Prospect Info: Cole Candella 140th overall

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
do we have echl team for next year?

Nope but its likely not difficult to get an agreement with one of the teams because most teams don't exactly loan/send too many players to the ECHL.

For example i think this year CBJ, NJD, and Florida all don't have ECHL affiliations. No idea where they send their players to but its really not a big deal and every year it seems to be musical chairs anyways (most NHL teams and ECHL sign 1 year agreement and renew them as they see fit, basically probably 20 teams will have no deals again at the end of the season).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually not exactly true.

Brisebois is a much more complete D than the others listed. Basically can do a bit of everything but not elite at any one thing, which also means he isn't bad in his own end. Neill on the other hand is elite offensively but still has work to do in his own end. Candella is suppose to be a 2 way D (like Brisebois) but at this point, i would guess (again haven't watched him play) is quite a bit behind Brisebois.

Olson is by far the most physical out of the bunch and had a great offensive year last year but that offense seems to have disappeared this year. That said he's quite unique in that he plays physical while the rest aren't nearly as physical. He was probably the most hyped out of the bunch after last season due to his production (~.72ppg vs ~.38 ppg now). I would rank him above Chatfield who we just signed recently as a UDFA so he'll likely get a contract along with everyone else (except maybe Candella).

You also forgot about Juolevi who's similar age as the ones mentioned above.

Of course its not realistic to assume all of them will be playing for Utica but some of them will be and others will likely be traded. That and remember we generally lose quite a few D due to injury every single season so we might carry extra D prospects just to go between AHL/ECHL. McEneny proved Ds could develop in the ECHL to being useful so its possible we have 1 or more of the above go to the ECHL initially then graduate to the AHL.

Doubt they drafted Juolevi at fifth overall to play a single game in the AHL or ECHL...but forgot about Chatfield being in the mix.....can't believe they're going to sign all of their prospect d-men....but from the sounds of things, Olson has inside track for an ELC, and Neill/Candella might the long-shots at this stage.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
How many spots of the Canucks 50 are still open? They are close to the magic number now. Hansen and Burrows came off, but Goldobin went on. You're talking about signing more.

Who do you expect to come off the list to make room for bottom level players. The summer still remains to potentially add better guys than are already in the mix. I would think they'd have to leave some available slots open for just such possibilities. eg NCAA UFAs in the next few weeks.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Nope.

Jim said they would look into that later. I don't know when later is, but there are a lot of low end guys in the mix who will need a place to go because it won't be Utica.

i can see lots of high risk gamble contracts over the next few years. they really should get their own echl team to handle that.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Nope but its likely not difficult to get an agreement with one of the teams because most teams don't exactly loan/send too many players to the ECHL.

For example i think this year CBJ, NJD, and Florida all don't have ECHL affiliations. No idea where they send their players to but its really not a big deal and every year it seems to be musical chairs anyways (most NHL teams and ECHL sign 1 year agreement and renew them as they see fit, basically probably 20 teams will have no deals again at the end of the season).

NHL teams may realign, but only 4 didn't have an individual ECHL working agreement. With the number of high risk, low tiered players Vancouver may have in hand they need a working agreement so their players get priority for playing time.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that Moynihan, Laplante, and Stewart are still in this high risk pool and they are in Alaska as was Garteig before the chariot race. Roy spent some time there as well.

It wouldn't be a shock if when next season opens, there are 4 or 5 more to be added to this number. Vancouver is not going to raid the Comets D-core so space will be limited for guys beyond Brisebois and the best one of the rest. A Billins and Robak will be there as well. No AHL team ices a defensive unit with less than 2 solid vets. Pedan is still floating around too.

Last edited:

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
How many spots of the Canucks 50 are still open? They are close to the magic number now. Hansen and Burrows came off, but Goldobin went on. You're talking about signing more.

Who do you expect to come off the list to make room for bottom level players. The summer still remains to potentially add better guys than are already in the mix. I would think they'd have to leave some available slots open for just such possibilities. eg NCAA UFAs in the next few weeks.

Right now its 47 not counting MacEven or Chatfield and assuming Juolevi/Brisebois remain as "slides"

Basically 18 forwards, 9 D, 3 goalies in the NHL (30)

17 + 2 slides + 2 recent signings

As far as coming offs... i would expect we only keep a few of:

Rodin
Gaunce
Cramarossa
Boucher (who is trending up lately)
Skillie
Labate
Megna
Shore
Chaput

I expect no more than 4 of the above unless its for AHL purposes (Chaput could be worthwhile for the AHL as a Vet). So that leaves 4 - 5 openings. Nilsson and Billins really don't deserve new contract so that's probably 2 more spots. Larsen is a UFA and i don't really see any reason to resign him. That makes basically 7 - 8 spots.

Not sure if Rendulic is worth a 2 way contract either since he's more or less playing on the 3rd line now i think @ Utica? 200k for that seems a tad on the high side but that's debatable. I hope we resign Grenier for Utica but if we don't, there really won't be an opening since we'll need a 2 way contract to replace his spot. Zalewski and Archibald (who doesn't have a NHL contract) are 2 i hope to resign but i doubt Zalewski will be offered a 2 way contract while Archibald probably needs a 2 way contract (so that's probably a wash too). McEneny deserves another contract and i'll be surprised if he doesn't get signed. Pedan, due to his physical skills (not his mental skills) probably gets another contract but its all due to potential instead of his actual play (which i know has been pretty bad... :laugh: ). That said he's basically like Sbisa... a project that Benning isn't likely to give up on.

Garteig is an unknown at this point. Last year there were a ton of teams interested in him but do we really "need" to carry 5 goalies? If Miller is gone, he'll be replaced by an outside source since Demko is no way ready to be a NHL backup and Bachman's contract is really thanks to Vegas/expansion draft rules. He's a capable AHL goalie but i don't see him as a NHL backup (at least not one for an unproven #1 in Markstrom)... his salary is also inflated to a point where i doubt it leaves much room for Garteig (450k for basically a 1A/B AHL goalie seems very high, i think he might be the highest paid goalie who's job was basically to be in the AHL/not buried).

That basically leaves us with 8-9 spots (assuming 4 goalies). Expansion draft probably takes out 1 other contract (Sbisa unless Gaunce gets picked but i'll assume its Sbisa like i have since the season started...). Making a total of 9-10 spots. 2 of those spots will likely go to AHL Ds whoever they are, we'll need the depth regardless. There's 3 spots right now used solely for AHL players (pending injuries), i expect at least 2 more goes there for "vets" (or maybe Valk?) so that leaves room for probably 5 more prospects. Like i said in another thread, i'm pretty sure Neill will get a contract (will be shocked if he didn't). Pretty sure Olson gets one too because #1 Benning draftee (even if its 7th round) and we really don't have that many Ds who like to play physical even in Utica. Juolevi will likely slide again (can't see him making the team next year and if we rush him its a huge mistake).

That leaves room for basically 3 more signings. Kerfoot is one of the few highly rated NCAA prospects we've been linked to. Reese was another but he already signed with the Pens. I don't know if we make any move towards a NCAA D given the number of Ds we already have signed. I mean if someone like Brickley actually decides to sign with us then its a different story but i don't see any connection with us (nor any of the other sought after NCAA Ds).

One player who is interesting is John Stevens... he played for Northeastern (Gaudette connection), has a coach as a father, and seems to be a smart 2 way player (based on reports and watching him play due to watching Gaudette). Signing him might be tough unless we hire his dad as our next coach (and even that's hard since its rumor he's waiting for the LA king job) but there could be some connection there (with Gaudette/our scouts likely there often). We won't be favorites to sign him but likely at least have a chance (even if its very small).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Very disappointing year.

Yeah.

He wouldn't get taken in a re-draft that went 10 rounds deep. Dime-a-dozen #4-5 junior defender. Injuries are tough to come back from and hopefully he does something surprising next year, but this pick basically looks like a write-off right now.

Seems to me the Canucks have a sack-full of the same kind of d-men in Neill, Olson, Brisebois and Candella....won't be room for all of 'em.

Neill probably won't be signed and Candella won't be in Utica for two more years probably. Olson might not be signed either.

Brisebois is the only name there that matters even remotely. The rest are just late-round junk.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Yeah.

He wouldn't get taken in a re-draft that went 10 rounds deep. Dime-a-dozen #4-5 junior defender. Injuries are tough to come back from and hopefully he does something surprising next year, but this pick basically looks like a write-off right now.

Neill probably won't be signed and Candella won't be in Utica for two more years probably. Olson might not be signed either.

Brisebois is the only name there that matters even remotely. The rest are just late-round junk.

Care to explain why you think Neill won't be signed?

Based on stats, he was drafted 5th/#144 in 2015 after a 40 point/63 gp season. The very next year he had 50 points/64 games followed by now a 69 pt/67 GP season. Offensively he's more productive than Juolevi. This is his overage year but his production should be good enough to get a contract. He's also +21 this year (vs -16/-19) and now playing on Charlottetown (same team as Brisebois). Since the trade he has had 23 pts in 31 games .75 ppg vs Brisebois .77 for the year, so i'm NOT saying he's better than Brisebois (since i'm actually higher on Brisebois) but i can't see how he doesn't get a contract. Even McEneny's overage year, he wasn't nearly as productive as Neill.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Care to explain why you think Neill won't be signed?

Based on stats, he was drafted 5th/#144 in 2015 after a 40 point/63 gp season. The very next year he had 50 points/64 games followed by now a 69 pt/67 GP season. Offensively he's more productive than Juolevi. This is his overage year but his production should be good enough to get a contract. He's also +21 this year (vs -16/-19) and now playing on Charlottetown (same team as Brisebois). Since the trade he has had 23 pts in 31 games .75 ppg vs Brisebois .77 for the year, so i'm NOT saying he's better than Brisebois (since i'm actually higher on Brisebois) but i can't see how he doesn't get a contract. Even McEneny's overage year, he wasn't nearly as productive as Neill.

He can't skate and he can't read the play defensively.

He's good on the PP and picks up a lot of points there at the junior level, but I don't see how he projects as anything moving up levels.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
canucks will need to sign two 40/70 game forwards before expansion to meet exposure requirements since all their exposed players right now will be unsigned. that means two of gaunce, chaput, boucher, megna, skille, or cramarossa will need to be signed.

since vegas is limited to taking 10 unsigned rfas out of 30 choices, the canucks would be smart not to sign any unsigned player they think vegas might want. so gaunce does not get signed until after the expansion draft unless they prefer him to be taken over sbisa.

so i think at least 3 of those guys will be under contract.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

He's good on the PP and picks up a lot of points there at the junior level, but I don't see how he projects as anything moving up levels.

This should be in the Neill thread but I can declare that every 5th round pick doesn't project as anything moving up levels and have at least an 80% batting average. That's just the nature of the business. You don't just sign guys who you think is guaranteed to make it to the NHL. You'll be left with no prospects in your system if you do. I expected at least one of Neill and Olson to be signed but the Chatfield signing kind of threw a wrench in things. I still expect Neill to be signed.

I am a lot higher on Neill than you are. Yes his backwards skating, mobility, and defensive play still needs work, but his offensive skills and production can't be denied and he he has good size and can play positionally sound defense. And it's not like Neill is some overager who manage to put up a lot of points at the junior level. He was a former 9th overall pick in the QMJHL draft, and his point progression has seen a nice bump the last 3 seasons including this season where he's now up to 13 goals and 69 points in 67 games. Last year in the playoffs he tied for the team lead in goals and points with 4 goals in 5 games. His skill/ability to QB a PP is something the Canucks don't have on the team and in the system.

I think Neill deserves a signing and can't see why he wouldn't get an ELC. He plays for a good team and with Brisebois so the Canucks should have lots of look before Neill's season is done.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

His skating was an issue when he was drafted but seems to have improved. I didn't notice any skating issues when i watched him/Brisebois this year. He isn't fast but didn't seem like an issue so it might have improved (tho relatively speaking, i guess we need to see him vs NHLer to really see).

Defensive play seems to have improved tho without a doubt isn't a strength.

Those are fair points but Subban has the same issues and even Juolevi has issues about his play in his own end. Honestly almost all D prospects after the CHL will have some issues in their own end (most young D in general, including Tryamkin/Stecher/Hutton). Should get a closer look considering Charlottetown seems to be all in this year (which is good for us since Brisebois and Neill are in the 1st/2nd pairing).

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
His skating was an issue when he was drafted but seems to have improved. I didn't notice any skating issues when i watched him/Brisebois this year. He isn't fast but didn't seem like an issue so it might have improved (tho relatively speaking, i guess we need to see him vs NHLer to really see).

Defensive play seems to have improved tho without a doubt isn't a strength.

Those are fair points but Subban has the same issues and even Juolevi has issues about his play in his own end. Honestly almost all D prospects after the CHL will have some issues in their own end (most young D in general, including Tryamkin/Stecher/Hutton). Should get a closer look considering Charlottetown seems to be all in this year (which is good for us since Brisebois and Neill are in the 1st/2nd pairing).

Ya it's like Connauton. If Neill improves his foot speed and defense you have an NHL defenseman. If not you have a fringe guy.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Yeah.

was candella signed to a contract?

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Ya it's like Connauton. If Neill improves his foot speed and defense you have an NHL defenseman. If not you have a fringe guy.

Funny thing is even Connauton continues to get NHL contracts despite really not improving since his WHL days. One of the reasons i don't see how Neill doesn't get an ELC (at least to see if he can improve).

was candella signed to a contract?

As far as i know, nope. But he was just drafted so we have over a year to sign him (if we want).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad