Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Joe Colborne (2 years, $2.5M AAV)

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin

In case anyone wants highlights of him at his best.

Liked him, just not at 3.5+ that he'd have gotten in arbitration.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
he can certainly put together 20 good games... there are times in any season he might be the star of the game for a week or two of hockey

then theres around 40 games where you wish you didnt need him on your 4th line.

if he shows up at playoff time hes a pretty decent guy to have around on the roster. theres a chance he might still get better.

i wouldnt be happy if my contending team was paying him 2.5 mill... but on a non playoff team hes probably worth the gamble

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'm one of his biggest critics and this is a good deal.

He's a middle six winger with a big body and good hands. He'll go on a hot streak and put up big points. Good in the shootout.

Bad things are that he's inconsistent, in playing physically, in playing offensively and defensively. He's not as soft as he used to be, but not what you want from a guy his size. Average at best skater. But when he's cold, he's ice cold. Play dies on his stick if he gets it cold.

But for this price its a solid pickup. Just don't play him at center and you are fine. He's gonna drive you crazy sometimes.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Colborne played with Monahan and Gaudreau, he couldn't keep up and the pick died on his stick more often than not. If you think your aces are going to hold him up, you might be barking up the wrong tree.

It's a good value contract, his numbers are inflated with that late season run; but you're looking at a 30 point big skill winger. Not a bad price point. He didn't have a spot with this team with the drafting of Tkachuk and Shinkaruk emerging last season.

He actually played on the following lines 35% of the time

DAVID JONES JOE COLBORNE MATT STAJAN 14.87%
MICHAEL FROLIK JOE COLBORNE MIKAEL BACKLUND 11.41%
MICHEAL FERLAND JOE COLBORNE MATT STAJAN 8.96%

And he played with Johnny and Seanny less than 5% of the time

JOHNNY GAUDREAU JOE COLBORNE SEAN MONAHAN 4.79%

source

Last edited:

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
he's pretty much got no hockey sense, but he can protect the puck sometimes and knows at least to screen the goalie. will win you a few games in the shootout. not a bad price/term for him. glad the flames moved on.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
For 2.5 id he continues to improve hes a steal and if he doesnt its eh two years. Great signing.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
No it's smart, if he's fortunate enough to play with Duchene then his stats are gonna be either maintained or even improve and they won't go down much with MacKinnon either so he can then cash in again in 2 years time. If he'd just taken a bigger contract somewhere now, might've ended in a buyout and the end of his NHL career.

As far as putting up points, he's on a good team for sure. I was thinking more of playoff contention (which seems likely to elude the Avs for a while since their management keeps trading away good players or letting them walk).

But I will say, Colborne will put up numbers as long as he plays with good players. He can carry the puck a little, and he's a good passer. Not a good playmaker, but a good passer. He'll leech points off of Duchene or MacKinnon like he was born for it. Decent contract, since he's an okay bottom six player at least.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Colborne is a 25-30 point player who had a late season hot streak after the games didn't matter. He wanted closer to 4 to stay in Calgary, which he simply wasn't worth it.

Would have preferred to trade him, but it's fine that he is simply gone. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Chaisson replaces Colborne's normal production next year.

That's fine, at $2.5m, we paid him for 30 points on the 3rd line. Anything over that is gravy.

As far as putting up points, he's on a good team for sure. I was thinking more of playoff contention (which seems likely to elude the Avs for a while since their management keeps trading away good players or letting them walk).

But I will say, Colborne will put up numbers as long as he plays with good players. He can carry the puck a little, and he's a good passer. Not a good playmaker, but a good passer. He'll leech points off of Duchene or MacKinnon like he was born for it. Decent contract, since he's an okay bottom six player at least.

On a good team like the flames? His opportunities shouldn't be any different in Colorado.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
What happened????????

44 points to 5 points.

He scored 3 goals in his first game.

so essentially 1 goal & 1 assist in 45 games :facepalm:

54% in the face off circle last year and now 36%

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I can't confirm this but it is probably the biggest drop off in production in the NHL.
I could be wrong though.

I can't think of someone else who is having a worse season.

edit -- Forgot about soderberg

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
What happened????????

44 points to 5 points.

He scored 3 goals in his first game.

so essentially 1 goal & 1 assist in 45 games :facepalm:

54% in the face off circle last year and now 36%

He is just an awful fit for the Avs current system. When they brought him in it was supposed to be under Roy where he probably could have done alright but under Bednar you NEED to be a fast player which is where Colborne struggles.

He also has been majorly on the wing and not his natural center position which hasn't been great. I dont expect him to be moved but I think he would do well on a team like LA.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I can't confirm this but it is probably the biggest drop off in production in the NHL.
I could be wrong though.

I can't think of someone else who is having a worse season.

edit -- Forgot about soderberg

Compared to expectation Lucic is playing at barely a 4th liner level and is signed for 6 more years at 6 mil.

I think he has like 15 5v5 points and only 4 away from Mcdavid.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Well he's playing in a system with no system... They literally can't even enter the offensive zone correctly.

Bednar is a rotten coach. Every single player on his roster is playing below their talent level. That comes down to coaching.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Well he's playing in a system with no system... They literally can't even enter the offensive zone correctly.

Bednar is a rotten coach. Every single player on his roster is playing below their talent level. That comes down to coaching.

Or simply inheriting a roster that was a poor fit for his system to begin with a week before the season with no input on how to shape it in UFA.

But why give a coach an actual chance to get some guys that fits what he is trying to do and just assume he is "rotten" despite having a roster that would lose no matter who the coach is. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad