Cogliano vs Bergfors

Status
Not open for further replies.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
clarkwgriswold said:
I haven't seen either player play but both were available when the Devils selected and they chose bergfors. That probably means that Bergfors will have a better career...I'll go with Conte and Lamirello over some jagoffs on the hfboards.
just because they are proffesional scouts doesn't mean that they do a better job than people on here...everyone has a certain talent and people on here could be better than the NHL people working...also alot of scouts go through these boards to hear about prospects and so on, so they must know what they are talking about on here IMO....you just have to know how to filter...as for getting drafted ahead of people Patrice Bergeron was drafted 2nd round but is having a better hockey career so far than most of the 1st rounders...and there are alot of cases like this...just because they are 1st rounders doesn't mean they are deemed for stardem :propeller

GorillazXL

Jun 21, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
As an Oilers fan I was pretty miffed to not see the Oilers go after Bergfors. In the limited games I've seen him, he's one of the better players on the ice. Smart player, defensively sound, good skater (don't know where mckenzie got the idea he's a poor skater) and isn't afraid to go into the corners or stand up against players bigger then him. Watching the U18 vs Canada, there was a reason why Canada couldn't get anything going... every outlet pass seemed to somehow end up on the guy's stick. He was IMHO the best player on the ice. Anyways I think he's going to do well in the Q and have a good transition year to NA hockey.

Now Cogliano... I've seen him only the one game (didn't notice him) so it's tough for me to say but from what I've heard he has the Karyia potential. But as an Oilers fan: In Lowe and KP we trust.

GXL

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Ive seen bergfors 2 times, and the same player kept popping into my head, daniel alfredsson. Cogliano ive seen 2 times as well, and he reminds me of daniel briere. Id take alfredsson over briere, and i do think bergfors will be better than cogliano, but i am excited to see what happens to them next season in their respective leagues.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
An Ape called Yoko said:
Glad to see you guys are "not" biased. Basically he is canadian and therefor a better hockeyplayer(which is basically always the case here, or if he is drafted by a more popular team etc), although none of you have actually seen Bergfors. Thats nice.

You guys are great at rubbing each others backs. :amazed:
Have you seen Cogliano? The fact you're getting so defensive points towards your own bias. Not one person said Cogliano's better because he's Canadian.

I've seen Bergfors, and I like him, but I haven't seen Cogliano yet.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i like how there are several people saying "i'll take bergfors because the devils picked him!! hurrrr!!"

:shakehead

at least give some concrete reasons, comparisons of play, etc. (which is why I couldn't say one way or another since I haven't seen either of these guys play)

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
hooty mcboobs said:
That is pure opinion and can be interpreted in so many ways. "acting as as if he actually scored"? Please elaborate. Did he say that he scored, or did he simply not go overboard in explaining that he had in fact not touched the puck during a split second play? It sounds to me like you're searching for a reason to corrobrate a negative opinion. Your selfish player list sounds a lot like the 'no fly' list in the states: no real reason for being on the list, and no explanation that makes sense (or you have converted to Islam - see Cat Stevens).

I have the game on tape so if you give me a bit of time I can go to the attic and find it.

clarkwgriswold*

Detox said:
That is one of the most ignorant postings that Ive come across on these boards...way to make an impression (jagoff?)

That being said, Ive come across a few outstanding reviews on Cogliano, and Im estatic as an Oiler fan for having him add to our future C's with MAP and Schremp, but like most Im intrigued on getting some info on Bergfors, first-hand accounts would be ideal..

I just think its funny that most people here haven't seen either guy up close yet they all choose cogliano. At least I'm being honest, I'm saying I've never seen these guys but I know what I have seen and thats the track record of David Conte.

David Conte had his choice between Cogliano and Bergfors and selected Bergfors. Therefore, I think Bergfors will be better.

:bow: David Conte

CoolburnIsGone

Levitate said:
i like how there are several people saying "i'll take bergfors because the devils picked him!! hurrrr!!"

:shakehead

at least give some concrete reasons, comparisons of play, etc. (which is why I couldn't say one way or another since I haven't seen either of these guys play)
Scouts sometimes go with gut feelings...there's no concrete reasons or comparisons of play used there. So while you have a point, going into the draft I liked Bergfors more than Cogliano and when the Devils selected him I felt more justified in that choice.

My gut instincts say both could be minor leaguers or big game players (ie boom or bust). Preferably, I'd take Bergfors over Cogliano because at least Bergfors could play a fore checking role. I haven't seen either player as well but I just liked all the scouting reports I read about Nicklas which makes him more viable to me.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Alfredsson is exactly the player that Bergfors reminded me of too. He could be fast and dynamic up and down the wings, not really big, but still not afraid to stick his nose in anywhere. Maybe not a lot of pure flash and skill in reality, but some kind of panache like Alfy to sort of make it seem like he had it.

I've never seen Cogliano, but I know I really liked what I saw of Bergfors, and I think the Devils have done yet another Parise here. Kudos to them. (Lucky Devils!!!).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
cagney said:
Whatever you say. I saw it with my own eyes and I thought that it was a selfish move on his part. Does it mean he's worthless? No. But it does corroborate what nmk was saying.

I'm sorry if you felt that I was calling you a liar, I was just exagerating the statement a bit. IMO if that is what he did exactly as you posted it, then that was quite selfish and I'd even call it full of s*** that is not exactly what I'd consider to be good teammate material.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Seachd said:
Have you seen Cogliano? The fact you're getting so defensive points towards your own bias. Not one person said Cogliano's better because he's Canadian.

I've seen Bergfors, and I like him, but I haven't seen Cogliano yet.
Haha no, no one have said that he´s (Cogliano)better because he is canadian(or northamerican). But usaully to draw such a conclusion (on this board) wouldn´t be too far off (don´t underestimate the power of undisputable homerism). And I haven´t said that Bergfors is better than Cogliano either. I couldn´t make such a bold statement, that so many have done here before me in this thread. That would be stupid. Hence, I know basically nothing about Cogliano, except his stats and his modest size.

Right. Now that I have declared I don´t know who´s better than who, im just going to say that in my view Bergfors will be:

1. better than Robert Nilsson.
2. better than Alexander Steen.
3. better than Fredrik Sjöström.
4. better than the Sedins.
5. On par with Henrik Zetterberg.

Maybe i will be wrong or maybe i will be right. Only time will tell. But I don´t know if Cogliano will become even a better player than that.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
An Ape called Yoko said:
Haha no, no one have said that he´s (Cogliano)better because he is canadian(or northamerican). But usaully to draw such a conclusion (on this board) wouldn´t be too far off (don´t underestimate the power of undisputable homerism). And I haven´t said that Bergfors is better than Cogliano either. I couldn´t make such a bold statement, that so many have done here before me in this thread. That would be stupid. Hence, I know basically nothing about Cogliano, except his stats and his modest size.

Right. Now that I have declared I don´t know who´s better than who, im just going to say that in my view Bergfors will be:

1. better than Robert Nilsson.
2. better than Alexander Steen.
3. better than Fredrik Sjöström.
4. better than the Sedins.
5. On par with Henrik Zetterberg.

Maybe i will be wrong or maybe i will be right. Only time will tell. But I don´t know if Cogliano will become even a better player than that.
I don't know where you are coming up with this, but I read through the thread again and at the time of your first post three people had said they would take Cogliano and two had said they would take Bergfors. What are you complaining about?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
cagney said:
I have the game on tape so if you give me a bit of time I can go to the attic and find it.

Alright, I checked it out and here's what was said...

Cogliano was asked to explain the goal he scored and initially he spoke about the importance of the power play and how the team had been working on it. Then he said that he carried the puck into the zone and passed it back to the defenseman (McNeill) which is true. After that he says "I let the guy tip and then drove it into the net." The "guy" who tipped it was Richard Clune (not Dowine like I had mentioned earlier) and from watching the replays it's clear that Cogliano's stick was nowhere close to the puck (he was behind the net with his stick across his body).

I don't think it's a huge issue either way but it's still not something I like seeing a player do at any level.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
I don't get into the whole who's better arguments, but as for any assertion that Andrew Cogliano is selfish in any way, has an attitude problem or isn't a good teammate, nothing could be further from the truth. Since my son played on his line last season, I can tell you Andrew is a great team player, a great kid with a great attitude and he's liked and respected by his teammates. He competes hard and like all elite offensive players, he has a burning desire to score goals or set them up. But his greatest desire is to win and he proved that last spring by playing in the Dudley Hewitt Cup with a separated shoulder. By all accounts, he was one of the very best players at Canada's WJC evaluation camp in Whistler and there's no doubt in mind he's going to excel at Michigan and I think the Oilers will be thrilled to have him in their organization. I'll be shocked if he's not a big part of Canada's WJC team at Christmas. I think he's a world class talent and many teams will be sorry they let him slip to No. 25, but hey, that's just my opinion.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
BobMckenzie said:
I'll be shocked if he's not a big part of Canada's WJC team at Christmas.

Well, I don't think Bob's ever been wrong before when picking the team, so I hope this isn't the first time. Can't wait to see some Michigan games this year and (hopefully) see him at the World Juniors.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Greg7 said:
I don't know where you are coming up with this, but I read through the thread again and at the time of your first post three people had said they would take Cogliano and two had said they would take Bergfors. What are you complaining about?
Well. I guess i wasn´t just referring to this thread but this whole board basically. Im kind of fed up (yea yea i know, i don´t have to be here).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad