Claimed off Waivers: [COL] Avalanche claim Patrik Nemeth (DAL)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Good for Nemeth, I wasn't confident Hitch would let him on the ice.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Lol. Hitch glowed upon Oleksiak because he played good in the preseason. The bolded is pretty much you saying "If Nemeth was better than our other D he would not have been on waiver"

Well, I didn't see camp, when Hitch started raving about Jamie, but I saw two preseason games at home, and Jamie didn't match the glowing reports that started coming out early from Hitch. What I am saying is Hitch seemed to make up his mind very early, probably before it was a real conclusion based on play.

I was talking to Brent Sevyrn at a game last year, and he said he thought they were higher on Oleksiak, and he is an announcer, kind of an insider. Also led me to my conclusion that they had decided on Jamie O even before the season, and his play in pre-season (that I saw live) just barely rated the praise.

Granted, Nemeth was invisible in the two games I saw, once running into Bishop. But, I had/have the feeling they decided early and it was going to take Patrick a miracle to actually make the big squad. As always, could be wrong. I always favored Nemeth over Jamie because it seemed like he had more hockey sense and maybe even better skating.

Coach says he is top 4 coming in, and that he should thrive in a new situation, doesn't know what went on in Dallas. They like him, and I agree. Here's hoping he makes it in the NHL, and plays great against everyone but Dallas, LOL. I figured if he was sent to AHL, he might go back home and play there instead, but I don't know.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
If anything, at least he'll get a ton of chances in Colorado.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Well, I didn't see camp, when Hitch started raving about Jamie, but I saw two preseason games at home, and Jamie didn't match the glowing reports that started coming out early from Hitch. What I am saying is Hitch seemed to make up his mind very early, probably before it was a real conclusion based on play.

I was talking to Brent Sevyrn at a game last year, and he said he thought they were higher on Oleksiak, and he is an announcer, kind of an insider. Also led me to my conclusion that they had decided on Jamie O even before the season, and his play in pre-season (that I saw live) just barely rated the praise.

Granted, Nemeth was invisible in the two games I saw, once running into Bishop. But, I had/have the feeling they decided early and it was going to take Patrick a miracle to actually make the big squad. As always, could be wrong. I always favored Nemeth over Jamie because it seemed like he had more hockey sense and maybe even better skating.

Coach says he is top 4 coming in, and that he should thrive in a new situation, doesn't know what went on in Dallas. They like him, and I agree. Here's hoping he makes it in the NHL, and plays great against everyone but Dallas, LOL. I figured if he was sent to AHL, he might go back home and play there instead, but I don't know.

Doesn't matter if you watched pre season or not. Saying if a coach like a player more he wouldn't have gotten waived might be the most redundant sentence possible in this situation

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
They're not great players, but they would be cheap to acquire, and mostly on expiring contracts. It's not like there are a lot of great options out there for Colorado if they want to add some experienced D depth.
Teams can get equal or better players through waivers.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I was a big fan of Nemeth before the freak injury. Too bad for him, hopefully it works out in Colorado. For a big man who is supposed to be the stay at home physical type he was great at reading when to pinch and keep plays alive. Hopefully he gets that back and goes on to have a solid career.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Doesn't matter if you watched pre season or not. Saying if a coach like a player more he wouldn't have gotten waived might be the most redundant sentence possible in this situation

What's done is done, and its not like the first time I have seen prospects I liked come and falter, then go. Meaning I have to let it go, too. However, disagree, first, yes it does matter if I saw games in making my judgments to post on the net, rather than typical blather.

Second, the point is to some degree, it seems Nill dictated to Hitch they preferred JO, (perhaps because there were rumors Nemeth had become disenchanted) and then Hitch sold it to the public as a better idea than it really was. At one point, he did make the point that the roster control was really upstairs.

IMHO, they were about equal players. So the good news for the Avs is, if a new DAL coach can see one of them as top 4 material, not out of the realm for the COL coach to see the other as top 4 material.

If there was ever a good "change of scenery" type pick up, I think Nemeth is a good candidate to be one. Wish him well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad