Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Pavel Francouz signs one year deal with the Avs

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
With the Avalanche being a budget team looking to spend at the cap floor, this is an excellent financial move.

Bernier($2.75m) and Hammond($1.35m) are replaced by Francouz at $690k.

Avs now sit with $30m in cap space and around $10m under the cap floor. Overpay some old UFAs and get to that floor no problem.
Truthfully, I thought you were joking. But you put actual effort into this. The Avs are in no way a budget team. That’s all that I’ll say lol.

Reactions: Patagonia

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Truthfully, I thought you were joking. But you put actual effort into this. The Avs are in no way a budget team. That’s all that I’ll say lol.

He is joking, c´mon.

But great to see us sign this guy.
Very good numbers in the KHL, so it is a good shot this.
Especially so cheap.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
since looks like Bernier is on the move, I'd just say that I would have liked to keep him around for one or two more years. but well, probably he wanted more term and a bigger role, can't fault him there. good luck to him and I hope this Francouz can be better than Hamburgler, at least. Avs have even more cap space now for the offseason. JT at 10M, come down to Denver.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Much better than the Koskinen signing, that's for sure. Perhaps he isn't as proven a goalie, but his save % has been better on a worse team, so I doubt he could possibly be all that bad.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Much better than the Koskinen signing, that's for sure. Perhaps he isn't as proven a goalie, but his save % has been better on a worse team, so I doubt he could possibly be all that bad.

I think their valuation speaks for itself if Koskinen gets 2,5 million dollars and Francois the league minimum?

Koskinen has played 77 KHL play-off games, won the league twice with save percentage between 93.5-94.9 and GAA between 1.47-1.64. Francois has 18 KHL play-offs games and save percentage which varies between 92.4-94.9 and GAA between 2.15-1.9. Francois also played in a far smaller team which means lesser inner competition as the wealthiest teams in free market are allowed to buy players when there are no NHL style communist restrictions hence filling their teams with good players. Koskinen is also 20 centimetres taller..

This Koskinen bashing is incredible, especially when the reasoning does not provide any context which is vital when you are not talking anymore of draft leagues but free market situation where the best tend to get the best offers from the best.

Colorado Avalanche has the best goaltending coach in the world in Jussi Parkkila so they can be more adventurous in their signings but Francouz is Varlamov's armour bearer and hatch opener while Koskinen for 2,5 million dollars will eat Talbot.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I think their valuation speaks for itself if Koskinen gets 2,5 million dollars and Francois the league minimum?

Koskinen has played 77 KHL play-off games, won the league twice with save percentage between 93.5-94.9 and GAA between 1.47-1.64. Francois has 18 KHL play-offs games and save percentage which varies between 92.4-94.9 and GAA between 2.15-1.9. Francois also played in a far smaller team which means lesser inner competition as the wealthiest teams in free market are allowed to buy players when there are no NHL style communist restrictions hence filling their teams with good players. Koskinen is also 20 centimetres taller..

This Koskinen bashing is incredible, especially when the reasoning does not provide any context which is vital when you are not talking anymore of draft leagues but free market situation where the best tend to get the best offers from the best.

Colorado Avalanche has the best goaltending coach in the world in Jussi Parkkila so they can be more adventurous in their signings but Francouz is Varlamov's armour bearer and hatch opener while Koskinen for 2,5 million dollars will eat Talbot.

Interesting how you use the ability to be able to buy players as a sort of boost to Koskinen.

Inner competition matters.

But, it also implies Koskinen has a much better team in front of him.

Of course he has more playoff games, he plays on a stacked team.

We’ll see what Koskinen does at the NHL level. Like Francouz, both of these guys face nowhere near the level of competition and quality of shooters that they face in the KHL.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Interesting how you use the ability to be able to buy players as a sort of boost to Koskinen.

Inner competition matters.

But, it also implies Koskinen has a much better team in front of him.

And Francouz had worse team in front of him, with the main task of helping him also so I it ain't like it works only one way. I think it speaks for itself when Koskinen has been able to keep one of the most wanted, under pressure jobs in Eurasia for four seasons as strong number one goaltender. Koskinen's competition was after all Russian international goaltender in a Russian league whom Koskinen kept this season to one play-off appearance only as he played 15 of those. Francouz closest rival Demtsenko played 5 play-off games this spring while Francouz played 12 so there was bit more even match-up of lesser goalies at Traktor Tseljabinsk compared to SKA's duo.

Having disparity between teams is not anything new to Eurasian leagues as every team has a bigger fish trying to attract their players who have no regulations restricting their movement. Hence the best drift towards the top and SKA when it counted relied on Finnish olympic goaltender standard. Koskinen didn't even made his name playing for SKA in the first place as he was bought (with money) from KHL's Sibir to SKA during a season when he won the KHL goaltender of the year award.

Francouz has couple nice seasons in KHL under his belt and has won a domestic championship but I would say there is still contextual difference to what Koskinen has managed to achieve in his KHL years which registers in their asking prices as well. I like the signing for Edmonton and the gamble with Colorado given that they have more importantly the best goaltending coach in the world hired nowadays but grouping these two former KHLers together I believe leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to forecasting their future.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Uh, this logic is ???

I'd argue that considering that SKA's the richest stream with a stacked lineup and amazing defense, the shots Koskinen would face would also be fewer in number and of lower quality. Yet he still posted a lower save%. Despite being 20cm taller.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
It is a sample size of four times the size of the toughest games in KHL SKA has won two out of Koskinen's four seasons which I wouldn't count as some unbeatable dynasty as which people here are painting his team (or did he even need to play). SKA has had a good team and perhaps the most wealth but of course this anti-Russian propaganda oversells it as they tend to have names people from Northern America even recognize. Tappara and Kärpät have had good, winning teams in the past years, yet their goaltenders do seem to attract attention from more wealthy KHL teams so it ain't like Koskinen was in some unique situation when it comes to Eurasian leagues where a hierarchy of teams within a league tends to exist.

Francouz then had the benefit of getting more shots, adding to his numbers. It ain't like his Russian non-international back-up wasn't also posting good numbers. I'm not saying he didn't have good seasons as he did but yet again they are not very good comparables as the context varies so much, even if both are UFA goaltenders transitioning from KHL to NHL.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
And Francouz had worse team in front of him, with the main task of helping him also so I it ain't like it works only one way. I think it speaks for itself when Koskinen has been able to keep one of the most wanted, under pressure jobs in Eurasia for four seasons as strong number one goaltender. Koskinen's competition was after all Russian international goaltender in a Russian league whom Koskinen kept this season to one play-off appearance only as he played 15 of those. Francouz closest rival Demtsenko played 5 play-off games this spring while Francouz played 12 so there was bit more even match-up of lesser goalies at Traktor Tseljabinsk compared to SKA's duo.

Having disparity between teams is not anything new to Eurasian leagues as every team has a bigger fish trying to attract their players who have no regulations restricting their movement. Hence the best drift towards the top and SKA when it counted relied on Finnish olympic goaltender standard. Koskinen didn't even made his name playing for SKA in the first place as he was bought (with money) from KHL's Sibir to SKA during a season when he won the KHL goaltender of the year award.

Francouz has couple nice seasons in KHL under his belt and has won a domestic championship but I would say there is still contextual difference to what Koskinen has managed to achieve in his KHL years which registers in their asking prices as well. I like the signing for Edmonton and the gamble with Colorado given that they have more importantly the best goaltending coach in the world hired nowadays but grouping these two former KHLers together I believe leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to forecasting their future.
So it's a gamble for Colorado but not for Edmonton. Hmmmm! Interesting!!!!

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
So it's a gamble for Colorado but not for Edmonton. Hmmmm! Interesting!!!!

Your team didn't give Francoiz the most welcome terms to sign. There is also a clear number one already in the organization in Varlamov, coached by his long term goaltending coach Parkkila (working with him could have made Francoiz sign) so he wasn't exactly given keys of the city with this deal. Koskinen in comparison is in good standings as he prepares to eat Talbot which is also reflected in his asking price which the Oilers met. One of these was far more willing in coming over to open the hatch.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
i really dont think this means colorado's back up job is secured. This screams AHL time at an "nhl" salary to start.

Yeah, this reminds me a bit of Anaheim signing Reto Berra to a 700K one way deal last year. Berra was insurance in case Gibson missed time. Anaheim had to give a one way deal in order to get Berra to leave Switzerland.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Yeah, this reminds me a bit of Anaheim signing Reto Berra to a 700K one way deal last year. Berra was insurance in case Gibson missed time. Anaheim had to give a one way deal in order to get Berra to leave Switzerland.
yeah it was probably a negotiation tactic. you'll make your money regardless of where you play, but you'll have an opportunity to earn a spot at training camp or injury call ups.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Your team didn't give Francoiz the most welcome terms to sign. There is also a clear number one already in the organization in Varlamov, coached by his long term goaltending coach Parkkila (working with him could have made Francoiz sign) so he wasn't exactly given keys of the city with this deal. Koskinen in comparison is in good standings as he prepares to eat Talbot which is also reflected in his asking price which the Oilers met. One of these was far more willing in coming over to open the hatch.
Francouz, came here because it had absolutely nothing to do with money.

Koskinen came because he was paid. He would never have come for a 700k salary.

Francouz’s agent has already mentioned that he turned lucrative contract offers from SKA Petersburg and Traktor.

He’s willing to put the work in to work his way to an NHL role.

Your stance comes off as if Koskinen is a sure-fire NHL starter. We’ll see how these guys actually fare against far-superior competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad