Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA Pick - signed ELC 9/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I don't know how you expect more from a guy playing with a bunch of future all stars on the 3rd line. 5 points in 3 games is on pace actually

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Right now Perfetti is performing kind of like what I expected. I am a bit more interested to see how things go for him and the entire team as competition increases and games get close. Honestly things are just getting started now this has kind of been the warm up.

I realize the hype has been very high for Perfetti since draft day due to his talent and of course our team need. However, I think it’s really important to understand he is very young and still needs to develop. He was 10th OA not 1st OA so projection of where he might get to is still what the exciting part is. All our picks drafted in his range took 1-3 seasons post draft to effectively develop and Cole won’t be different than that elite group.

I think he looks really solid for an 18 year old in 19 year old tournament.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Cole relative to his peers drafted in the same range is doing pretty good:

Byfield 2g 5a 7p
Stutzle 3g 2a 5p
Perfetti 1g 4a 5p
Mercer 2g 3a 5p
Quinn 1g 3a 4p
Lundell 2g 1a 3p
Raymond 1g 2a 3p
Holtz 0g 1a 1p
Rossi 0g 0a 0p

To me he is performing just fine relative to the other high draft picks his year. He is tied for 7th in tournament scoring despite not really dominating yet. Just some perspective.

Edit:

Just read the Murat's article and it sounds like if the OHL doesn't go then Cole would be able to play in the AHL. To me playing center on the Moose under Vincent's tutelage for the remainder of the year in my opinion is a much superior development option then going back to torch the OHL.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Byfield 2g 5a 7p
Stutzle 3g 2a 5p
Perfetti 2g 4a 5p
Mercer 2g 3a 5p
Quinn 1g 3a 4p
Lundell 2g 1a 3p
Raymond 1g 2a 3p
Holtz 0g 1a 1p
Rossi 0g 0a 0p

To me he is performing just fine relative to the other high draft picks his year. He is tied for 7th in tournament scoring despite not really dominating yet. Just some perspective.

Edit:

Just read the Murat's article and it sounds like if the OHL doesn't go then Cole would be able to play in the AHL. To me playing center on the Moose under Vincent's tutelage for the remainder of the year in my opinion is a much superior development option then going back to torch the OHL.
Perfetti with 1g 4a (not 2g).

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Byfield 2g 5a 7p
Stutzle 3g 2a 5p
Perfetti 1g 4a 5p
Mercer 2g 3a 5p
Quinn 1g 3a 4p
Lundell 2g 1a 3p
Raymond 1g 2a 3p
Holtz 0g 1a 1p
Rossi 0g 0a 0p

Edit:

Agree, and I would put it more strongly.
Of the 6 forwards taken ahead of him who are playing, only one has scored more points. And that one (Byfield) scored 6 of his points in one game.
Cole is doing very well, and he will also have a big game before this tournament is over.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
It’s very fun watching our boys perform but I take very little out of it. I don’t think it has any merit to how a career will go.

Was petan not an absolute stand out one year ?

Last edited:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

Byfield 2g 5a 7p
Stutzle 3g 2a 5p
Perfetti 1g 4a 5p
Mercer 2g 3a 5p
Quinn 1g 3a 4p
Lundell 2g 1a 3p
Raymond 1g 2a 3p
Holtz 0g 1a 1p
Rossi 0g 0a 0p

Edit:

Isn't the OHL no contact now? Garbage place for development

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Byfield 2g 5a 7p
Stutzle 3g 2a 5p
Perfetti 1g 4a 5p
Mercer 2g 3a 5p
Quinn 1g 3a 4p
Lundell 2g 1a 3p
Raymond 1g 2a 3p
Holtz 0g 1a 1p
Rossi 0g 0a 0p

Edit:

Great post and context. Agree that he’d get some valuable experience in the AHL under PV, so long as he can stay clear of injury — although an influx of talented juniors might change that aspect a bit.

Reactions: hn777

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Its always good to see your players perform but at the end of the day it's a short tournament and a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of a players career/development.

Not only are you correct but how do we judge any of the players with most not in the form of any other previous WJC Team. The lack of quality TOI PP, PK players are all gradually getting better with some real games under their belt. Let's hope we gel at the right time and Levi will have his hands full starting tomorrow against Finland. This is when your Goaltender is the guy who has the majority of pressure on him. If we play as 4 strong lines all playing solid team D. This will be a hard team to beat with all the scoring potential which is unmatched in this tournament.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Play Perfetti between KV and Reichel to see how he handles playing center as a pro and if he deserves it, call him up before the playoffs.
He isn't big enough to withstand the pounding he will take as a rookie in the NHL in this condensed season.
I don't see him playing many games with the Jets this year.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Play Perfetti between KV and Reichel to see how he handles playing center as a pro and if he deserves it, call him up before the playoffs.
He isn't big enough to withstand the pounding he will take as a rookie in the NHL in this condensed season.

I think because of his size it’s going to be a few years. Last year of wheelers contract he will be a full time player

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Since when does Reichel play on Jets and who is he? Won’t he take more of a pounding in AHL where players are rougher and dirtier?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Since when does Reichel play on Jets and who is he? Won’t he take more of a pounding in AHL where players are rougher and dirtier?
On the Moose and as someone has stated earlier, the influx of players to the AHL might knock that down a bit.
Think of Weber wallpapering Perfetti in the corner.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

The AHL is also slower and will allow him to more easily learn to play his game. The AHL is also only an option if the OHL can't go.

I would rather him play big minutes in the AHL learning to play at center then skating on our taxi squad.

Also as mentioned teams will likely fill their rosters with their prospects if the CHL can't go.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
AHL players can hit just as hard as NHL players.

Didn't Morrissey say he got more banged up playing in the AHL than the NHL one time? It's a rougher league than the NHL.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I think because of his size it’s going to be a few years. Last year of wheelers contract he will be a full time player

That's way too late for him to be implemented..I hope you're wrong

The AHL is also slower and will allow him to more easily learn to play his game. The AHL is also only an option if the OHL can't go.

I would rather him play big minutes in the AHL learning to play at center then skating on our taxi squad.

Also as mentioned teams will likely fill their rosters with their prospects if the CHL can't go.

OHL is no place for anyone to develop anymore unless they're getting ready for ringette

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Development can happen fairly quickly at his age. Given the arcs of l our other forwards drafted in the same draft range I'd say making it full time in his draft plus 3 year would give us 2 years of Wheelers contract left.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Development can happen fairly quickly at his age. Given the arcs of l our other forwards drafted in the same draft range I'd say making it full time in his draft plus 3 year would give us 2 years of Wheelers contract left.

I think this is possible as well. It will be one of the years we stated.

I am always hoping for a fast track too. Never know what this kid can do. I bet if he had real size he would of been top 3. Only thing holding him back

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think this is possible as well. It will be one of the years we stated.

I am always hoping for a fast track too. Never know what this kid can do. I bet if he had real size he would of been top 3. Only thing holding him back

He seems pretty strong on his feet though and has good agility so I don't think he needs to put on as much muscle as we think. Another offseason or two and I think he's good to go.

Reactions: Teemusalami204
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark