Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
I would like to see Cole back in the top 6 for a few games. His play has improved and maybe getting back up there will turn his luck.

Yeah, agree. It would be a vote of confidence and he's so good defensively I just can't see it hurting us. He played well there for most of the year so I don't see why we wouldn't, seems like a lot of upside if he catches fire.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I would like to see Cole back in the top 6 for a few games. His play has improved and maybe getting back up there will turn his luck.
Top 6 for Perfetan....keeping pounding a square peg in a round hole....not speedy or fast enough or big enough for success in the top 6 IMO!

• Haha
Reactions: ps241

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Top 6 for Perfetan....keeping pounding a square peg in a round hole....not speedy or fast enough or big enough for success in the top 6 IMO!
He did play well the first couple months. But has not been productive since.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
The first priority is always the team and the coach controls who he wants out there. If he has no intentions of doing anything more than rotate Cole in the press box than send him to the Moose. He can at least get some quality TOI and getting that confidence back.
I’m just thinking if he is part of the future Jets or can he be a top 6 on another team. Hopefully it all gets figured out. At the start of the year is more Coles pace. He has been streaky in the past and that was his first bad one in the NHL. No matter what anyone says on here the young man has to play to get better the AHL seems like the spot this season

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yeah hopefully just rotate a player out if the line isn't working. (Obv Barron/Perfetti with Iafallo having the +8 to saving throws via VET).

Have some talent on the line so hopefully they can win their matchups in the playoffs.

If they had balls though they'd be putting Perfetti back in the top 6 for a few games until Vilardi is healthy to see what that looks like heading into the playoffs where the Jets tend to shatter into pieces physically. Alas.

So one game, how can you demote him now?

:popcorn:

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
So one game, how can you demote him now?

:popcorn:
Let’s see how the 2nd line goes tonight. They need to show that the last game was no fluke. If they can build some chemistry before the playoffs helps the club role 4 lines. It’s all about peaking at the right time. Hopefully getting that losing streak out of the way before the playoffs scared the guys. Everybody has to play hard and not just a handful of players. Bones has to keep the guys going and get the best out of them.
Cole has to keep going to the net and getting in the tough spots, keep shooting first. He looks more confident and it helps the team if the line contributes consistently.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Let’s see how the 2nd line goes tonight. They need to show that the last game was no fluke. If they can build some chemistry before the playoffs helps the club role 4 lines. It’s all about peaking at the right time. Hopefully getting that losing streak out of the way before the playoffs scared the guys. Everybody has to play hard and not just a handful of players. Bones has to keep the guys going and get the best out of them.
Cole has to keep going to the net and getting in the tough spots, keep shooting first. He looks more confident and it helps the team if the line contributes consistently.

I'd say in the same way you can say the Jets playing great D for over half the year wasn't a fluke, that Perfetti playing great for half the year wasn't a fluke either. They were both down for similar times, but the Jets D didn't get scratched :sarcasm:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd say in the same way you can say the Jets playing great D for over half the year wasn't a fluke, that Perfetti playing great for half the year wasn't a fluke either. They were both down for similar times, but the Jets D didn't get scratched :sarcasm:

Actually, I think the only Dman who is not a vet did get scratched. Snerg.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
For some reason I think 91 is destined to be bones’ 13th forward if our team is fully healthy. I don’t think that’s warranted given 91’s numbers, but that’s just the way it’s going to be for him going forward this season.

That being said, I think the talks around the league about what this means long term for 91 in Winnipeg isn’t really well-founded. He’s ~20y/o and the team has plenty of team-control years left. More importantly, I would be surprised if Toffoli stays in Winnipeg beyond this season (not sure we would afford the cap hit even if the willingness was there, and we have some issues to deal with on defence that will cost money). I think this opens the door for 91 in the top 6 next season, and with another year under his belt and another step forward (and perhaps a different head coach) I think 91 may find his way to be permanently in the jets’ top 6 next season, which should take away the concerns that have been recently expressed about what this all means for 91 in Winnipeg long term.

Just my thoughts. That being said, I don’t think 91 as a 13th forward is the greatest current deployment. I have to say that 91 has handled Bones’ decisions with grace publicly, and I do like that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
For some reason I think 91 is destined to be bones’ 13th forward if our team is fully healthy. I don’t think that’s warranted given 91’s numbers, but that’s just the way it’s going to be for him going forward this season.

That being said, I think the talks around the league about what this means long term for 91 in Winnipeg isn’t really well-founded. He’s ~20y/o and the team has plenty of team-control years left. More importantly, I would be surprised if Toffoli stays in Winnipeg beyond this season (not sure we would afford the cap hit even if the willingness was there, and we have some issues to deal with on defence that will cost money). I think this opens the door for 91 in the top 6 next season, and with another year under his belt and another step forward (and perhaps a different head coach) I think 91 may find his way to be permanently in the jets’ top 6 next season, which should take away the concerns that have been recently expressed about what this all means for 91 in Winnipeg long term.

Just my thoughts. That being said, I don’t think 91 as a 13th forward is the greatest current deployment. I have to say that 91 has handled Bones’ decisions with grace publicly, and I do like that.

What talks are there about his future here? I haven't heard anything.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016

Ehlers is gone next year as well so there's another spot for him.

Reactions: robertocarlos

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
What talks are there about his future here? I haven't heard anything.

1:21:50 mark-onward.

Ehlers is gone next year as well so there's another spot for him.

Yes, this too. That was also discussed in the link I just posted. Unfortunate, because every line Ehlers seems to play on seems to turn net positive in large sample sizes, but it is what it is.

Reactions: AlaskaJet and hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

1:21:50 mark-onward.

Yes, this too. That was also discussed in the link I just posted. Unfortunate, because every line Ehlers seems to play on seems to turn net positive in large sample sizes, but it is what it is.

Ah, seems to be more of the rest of the league wondering wtf Bowness is doing with him then legit smoke of him wanting out.

It's nice to know other execs see what some of us here see. At the end of the day I expect Cole will come back next year and won't give Bones or whoever is coach any day in the matter with his play.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Relax, he’s a young player learning to be an every day player. He had a good start and then fell off a cliff for 20 games. He knows that. He’s not going to be upset the coach knows it too. He worked on his game for a bit and came back a better player. He will go into the off-season another year smarter and he will work hard and come back an even better player next year. I’m expecting him to be a good top 6 player next year. This year he’s needed to make some adjustments.

Not every young player needs to drown in 20 minutes a night. People are so impatient.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Relax, he’s a young player learning to be an every day player. He had a good start and then fell off a cliff for 20 games. He knows that. He’s not going to be upset the coach knows it too. He worked on his game for a bit and came back a better player. He will go into the off-season another year smarter and he will work hard and come back an even better player next year. I’m expecting him to be a good top 6 player next year. This year he’s needed to make some adjustments.

Not every young player needs to drown in 20 minutes a night. People are so impatient.

I think it’s more that he sat for like 15 games or something after he had been on a 60 point pace in the first half of the season. Sitting a player for a game or two and/or demoting a young player (w/ Toffoli taking his place) to a 3rd or 4th line are options that come to mind as appropriate, while sitting a player out for double digit amounts of games and then making him your 13th forward effectively going forward is quite a dramatic route to take. On a pro-rated 82 game season his production this year is now approx 42 points, and tonight Gustafson slots into the roster (Perfetti back to the press box). I think it’s more the dramatic action of him mostly sitting out now rather than playing that has people a bit concerned, not the fact that a 30 goal rental player in Toffoli is taking his spot in the 2nd line (I don’t have any issue with Toffoli being on the 2nd line).

But my point was: I think 91 will have a permanent role in our top 6 as early as next season, which I think should alleviate people’s concerns. I do think that having him rostered in the bottom 6 would somehow be better than sitting him out though, to the extent that we want our bottom 6 to produce goals at a higher rate than Colorado’s bottom 6, knowing full well that Colorado’s top 6 will score more than our top 6. I always thought the Perfetti-Name-Iaffalo combo might be good (I think they were together as our “second line” earlier in the season and did well). But the 4th line has done good over the last 2 games so maybe not the time to take Baron out right now. Anyways, just my thoughts.

Reactions: Finster8 and hn777

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Trade Ehlers for Konecny and extend Konecny.
His gaf factor is off the charts.

One thing is for sure (and this was discussed in the video): if Ehlers gets traded (I think it’s possible this summer, but who really knows), it will be for a king’s ransom. Whether that’s a forward coming back, maybe a defenceman, I don’t know…. But Chevy ain’t giving him away at a bargain. His numbers per 60 minutes 5v5 are very good and that is going to be in high demand if he’s available in the trade market.

My view: I really like Ehlers and I somehow hope they work out an extension.

Reactions: Jet

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
One thing is for sure (and this was discussed in the video): if Ehlers gets traded (I think it’s possible this summer, but who really knows), it will be for a king’s ransom. Whether that’s a forward coming back, maybe a defenceman, I don’t know…. But Chevy ain’t giving him away at a bargain. His numbers per 60 minutes 5v5 are very good and that is going to be in high demand if he’s available in the trade market.

My view: I really like Ehlers and I somehow hope they work out an extension.
I hope they extend him as well.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Contract year for Perfetti, if l was in his shoes I’d be looking at all available options and what is best for Cole. Knowing his development and confidence for a young man learning the league might not be important to Joe Fan but to Cole it is everything. They are not doing nothing now but developing him in the PB and that’s not going to inspire him to be 2nd fiddle in the teams eyes. Since he has been in the lineup they have won 6 in a row and not just because of him, nevertheless, they should have traded him at the deadline and got something for him.
He has put up decent numbers 17 goals, 19 assists and+11 with shit TOI since his slump. Yes next year if Bones is here maybe best he plays elsewhere. If someone gets hurt their could be an opening. He has been professional about his public demotion and has proved that he has been maturing. All we can ask is what’s the best for the team and knows it is without him for now. Could change but Bones likes his vets and that is fine HC does as he sees fit. That doesn’t mean you have to like it. IMHO

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Contract year for Perfetti, if l was in his shoes I’d be looking at all available options and what is best for Cole. Knowing his development and confidence for a young man learning the league might not be important to Joe Fan but to Cole it is everything. They are not doing nothing now but developing him in the PB and that’s not going to inspire him to be 2nd fiddle in the teams eyes. Since he has been in the lineup they have won 6 in a row and not just because of him, nevertheless, they should have traded him at the deadline and got something for him.
He has put up decent numbers 17 goals, 19 assists and+11 with shit TOI since his slump. Yes next year if Bones is here maybe best he plays elsewhere. If someone gets hurt their could be an opening. He has been professional about his public demotion and has proved that he has been maturing. All we can ask is what’s the best for the team and knows it is without him for now. Could change but Bones likes his vets and that is fine HC does as he sees fit. That doesn’t mean you have to like it. IMHO

One thing I’ll say, some teams in their “championship windows” so-to-speak have had their best shots (and successful shots) at winning cups with the up-and-coming stars/future core players on ELC’s playing meaningful minutes on 3rd and/or 4th lines. It provides significant scoring depth at a cheap price which is hard for other teams that don’t have that option to compete with. Bones doesn’t seem to see it that way though, he has a set-in-stone idea of the “role” that the 3rd and 4th lines “should” have (example: a “checking” line, a “defensive” line). This is an old school mentality and it has been successful in the past, so by no means am I saying it can’t work. But given the assets that this team currently has, going with the Perfetti in-the-line-up option and trying to have a 3rd and/or 4th line that has an edge offensively that other teams may not be able to create is a route that should be considered too — That approach has also worked for other cup championship teams too. And given that our top line isn’t a Mckinnon/mcdavid/matthews type led line (all due respect to Scheifele - I like him but he’s not at that level), it would perhaps make sense to look at adding 91 to the 3rd or 4th line instead of sitting him in the press box.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I could be Perfetti's new player agent. I won't eat until he's back on the second line. I'll chain myself to the front door at Donald and Portage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad