Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Today's lineup has Iafallo with Money and Toffoli and Perfetti on the 4th line again. This is getting ridiculous. It would be different if Iafallo was producing, but after a good start he is doing near nothing for about the last 30 games. Perfetti has outscored him by a wide margin on the season in spite of his drought. Perfetti is still mostly playing well but he is not going to thrive or develop on the 4th line. Meanwhile, the Money line needs someone better than Iafallo.
It's a strong 4th line. I hope Bones rolls lines 2-4 equally.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
And 90% is on Perfetti. His coach has expectations and he needs to meet them. It’s not up to the world to make Perfetti better. It’s up to Perfetti to do that.
You like to argue but stating the obvious like it’s up to Cole to get better is an amazing observation. Sure won’t hurt with some positive re-enforcement from the coach. Its his job to get him motivated and improve all his players. Not up to us armchairs

Cole gets quality TOI with The Moose is better for development than sitting in the press box.

Reactions: NA Hockey

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Cole gets quality TOI with The Moose is better for development than sitting in the press box.
That is probably true, but the #1 thing that achieves is pushing Perfetti closer to requesting a trade. He's not an AHLer, and he seems to be clever enough not to waste a single second with an organisation who seems hellbent on mismanaging their young prospects year in, year out. This is costing him money.

I hope they're wise enough to see that Appleton and Iafallo over Perfetti is just idiotic. I don't trust that they do, but I hope so anyway.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
General insomnia, particularly bad night.
I feel ya. Got lit Saturday night, then couple litres of coffee and the time change Sunday really screwed my sleep.

Today's lineup has Iafallo with Money and Toffoli and Perfetti on the 4th line again. This is getting ridiculous. It would be different if Iafallo was producing, but after a good start he is doing near nothing for about the last 30 games. Perfetti has outscored him by a wide margin on the season in spite of his drought. Perfetti is still mostly playing well but he is not going to thrive or develop on the 4th line. Meanwhile, the Money line needs someone better than Iafallo.

When/if healthy Ehlers will be on line 2 dropping Iafallo down to the 4th. That pushes Perf to the PB. Iafallo is the one who should sit.
It was pointed out that Perfetti did get a chance with Monahan to start and performed pretty unspectacularly. I agree on iafallo, he's been non-productive too, Esp considering role /toi.

Neither are top 6 worthy atm. I'd like to see Barron given an opportunity given how he's done in a 4th line role. I think he does the minimums that Iafallo can, while adding speed, size and has scored pretty well given his role/toi.

Last edited:

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
That is probably true, but the #1 thing that achieves is pushing Perfetti closer to requesting a trade. He's not an AHLer, and he seems to be clever enough not to waste a single second with an organisation who seems hellbent on mismanaging their young prospects year in, year out. This is costing him money.

I hope they're wise enough to see that Appleton and Iafallo over Perfetti is just idiotic. I don't trust that they do, but I hope so anyway.
yeah, if only chipman was smart, he would hire one of hfjets to become our next gm so we can stop mismanaging all our young players

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The Perfetti discussion is starting to take on Ehlers Connor debate where it is hard to stake out the middle ground. Perfetti is a good young player that has a bright future who happens to have been struggling over the last 20 games or so. On the flip side it makes sense that he got squeezed out of the top 6, as we we are in a strong contending position and we have added more established forwards. I just don't want him in the PB, and I'm glad our overall forward depth allows him to play with better players, then some of our teams over the last couple years. As long as the 4th line gets in the 11 - 13 minute range and he gets 2nd PP usage he will be fine. This is probably about the best usage that he can expect until things start coming together for him again.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

When/if healthy Ehlers will be on line 2 dropping Iafallo down to the 4th. That pushes Perf to the PB. Iafallo is the one who should sit.
Iafallo is there for some defensive integrity on that line.
He has played with Toffoli before as well.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
You like to argue but stating the obvious like it’s up to Cole to get better is an amazing observation. Sure won’t hurt with some positive re-enforcement from the coach. Its his job to get him motivated and improve all his players. Not up to us armchairs

I like to argue LMAO!

You are blaming the coach for Perfetti’s play? Like Bones didn’t give him a quarter season of dog shit play. He has been given every opportunity. That’s a long leash.

You have a team that MANY on this board wanted to throw away and dive to the bottom of the league sitting in 4th place in the entire league. But boo hoo, Perfetti isn’t keeping up and you think that’s because Bones hasn’t given him enough hugs. Sorry, it’s not the coach’s goal to make Perfetti better, his job is to make the team better. Sorry your young player isn’t getting the pumping you want.

Perfetti’s play is on Perfetti. I hope Perfetti can figure it out an EARN his way back to the top 6 because that is what’s best for the TEAM.

Who has been mismanaged and how?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It was really good to see Perfetti game last night. I think he understands that if he doesn't start playing better consistently he's going to be a black ace come playoff time.

Sometimes it takes a realization like that to knock you out of your low confidence feelings and trigger the fight response.

If Cole can get back to his first half play and production and Vilardi comes back this team is going to be very difficult to defend.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
@KingBogo mentions middle ground...

I'm okay with Perfetti staying with the Jets and playing a 4th line role as King' said...

His fancy stats suggests he is defensively responsible so should be able to take on a play it safe, sheltered role easily...

It's not the end of the World... it's not the end of his career with the Jets...

It's just another step towards a complete, mature and physically mature player...

He needs more time to be what we all want him to be...

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Maybe 4th line Perfetti isn't exactly ideal, but we do have enough talent to run something beyond the typical 4th liner energy line. I don't mind the idea of him on a 4th come playoff time with a bit of skill, IE Namestnikov

As much as I like Barron and think he deserves more responsibility, Perfetti-Namestnikov-Iafallo is an insane 4th line.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I like to argue LMAO!

You are blaming the coach for Perfetti’s play? Like Bones didn’t give him a quarter season of dog shit play. He has been given every opportunity. That’s a long leash.

You have a team that MANY on this board wanted to throw away and dive to the bottom of the league sitting in 4th place in the entire league. But boo hoo, Perfetti isn’t keeping up and you think that’s because Bones hasn’t given him enough hugs. Sorry, it’s not the coach’s goal to make Perfetti better, his job is to make the team better. Sorry your young player isn’t getting the pumping you want.

Perfetti’s play is on Perfetti. I hope Perfetti can figure it out an EARN his way back to the top 6 because that is what’s best for the TEAM.

The point is he hasn't been dog shit like you say for 20 games. He has had a few bad games but during that span but he is has also had a number of really good games during that time. He has created a lot during those 20 games, but has had no luck either converting himself or his teammates converting for him. Just like last night, he played great, hit two posts, had 3 other shots on net and created scoring chances for others that weren't finished. Unfortunately there is a double standard on this team and there has been a number of players with long droughts whose underlying stats aren't as good, who never lose a minute of ice or their spot in the lineup and have always played with other top players.

The issue I think some have is that during the first 40 plus games when he was playing great and racking up points, the coach still treated him poorly. eg 3 games at centre before they pulled the plug on that experiment (because the team went 1-2 and the coach panicked). Being taken off pp1 in December despite leading the team in pp goals and points. Playing 14 mins a game despite having .75 ppg and playing great hockey. No reward for good play, no extra ice or cookies for being amongst team leaders in all categories. No 3 on 3 ice or 4 on4 ice. No OT, no shootout. Just as an aside, do you know that in his career he has exactly three shifts with the empty net? The result is 3 empty net goals that he has scored. So every time he gets a shift with the goalie out he scores, yet they never give him those opportunities. Rather KC, Mark et all get those free points.

I think this all comes down to the fact that the team has a 70 year old coach with his last chance at a Cup who generally doesn't like young players and loves vets no matter what. It is what it is, but it has affected Cole's ability to produce more throughout the year. The coach does not care about his development at all because he won't be here past this season.

Someone mentioned asking for a trade or wanting out above. I doubt any of that has crossed his mind as yet, but if I was him I would be looking at how the team has treated Nik over the last few year and wonder if that is what I wanted for my career? Do I want to play second fiddle, 2nd line and 2nd pp for my whole career no matter how good I play or what I do?

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
I thought Cole was excellent last night. He has amazing on ice vision. At the same time, one has to acknowledge the style of game that was played. He had time and space and was not "touched". I hope he plays against Nashville on Wednesday, as that will be closer to the style of playoff hockey where I have concerns his game will be limited.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Maybe 4th line Perfetti isn't exactly ideal, but we do have enough talent to run something beyond the typical 4th liner energy line. I don't mind the idea of him on a 4th come playoff time with a bit of skill, IE Namestnikov
They played very well last night.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
The point is he hasn't been dog shit like you say for 20 games. He has had a few bad games but during that span but he is has also had a number of really good games during that time. He has created a lot during those 20 games, but has had no luck either converting himself or his teammates converting for him. Just like last night, he played great, hit two posts, had 3 other shots on net and created scoring chances for others that weren't finished. Unfortunately there is a double standard on this team and there has been a number of players with long droughts whose underlying stats aren't as good, who never lose a minute of ice or their spot in the lineup and have always played with other top players.

The issue I think some have is that during the first 40 plus games when he was playing great and racking up points, the coach still treated him poorly. eg 3 games at centre before they pulled the plug on that experiment (because the team went 1-2 and the coach panicked). Being taken off pp1 in December despite leading the team in pp goals and points. Playing 14 mins a game despite having .75 ppg and playing great hockey. No reward for good play, no extra ice or cookies for being amongst team leaders in all categories. No 3 on 3 ice or 4 on4 ice. No OT, no shootout. Just as an aside, do you know that in his career he has exactly three shifts with the empty net? The result is 3 empty net goals that he has scored. So every time he gets a shift with the goalie out he scores, yet they never give him those opportunities. Rather KC, Mark et all get those free points.

I think this all comes down to the fact that the team has a 70 year old coach with his last chance at a Cup who generally doesn't like young players and loves vets no matter what. It is what it is, but it has affected Cole's ability to produce more throughout the year. The coach does not care about his development at all because he won't be here past this season.

Someone mentioned asking for a trade or wanting out above. I doubt any of that has crossed his mind as yet, but if I was him I would be looking at how the team has treated Nik over the last few year and wonder if that is what I wanted for my career? Do I want to play second fiddle, 2nd line and 2nd pp for my whole career no matter how good I play or what I do?
Ok this is just getting ridiculous.

At best you are describing an inconsistent player through the rosiest of rose colored glasses.

You have no idea who our coach is. This guy who you and others claim hates young players is the same coach who in Dallas transitioned from Seguin and Benn to Robertson and Hintz (Heiskanen) and took them to the Stanley Cup final.

This is such a weird thread with people placing (as usual) a young player above the team. Most of these people are the ones who never believed in the players to begin with and wanted to rip the whole team down so they can get more young players with potential to cheer for.

We have a coach that has taken a talented yet inconsistent, and maybe a bit entitled to a currently top 4 team in the whole league. A coach who every person with a vote has to consider as a Jack Adams candidate. He is doing fantastic with this team. But there are actually people saying he doesn’t know what he’s doing. Or that he isn’t doing enough to develop Perfetti. This team is being very well coached. That should be obvious. Everyone knows their role and I would bet my house the coaches have been specific and helpful with what they see from Perfetti and what they want.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I like to argue LMAO!

Agreed. Idk how people are putting this on Bowness lol. Well mostly the Perfetti stans I guess. We have our best 4th line since 17-18 along with a potentially excellent top 6. This team is deep at fwd, with potentially a top line that can dominate the comp with scheifele and ehlers.

If he performed and produced he'd be playing top 6. And we probably wouldn't have traded for 2 certified top 6ers.

Perfetti had a hot start to the year, and his 5v5 pts/60 has trended down each month thereafter, while playing primarily in a top 6 offensive role. He actually received his most 5v5 toi/gp in January too so its not like they shafted him completely. he wasn't really adding anything. I don't agree with Iafallo being a top 6er either for the record, bc I know that "well what about" is a commonly brought up.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I like to argue LMAO!

Cole had a good game last night, can’t change his slump the last l will say to you is let’s hope he can help the team the rest of the year. Oh the kid has plenty of talent and that even you can’t argue that. The blame is on both more Cole but a coaches job is to motivate, develop and help all guys be more efficient. That’s what he is doing. I’m not saying Perfetti is the next Gretzky just think it helps the whole team if he gets on track for the playoffs.

Reactions: DRW204

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Ok this is just getting ridiculous.

At best you are describing an inconsistent player through the rosiest of rose colored glasses.

You have no idea who our coach is. This guy who you and others claim hates young players is the same coach who in Dallas transitioned from Seguin and Benn to Robertson and Hintz (Heiskanen) and took them to the Stanley Cup final.

This is such a weird thread with people placing (as usual) a young player above the team. Most of these people are the ones who never believed in the players to begin with and wanted to rip the whole team down so they can get more young players with potential to cheer for.

We have a coach that has taken a talented yet inconsistent, and maybe a bit entitled to a currently top 4 team in the whole league. A coach who every person with a vote has to consider as a Jack Adams candidate. He is doing fantastic with this team. But there are actually people saying he doesn’t know what he’s doing. Or that he isn’t doing enough to develop Perfetti. This team is being very well coached. That should be obvious. Everyone knows their role and I would bet my house the coaches have been specific and helpful with what they see from Perfetti and what they want.
Yeah this story gets played out over and over again. Fan fave (usually a youngster/ prospect) isn't immediately elevated to best player on the team and there's outrage.

Cole is living this right now, and if people think he isn't intimately aware of his shortcomings and what he needs to do to get more icetime and better situational deployment - they are kidding themselves.

When Cole was playing well and producing, he was getting appropriate minutes for a sofomore with less than 100 NHL games. When his production dried up and he started struggling, and it persisted, the coaches made the right decision for the team.

That's it. The drama is with the fans, not the player or coaches.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Cole had a good game last night, can’t change his slump the last l will say to you is let’s hope he can help the team the rest of the year. Oh the kid has plenty of talent and that even you can’t argue that. The blame is on both more Cole but a coaches job is to motivate, develop and help all guys be more efficient. That’s what he is doing. I’m not saying Perfetti is the next Gretzky just think it helps the whole team if he gets on track for the playoffs.
I think Cole can contribute to the fourth line and that is fine. We have a good deep team and Bones is doing his best and what else can be said.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I never once said he doesn’t have potential. In fact I stated that he has great potential a few times. Why would I argue that? I also said I hope he can earn his way back into the top 6. I also said he had a good game with Namestikov last night. I hope he continues to build on that.

Bones has also said he wants to mix Perfetti back into the top 6. So obviously the coaches and the player are working together towards that goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00