Waived: [COL] G Ivan Prosvetov waived by Colorado (cleared)

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Was looking at the Avs roster the other day and noticed that he is averaging less than 45 minutes a game, that feels, uh, not good for a goalie
?

He’s only been pulled in 1 of his 8 starts.

His average is at 45 because he’s come into games in relief a few times.

Goodbye Johnathan Quick, we hardly knew you.
:(
Why would the rangers trade him away?

Don’t they need a reliable back up as well?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If there is an incoming trade, there’s really only two reasons you’d ever waive Prosvetov before announcing the trade.

One of which is too long to explain but would have to involve both teams having 6 pro goalies under contract, 50 contract limits coming into play, pending additional trades, etc, etc.

So it’s probably not that crazy of a scenario.

It’s much more likely “IF” there is a pending trade, Prosvetov is a value piece in that deal, but the other team will only take him, with the intention he plays in the AHL, and is concerned he might not clear waivers.

So Colorado is putting him through waivers beforehand. If he clears, great, he’s involved in the trade, but if he gets claimed, a different piece goes the other way in the trade.

The trade (for the new goalie) would still happen, regardless if he’s claimed or not.

That would only likely be happening, if it’s a trade with Montreal or Detroit. In all likelihood anyway.

So for example, if it’s James Reimer, Detroit could be willing to take a pick and Prosvetov for example, but wants Prosvetov in the AHL, and isn’t willing to do the deal including him, unless they know he wouldn’t be claimed.

So Colorado does it beforehand, and if he doesn’t clear, they’ve already agreed to a backup plan regarding the compensation. Maybe the pick goes a round higher, or a different piece is included. Whatever it may be.

That would be the most likely scenario “IF” a trade was the reason he went on waivers today.

Detroit and Montreal never intended to have 3 goalies this far into the season. So they’re not going to finally move one, to have the same issue. If they take a goalie back, he’ll be going to the AHL.

Two FWIW things? Detroit did just activate Husso 2-3 days ago, so is back to having 3 goalies in the NHL, and Lyon isn’t going anywhere. So either Husso or Reimer is likely being moved, and the Avs are a good landing spot for Reimer.

The second thing of interest? A few days ago, Cossa had to replace Hutchinson in the 3rd period for Grand Rapids, and I don’t believe he’s played since. Although nothing has been announced, if he’s dealing with an injury, that would leave Grand Rapids with only one goalie, while Detroit has 3, but can’t send one down. While they can call up their ECHL goaltender, it’s not something they’d want to do, with Grand Rapids now in the playoff picture.

Getting Prosvetov would also make Detroit feel much more comfortable trading Reimer IF something happens to Husso or Lyon in the near future. They’d hate to throw Cossa into NHL games, and Hutchinson is, well Hutchinson. Especially how important their games will be down the stretch.

So there is some smoke coming from Detroit right now.

Reactions: HBK27 and Rec T

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
How does this waiver work? Coyotes originally put him on waivers for purpose of sending him to Tucson. There were 3 teams behind Colorado at the time of the claim.

If none of those teams put in a claim at the time, doesn't his rights revert to the Coyotes? Or do all the teams get another chance to make a claim on him again?

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
The team does seem to bond around Annunen. Here’s a still from his last start.

1707021384267.jpeg

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
hmmm, think we will see a waiver claim here, someone is gonna take a shot that a change in scene, different coaching and system may be enough to get him to a place he could be...had a couple good games with Colorado this season, several stinkers too though...but his size and potential likely entices someone...

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
hmmm, think we will see a waiver claim here, someone is gonna take a shot that a change in scene, different coaching and system may be enough to get him to a place he could be...had a couple good games with Colorado this season, several stinkers too though...but his size and potential likely entices someone...

I don't think he is terrible. Avalanche as a team is playing awful defense this season, which hasn't helped our goaltenders numbers.

Reactions: Elbombatzo

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I assume Arizona gets him back. I think there were only 3 teams on the original waiver list behind Colorado.
Why would ARZ want him back? He's been bad in the NHL and barely better in the AHL. He's worse than Ingram and he's no better than Vejmelka.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Why would ARZ want him back? He's been bad in the NHL and barely better in the AHL. He's worse than Ingram and he's no better than Vejmelka.
.849% in 4 starts for a 20 yo was never a good idea and Thornton should have been returned to the OHL. Prosvetov has better stats in the NHL then Thornton has in the AHL!

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Lol. The only reason you guys beat us in the playoffs is beacuse kadri ran winnington. He literally shut you guyd down. You get him on your team and you got your self a cup.

Facts.
You think Binnington is better than Vasi? Impressive that you think the Avs won the Cup cus a Blues player fell into him. Copium I guess.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
If the Coyotes put in the only claim, they can send him down to Tucson. The RRs need another goalie for the AHL playoff run IMO.

Compare development tracks for Ingram and Prosvetov at the same age (24). Ingram had played 149 AHL games and 3 NHL games. Prosvetov has played 125 AHL games and 24 NHL games. I don't think it's unthinkable next season for Prosvetov to have a 25yo season like Ingram did, which was quite good.

I'm not sure of the future of Vejmelka with the Coyotes either. Are they going to extend him this summer? Not clear. But there is a hot goalie trade market right now and someone might be willing to pay for Veggie.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
If the Coyotes put in the only claim, they can send him down to Tucson. The RRs need another goalie for the AHL playoff run IMO.

Compare development tracks for Ingram and Prosvetov at the same age (24). Ingram had played 149 AHL games and 3 NHL games. Prosvetov has played 125 AHL games and 24 NHL games. I don't think it's unthinkable next season for Prosvetov to have a 25yo season like Ingram did, which was quite good.

I'm not sure of the future of Vejmelka with the Coyotes either. Are they going to extend him this summer? Not clear. But there is a hot goalie trade market right now and someone might be willing to pay for Veggie.

I like the optimism, but I'd be more concerned with how they did in those AHL/NHL games than just the number that they played.

For example, in 149 AHL games, Ingram put up a 0.919 SV%, a 2.41 GAA and 17 shut outs.

In 125 AHL games, Prosvetov put up a 0.895 SV%, a 3.30 GAA and only 4 shutouts.

I'm sure many people would suggest Prosvetov's numbers might be better on a team that isn't affiliated with the Coyotes, but he's done nothing at any level to make me believe he'll magically become NHL caliber anytime soon.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I like the optimism, but I'd be more concerned with how they did in those AHL/NHL games than just the number that they played.

For example, in 149 AHL games, Ingram put up a 0.919 SV%, a 2.41 GAA and 17 shut outs.

In 125 AHL games, Prosvetov put up a 0.895 SV%, a 3.30 GAA and only 4 shutouts.

I'm sure many people would suggest Prosvetov's numbers might be better on a team that isn't affiliated with the Coyotes, but he's done nothing at any level to make me believe he'll magically become NHL caliber anytime soon.
I agree that they're not exactly the same. And I think the Coyotes wanted to give Prosvetov this season in the AHL to right those numbers. But I'm admittedly in the "goalie development is voodoo" camp.

Coyotes also have Villalta who is 24 and has carried the water for Tucson after Colorado claimed Prosvetov. Villalta has 141 AHL games with a 2.93 and .904 but has no NHL games. At the beginning of the season, I think the plan was to develop both goalies and see what things looked like at the trade deadline. A reclaim would potentially just put them back on that plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad