Prospect Info: Colby Barlow LW(18th overall)

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Do any posters on here think Barlow can crack the lineup and play as a regular this season ? or do posters think it will be 1 -2 years. You have to bear in mind he has man size at 6" - 200 lbs and a nice beard to go with it.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Do any posters on here think Barlow can crack the lineup and play as a regular this season ? or do posters think it will be 1 -2 years. You have to bear in mind he has man size at 6" - 200 lbs and a nice beard to go with it.
I'm thinking 1-2 years, at least one more major junior year where hopefully he can crack 100 points and shows awesome progression. Could see him jumping to the NHL for his D+2 season though.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Putting any but the truly elite into the NHL in their D+1 season isn't a smart idea IMO. He may even go back for 2 seasons for all we know.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
He needs to go back. It isn't like we don't have other options. Let me him grow and get some confidence and dominate and play at the World Juniors. Look at how Lambert flourished in the WHL.
One more year in the OHL, then where? AHL?

The Jets may have a ton of forwards coming in 2024. Lambert, Mcgroarty, Lucius, now Barlow..

Reactions: GNP and 10Ducky10

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think we see how he does in the preseason and if he does well he should only get nine games. I think he's going to be a stud at the WJC and in the OHL. But I see him making the jump full-time in 2025-26.

He reminds me a lot of Matthew Tkachuk in terms of his playing style.

Reactions: GNP

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
just b/c i like looking at things

there's been 38 fwds drafted 18th overall. 30 fwds have played 1+ NHL gm.

the career avg of the selection based off the 30 that played (and of course this is as of today): 350 gp, 75 goals, 177 pts with the per-82gp avg is 17 goals, 41 pts.

since '03: 11 fwds - per 82 avg - 15 goals, 36 pts
since '12: 5 fwds - per 82 avg - 19 goals, 52 pts (tuch, teuvo, mercer 99% of that).

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241 and Jack7222

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That thought crossed my mind. But when was the last time a 18 OA stepped right into the NHL?
But he was rated 12 you say. OK, when was the last time a 12OA stepped straight into the NHL?

To look at him, and to read what others say about him it seems possible, but being realistic, it has to be an extremely long shot and might actually hurt his career in the long run.

One more year in the OHL, then where? AHL?

The Jets may have a ton of forwards coming in 2024. Lambert, Mcgroarty, Lucius, now Barlow..

He won't be eligible for the AHL a year from now. It will be NHL or Jr.

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
That thought crossed my mind. But when was the last time a 18 OA stepped right into the NHL?
But he was rated 12 you say. OK, when was the last time a 12OA stepped straight into the NHL?

To look at him, and too read what others say about him it seems possible, but being realistic, it has to be an extremely long shot and might actually hurt his career in the long run.

He won't be eligible for the AHL a year from now. It will be NHL or Jr.
One of the stranger things I can remember is Ryan O'Reilly stepping straight into the NHL as an 18 year old. He was a 2nd round pick. Not as an argument to play Barlow just came to mind.

Can't see him jumping Lucius and Lambert right now.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

enuffidiotsalready

Nov 25, 2019
my hot take

Colby to ohl/wjhc. maybe gets a taste of 9 games or less

however, his beard is named the youngest team captain in franchise history!

• Haha
Reactions: macmaroon

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Non Jets fan here, but Barlow was one of my favourite prospects in this years draft (also drafted him in a dynasty league).

If you love hockey, its going to be difficult to not fall in love with Barlow. Hes the type of player coaches and gm's dream about. In a nutshell, he basically reminds me of a more high end Zach Hyman with an elite shot and finishing ability.

This guy will be able to play anywhere in the line up in essentially any role. At his peak I could see him being the 2nd scoring option on a top line. He will be a guy that will play both the PP and PK, and could be depended on when the other team has their goalie pulled. He can be a great shooting option on a PP, weaponizing not only his deadly wrist shot but also his one-timer.

Theres no quit in Colby's game, he always gives you honest effort and pace of play. I mentioned that his shot is elite, and behind bedard his shot is arguably the second best in this years draft. He often uses a toe drag shot similar to Matthews. His release is lightning quick, and he can generate so much power in such a small amount of space and time.

His stats this year could have been better if he had more talent to play with, especially with him being more of a goal scorer instead of a play maker. But he was far and away the best player on his team.

I was honestly shocked the Jets were able to snag him at 18, but it seems like a lot of teams were reaching/placing a greater importance on players that could play C.

I look forward to see how Colby's progresses over the next few years and soon enough he will be lighting the lamp for the Jets.

This video does a great job showcasing the type of player you get with Barlow.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Non Jets fan here, but Barlow was one of my favourite prospects in this years draft (also drafted him in a dynasty league).

If you love hockey, its going to be difficult to not fall in love with Barlow. Hes the type of player coaches and gm's dream about. In a nutshell, he basically reminds me of a more high end Zach Hyman with an elite shot and finishing ability.

This guy will be able to play anywhere in the line up in essentially any role. At his peak I could see him being the 2nd scoring option on a top line. He will be a guy that will play both the PP and PK, and could be depended on when the other team has their goalie pulled. He can be a great shooting option on a PP, weaponizing not only his deadly wrist shot but also his one-timer.

Theres no quit in Colby's game, he always gives you honest effort and pace of play. I mentioned that his shot is elite, and behind bedard his shot is arguably the second best in this years draft. He often uses a toe drag shot similar to Matthews. His release is lightning quick, and he can generate so much power in such a small amount of space and time.

His stats this year could have been better if he had more talent to play with, especially with him being more of a goal scorer instead of a play maker. But he was far and away the best player on his team.

I was honestly shocked the Jets were able to snag him at 18, but it seems like a lot of teams were reaching/placing a greater importance on players that could play C.

I look forward to see how Colby's progresses over the next few years and soon enough he will be lighting the lamp for the Jets.

This video does a great job showcasing the type of player you get with Barlow.

Thanks for this.

Reactions: Been around

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Our man Colby likely has 2 years in the OHL ahead of him unfortunately. Could do a job on the Moose as a 19 year-old in a year, but that is not permitted.

Reactions: surixon

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
just b/c i like looking at things

there's been 38 fwds drafted 18th overall. 30 fwds have played 1+ NHL gm.

the career avg of the selection based off the 30 that played (and of course this is as of today): 350 gp, 75 goals, 177 pts with the per-82gp avg is 17 goals, 41 pts.

since '03: 11 fwds - per 82 avg - 15 goals, 36 pts
since '12: 5 fwds - per 82 avg - 19 goals, 52 pts (tuch, teuvo, mercer 99% of that).

Interesting draft slot. Hopefully we end up with a Tuch Mercer Teuvo level talent in Barlow. Nice data scraping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad