Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's super impressive what Caufield's been able to accomplish with that roster, especially that Holloway hasn't been there except for 2 of those games. Has anybody noticed that Caufield has to do pretty much everything on all of his goals? No tap-in's or easy goals. I think Caufield tries to do too much sometimes to create offense on his own (which may lead to turn overs etc), but he doesn't have much of a choice most of the time. I'm actually pleasantly surprised at his vision as his passing this year has been pretty top notch.

They are playing without their top 3 centers in Holloway, Pelton-Byce and Baker plus last years 2nd leading scorer in Ahcan. That would be like the Habs not having Suzuki, KK, Danault, Gallagher and leaving Tatar to do everything by himself.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
They are playing without their top 3 centers in Holloway, Pelton-Byce and Baker plus last years 2nd leading scorer in Ahcan. That would be like the Habs not having Suzuki, KK, Danault, Gallagher and leaving Tatar to do everything by himself.

Where are they all by chance?

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
From what I remember 4 of them are on a covid isolation/leave.

1 was infected, the other 3 were in close contact so they also got quarantined.
If my memory is right it's been 10 days+ so those 4 must be getting back in the next days except maybe for the one who got covid depending on his health progress.

Holloway is off for the WJC.
That's five players right there.

Reactions: Runner77

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'm sold on Caufield. Pretty sure his talents will translate to the NHL.

I'm a bit worried about the inconsistent effort levels. From what I hear at least. Still, I'm starting to think he's too good to fail. It really looks like he's grown his game. I'm still floored with his puck skills. He's like a puck wizard-lite. Maybe not even that lite. I think the skating's really close to where it would need to be but I'm not the greatest judge of that. The marked improvement there though is very encouraging.

Him being top in points while playing on that dogsh*t team is encouraging. He's driving play like a potential star should. Could do without the reports of him dogging it but mind you one of those times he was one of NINE forwards playing lol. That can't have helped.

Sounds like he needs to get out of there though. I'm almost 100% he gets a pro contract after this year.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
I'm a bit worried about the inconsistent effort levels. From what I hear at least. Still, I'm starting to think he's too good to fail. It really looks like he's grown his game. I'm still floored with his puck skills. He's like a puck wizard-lite. Maybe not even that lite. I think the skating's really close to where it would need to be but I'm not the greatest judge of that. The marked improvement there though is very encouraging.

Him being top in points while playing on that dogsh*t team is encouraging. He's driving play like a potential star should. Could do without the reports of him dogging it but mind you one of those times he was one of NINE forwards playing lol. That can't have helped.

Sounds like he needs to get out of there though. I'm almost 100% he gets a pro contract after this year.

He will be playing with Laval by the end of the year. Their school year will be done before the end of the NHL/AHL Season. Meaning that as soon as the NCAA is done, Caufield is coming over

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I'm actually all for his coach not tolerating poor/inconsistent effort. At 5'7, you need to outwork your opponent to be successful. A little kick in the ass can actually help him imo.

As am I but, is there really a credible narrative where Caufield lacks effort. he doesn't appear to be a floater to me.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
As am I but, is there really a credible narrative where Caufield lacks effort. he doesn't appear to be a floater to me.

He lacked effort (or understanding) in the defensive side of the game.

Example: If your shot gets blocked and you're the last forward up (2 teammates FWD are deep in the o-zone), you need to be responsible enough to back check as hard as you can to get their 3FWD so you don't allow an odd man rush. He didn't do that on one of their goal; actually, he didn't backcheck at all and took nobody, letting a 4 on 2 for the other team. That was the reason Granato put him on the bench. Seems like it worked. As a coach, you can't let those things goes by just because he is the best player on the team. I'm sure he explained the play to CC in details and Cole had time to think about it. It can only be good for his developpment.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Holloway - WJC camp
Pelton-Byce - almost broke his neck when pushed into the boards
Baker- covid list

I missed the 2nd ASU game and some of the 1st ASU game, other then that series i've seen them all and the effort has been much better and consistent. Last year it was a big issue and he seems to have gotten the message so I fully expect him to turn pro at the end of the season.

I'm actually all for his coach not tolerating poor/inconsistent effort. At 5'7, you need to outwork your opponent to be successful. A little kick in the ass can actually help him imo.

he needed to do it last year, a lot of Wisconsin fans I talked with weren't happy that Granato didn't do anything when his top players weren't putting in the effort.

Reactions: Gyfu

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He lacked effort (or understanding) in the defensive side of the game.

Example: If your shot gets blocked and you're the last forward up (2 teammates FWD are deep in the o-zone), you need to be responsible enough to back check as hard as you can to get their 3FWD so you don't allow an odd man rush. He didn't do that on one of their goal; actually, he didn't backcheck at all and took nobody, letting a 4 on 2 for the other team. That was the reason Granato put him on the bench. Seems like it worked. As a coach, you can't let those things goes by just because he is the best player on the team. I'm sure he explained the play to CC in details and Cole had time to think about it. It can only be good for his developpment.

It's good for the coach to catch his dog in the act as he'll likely understand what it's for better that way. Still, I don't think Caufield has a reputation for not putting in the effort like that on a consistent basis. Making sure he doesn't develop that bad habit is important, though.

From pas highlights I saw (many games, many plays, not one moment in a game), Caufield was defensively aware as he curled regularly back towards the blue line to back check if his team lost possession. Conveniently, it also drew him away from defensive coverage and gave him a better chance at ending open ice as he swooped back in low if his team kept puck possession. One needn't hinder the other (defensive needn't hinder offense).

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
When Eric Belanger talks about Cole HE makes good points that make's you think very hard on if he will fail or not.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm sold on Caufield. Pretty sure his talents will translate to the NHL.

He's offensively talented enough right now to play top 6 in the NHL IMO. The question mark is physical strength and how he can adjust to less time and space. That's the biggest hurdle he will have to jump over here after another season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who looks better in both production and the eye test at the WJC... Caufield or Newhook? I'm sure this will be something several fans will be watching out for.

What are the Americans centers in this tournament?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Who looks better in both production and the eye test at the WJC... Caufield or Newhook? I'm sure this will be something several fans will be watching out for.

What are the Americans centers in this tournament?

At the end of the day, I'm only concerned about Caufield

For almost every draft pick, there will almost always be better players picked afterwards. As long as we got a good one to add to a burgeoning stable, I'll be happy. My only interest in Newhook is will be if I enjoy watching him as a player. He's totally irrelevant when it comes to Caufield, for me.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Well all he needs is a training camp with galley next year and he will wake up to the reality

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At the end of the day, I'm only concerned about Caufield

For almost every draft pick, there will almost always be better players picked afterwards. As long as we got a good one to add to a burgeoning stable, I'll be happy. My only interest in Newhook is will be if I enjoy watching him as a player. He's totally irrelevant when it comes to Caufield, for me.

I'm personally fine with looking at the development between Newhook and Caufield. Cause on draft day, I would have had a very difficult time picking between the two. However, I do like the Caufield pick... we needed his sniping ability. There is going to be comments on Caufield vs Newhook at the WJC... like it or not.

Caufield projects to me to be a soft winger with 20-30 goals (Career averages). How many seasons can he get 30-40 goals? He may get a few but if his averages is 30+, it will be nice! Not counting on it to be honest. I just like his sniping ability. That can break a game open and we lack that type of shooter. We just need to ensure we have a good spot for him to slide into and hopefully a big center like KK can be a good fit. Suzuki too but I think Caufield needs a physical center with skill (at 5/5)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well all he needs is a training camp with galley next year and he will wake up to the reality

I was thinking about how Caufield compares to Gallagher. They both like too shoot the puck but Gallagher was physically stronger at the same age right? Caufield not as strong but a better shooter and probably the better skater right?

If Caufield can have similar lower body strength like Gallagher moving forward, we might have a star winger on our hands! Too many unanswered questions but fun to look at his development track. We didn't have guys like Suzuki, KK, Romanov, Caufield in our pool for a very long time. It's a nice change

Edge work and adding muscle in the right areas is something to look at with Caufield in the next 2 years.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm personally fine with looking at the development between Newhook and Caufield. Cause on draft day, I would have had a very difficult time picking between the two. However, I do like the Caufield pick... we needed his sniping ability. There is going to be comments on Caufield vs Newhook at the WJC... like it or not.

Caufield projects to me to be a soft winger with 20-30 goals (Career averages). How many seasons can he get 30-40 goals? He may get a few but if his averages is 30+, it will be nice! Not counting on it to be honest. I just like his sniping ability. That can break a game open and we lack that type of shooter. We just need to ensure we have a good spot for him to slide into and hopefully a big center like KK can be a good fit. Suzuki too but I think Caufield needs a physical center with skill (at 5/5)

Yeah definitely will be interesting to see if Caufield can snipe at the NHL level - and if he has chemistry with players who have playmaking ability like Suzuki, KK, and Drouin.

As for liking or not that people are going to comment on Caufiekd versus Newhook, actually I could care less what other people want to comment on, and their comments are just as irrelevant to me as the comparison itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad