Player Discussion: Cole Sillinger thread

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
GOOD, VERY GOOD... :nod: If we really reabuild we could try him with Boone Jenner or Eric Robinson as his wingers. Of course only for a few games if it`s possible.

Last edited:

pled

Sep 7, 2009
the man, the 1C for 2021, need to know the bonus money. It will be important, I hope.

Last edited:

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
No and Im pretty sure he was already commited to returning to the WHL anyway if he doesnt make the NHL
According to Porty-
"Per the CHL’s agreement with the NHL, its players are not allowed to play in the American Hockey League until they’re 20 years old. The USHL has no such age restriction with the AHL, mostly because it’s a feeder program for U.S. colleges.
Put another way: If the Blue Jackets think Sillinger is not quite ready for the NHL, but he wouldn’t be challenged enough playing for Medicine Hat, they have the option of sending him to AHL Cleveland."

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
According to Porty-
"Per the CHL’s agreement with the NHL, its players are not allowed to play in the American Hockey League until they’re 20 years old. The USHL has no such age restriction with the AHL, mostly because it’s a feeder program for U.S. colleges.
Put another way: If the Blue Jackets think Sillinger is not quite ready for the NHL, but he wouldn’t be challenged enough playing for Medicine Hat, they have the option of sending him to AHL Cleveland."
He really can play in the AHL? I thought it was WHL or NHL only with his Medicine Hat contract unless he was fully released from that. I read that after his USHL season he'd return to Medicine Hat

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He really can play in the AHL? I thought it was WHL or NHL only with his Medicine Hat contract unless he was fully released from that. I read that after his USHL season he'd return to Medicine Hat
I believe the key thing is that he hasn't officially returned there yet. He was drafted out of Sioux Falls so he appears to follows USHL rules.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Cole Sillinger is an ideal candidate to go to Cleveland. He's filled out. He's plenty skilled enough. And I've always gotten the impression watching his shift-by-shift vids that he "gets away with things" at the junior level. Like he plays to the talent level around him, and that he could play smarter if he had to.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Ugh. Just let the kid play juniors. Very very few kids are ready for AHL/NHL action at 18, and if hes “too good” for juniors then who cares let him dominate and grow his confidence.

Reactions: Carl33 and Fro

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ugh. Just let the kid play juniors. Very very few kids are ready for AHL/NHL action at 18, and if hes “too good” for juniors then who cares let him dominate and grow his confidence.

I get the sense watching Cole Sillinger that

1) he overflows with confidence and has already been dominating for a long time.

2) he doesn't always use his teammates well, which isn't surprising because he's by far the best scoring threat on the ice.

3) his shot selection is sometimes weak, he'll just fling pucks on net from anywhere, and they'll go in at that level so why not.

4) he takes shifts off and seems kind of bored at times.

Yeah not every kid is ready for the AHL but not every kid is best off staying in juniors. You have to look case by case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad