more needed than a 3rd rounder. If he keeps playing the way he does he likely gets traded for 2nd rounder sometime next season.

Reactions: bernmeister

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I think Rangers keep him for now and trade Strome and Howden. A good cheap versatile forward is more needed than a 3rd rounder. If he keeps playing the way he does he likely gets traded for 2nd rounder sometime next season.
Quinn loves Howden like AV loved Glas. Rangers will move Strome before Howden

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
If he's the next Carter Verhaeghe with already more NHL experience then that could be quite the steal if only for a 3rd. Has he been consistent? Also what's keeping him in the lineup ahead of the kids, or are they just not that good?

He’s ahead because he produces, and because Strome and Panarin perform well with a grittier guy who can cycle down low. That’s why they did so well with Fast last year even if Fast didn’t score as much.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Why move him? He brings a ton of energy to the lineup and his production is a bonus. Regardless of what peoples perceived value may be, teams win with guys like Blackwell. He gives you the same effort every night, plays both ends of the rink and will slot in up and down the lineup. Why move him for a 4th?

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
`The one thing about Blackwell that stands out to me is that he always seems to be in a faster gear than other players. He moves his feet. You never see him just gliding around. Coaches are always going to be head over heels for players that hustle. I don't know if he was always like this or if it just clicked that if he wanted to be an NHL player he was going to have to want it more than the guys with the fancy pedigrees but that's it in a nutshell for me. If you could bottle up Blackwell hustle and apply it to the rest of the young players on this team I think they would win a Hell of a lot more than they ever lose. There's really no point in trading him for the return. It's different if you just want to clear space for a younger guy to take a bigger role and you don't want to have Blackwell sitting, but as said before, a 3rd or a 4th rounder isn't enough to warrant the trade.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Hes taking advantage of his opportunities with AP and RS.

Shooting the puck when its on his stick as a plumber is supposed to do when they are playing up the lineup.

No knock.

Hes a solid 3rd/4th line tweener that the Rangers should keep for when their younger studs come into their own and rightfully displace him.

Get an offer tjat is an overpayment? Absolutely move him, but otherwise keep him.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan

Shooting the puck when its on his stick as a plumber is supposed to do when they are playing up the lineup.

No knock.

Hes a solid 3rd/4th line tweener that the Rangers should keep for when their younger studs come into their own and rightfully displace him.

Get an offer tjat is an overpayment? Absolutely move him, but otherwise keep him.

Isn't he on a league minimum deal at the mo? Will the Rangers really want to bring him back when he'll ask for a lot more?

SML2

Jan 1, 2018

No knock.

Agree. If anyone wants to bitch about hom being ahead of them in the lineup, they can watch what he does and do themselves. I still don't really like him getting PP time bit as long as he is producing I guess there isn't much to argue about.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It’s not like this guy is getting tons and tons of ice time. He’s averaging a bit over 13 minutes and sometimes the Rangers even use him on the PK. Prorate 12 goals in 31 games over an 82 game season—what you get is a guy scoring at a clip somewhere around 32 goals a season. That’s pretty good value for a guy making 750K and averaging 13 minutes a night.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Signed through next season, getting league minimum, and has been a very productive player. Good 2 way instincts, skates hard every shift.

Comparing him to what Goodrow and Coleman got last season for being very cheap productive players on 2 year contracts, I don't think its unreasonable that a strong contender would offer a 2nd for him. He'd be excellent depth and if there is a slew of injuries hes shown he can be productive with highly talented players.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
This is a classic overpay situation. Like this guy and he’s filled in admirably up and down the Line up. But no pedigree. He’s signed through next year so NYR happy to keep him unless someone shows up with a 2nd IMO.

Reactions: bernmeister

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Isn't he on a league minimum deal at the mo? Will the Rangers really want to bring him back when he'll ask for a lot more?

Define "a lot more". Unless he tears it up next year, he isn't getting a huge raise, and he isn't getting a lot of term. There's likely to be very little risk in re-signing him.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Rangers fans lost their mind when useless Lemieux only got a 4th but are perfectly fine if a very useful Blackwell returns a 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad