Cole Caufield: Is this the year?

How Many Goals Will Caufield Score in 2023/24?

• Total voters

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He has improved other aspects of his game. Which is encouraging. And on what is considered a down year in goal scoring, he's still flirting with 30 goals. And at the rate he's been scoring lately, it will be no surprise if he scored 3 more goals in the final 2 games to hit 30.
Coming off major surgery around 30 goals is good season. Considering his age and on bad team.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Caufield had a very satisfying season, he will be even better in the next one, maybe 80+ points.
His coach screwed up half of season 1. Shoulder injury screwed up season two (and probably three.)

Hopefully he’s healthy next year and his shooting normalizes. He’s put up great numbers at a young age under the circumstances. I really thought this would be a killer year. Hopefully next season is it.

catmanhabsfan

Jan 4, 2006
I may be in the minority but I think Cole had a good year.
I dont think you're in the minority ,I think the opposite view is from the vocal minority. It's his best year statistically to date after a serious surgery last year. I think he did great this year and still has a bit of room to grow now that he seriously rounded his game out

Reactions: HabbyGuy and Tyson

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Finishes the season strong. 8 goals in 9 games for April. Shooting percentage over that span is 19.5.

For the season it’s 8.9. Really bad but at least it’s not the 7 percent that it was for much of the season.

Still not a great year but he salvaged it enough that it’s at least decent. Hopefully he bounces back next year.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Games at the end of the season will always be somewhat more meaningless. Specially with 32 clubs, since only half of them make it, and a lot of the clubs know whether they'll make it far in advance.(Imagine with 36...)

Under 30 was predictable, and I expect similar next season. He's a good sniper, but hopefully he grows into more than this, so we can have a top 6 that is not easily defeated, at the beginning of the season, by simply covering one player all over the ice.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Games at the end of the season will always be somewhat more meaningless. Specially with 32 clubs, since only half of them make it, and a lot of the clubs know whether they'll make it far in advance.(Imagine with 36...)

Under 30 was predictable, and I expect similar next season. He's a good sniper, but hopefully he grows into more than this, so we can have a top 6 that is not easily defeated, at the beginning of the season, by simply covering one player all over the ice.
So, you expect him to shoot 6-7% next season?

People gets fooled easily, with players with high shooting % or low %. Everytime lol.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
So, you expect him to shoot 6-7% next season?

People gets fooled easily, with players with high shooting % or low %. Everytime lol.
He'll shoot near what he shot this season yes. It'll be another down season, there are 9 regular players that will potentially leave or that would have potentially left come the TDL. Cole is going to be covered, a lot.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
He'll shoot near what he shot this season yes. It'll be another down season, there are 9 regular players that will potentially leave or that would have potentially left come the TDL. Cole is going to be covered, a lot.
It’s statistically impossible.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
to @ bff @Rozz

i'm not *super* serious about trading Caufield but I think there's a fun argument to be made. His should is probably bothering him, the shot% mystery is hard to solve, etc. There's a pretty great chance he turns it around and actually gets to the level we expect him to be, but I like to entertain the idea anyway because... what if he doesn't? His value would be at his highest right now. What if we had traded Galchenyuk right after his 30 goals? What if we had traded Halak for what he was actually worth when we did? etc

What would the Golden Knights do? These guys would probably trade his ass this summer for 2 superstars and a 1st pick and we'd all be stunned and go "wow they've done it again what the hell"

It's a fun thing to think about that isn't all that serious

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I don’t get how it’s predictable that a guy with over 300 shots would get less than 30 goals.

Reactions: SlafySZN

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I don’t get how it’s predictable that a guy with over 300 shots would get less than 30 goals.
Because the quality of the shots goes down with the amount of coverage which goes up if there's only 1-2 threats on the roster. Specially when teams are battling out at the beginning of the season. Some players they know they don't really have to cover that much, because they are not Snipers with quality shots like Cole. So they just pile up on Cole, double coverage, etc...

Things might be different next season if Slaf can convince defensive coaching on the other teams, that he's a threat too. Then Cole will benefit, simply by having less attention on him.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
would be interesting to see Caufield and Zegras play together...

And that dcore could use Hutson. He's electric.
Boldy-Zegras-CC

Gonna be nice to watch if those 3 are together.

Can’t remember if they were a line in one of their world juniors, maybe it was beniers in the middle of CC and Boldy instead of Zegras.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Because the quality of the shots goes down with the amount of coverage which goes up if there's only 1-2 threats on the roster. Specially when teams are battling out at the beginning of the season. Some players they know they don't really have to cover that much, because they are not Snipers with quality shots like Cole. So they just pile up on Cole, double coverage, etc...

Things might be different next season if Slaf can convince defensive coaching on the other teams, that he's a threat too. Then Cole will benefit, simply by having less attention on him.
By all metrics, his shots were in close - just as they have been in the past. If it wasn’t then I’d agree - but that wasn’t the case.

There was no real explanation for it other than perhaps his shoulder. That would make sense. Nobody has been able to answer why. The metrics are all there for him to have had a great year.

Want to say that you don’t expect 50? That’s cool. He’d have needed a good percentage to get there. But at the shots he had at even 13 percent- very realistic- he’d have hit 41.

Not getting to 30 with that many shots and where they came from is mind boggling.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Caufield is a better player off the puck sure, but you have to be disappointed about his shooting percentage and shot quality this year.

Unique traits are important, and being well rounded is good but doesn't make up for losing an elite shot.

Something to work on this summer for him. It did seem to be coming back near the end of the year.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Caufield is a better player off the puck sure, but you have to be disappointed about his shooting percentage and shot quality this year.

Unique traits are important, and being well rounded is good but doesn't make up for losing an elite shot.

Something to work on this summer for him. It did seem to be coming back near the end of the year.
It’s not disappointed, it’s understanding that it’s 99.9% likely that it was shoulder related or mentally because of the shoulder.

I just don’t see the likelihood of that being his norm now.

Reactions: Canadienna

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad