OT: COE Thread - What to do with Northlands

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Heard today that Sask has pulled out of the CFR and that odds are it's sticking around in Edmonton now. Very comical.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
FYI, City Hall, Commonwealth and one of the hockey arenas are having police training today. Some sort of shooter training, so I suspect they'll have guns drawn and such

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
My proposal is the same ones I gave to my brother in law (president of Olympic Stadium).

Massive adult obstacle courses a la American Ninja Warrior:
mj-618_348_the-evil-geniuses-behind-american-ninja-warrior.jpg

Or MTX Extreme Elimination Challenge /Wipeout video game style obstacle course:

Wipeout-run-austin.jpg

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
That's a good idea PerfectDrug. Especially in the Winter months. I'm not sure how well it would be accepted here in Edmonton though. This city may be too conservative to dig that type of thing.

Pourinthecoal

Jul 13, 2009
Looks like the cfr is back at northlands, which is a good thing. Ties in with farm fair, it'll be a blow to the pbr at Rogers.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Looks like the cfr is back at northlands, which is a good thing. Ties in with farm fair, it'll be a blow to the pbr at Rogers.

Are the events at the same time? If not I don't think it does much to hurt anything.

It was funny though as both Edmonton and Saskatoon city council were blindsided by the news last week.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Actually, Edmonton city council did have some indication of this before the news came out. I don't know about Saskatoon council.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Not really, if anything people should be encouraged to no attend the CFR as to not reward bad behaviour.

Any word on whether the CFR people will be sued by Saskatoon, usually when you pull out of something this big this late, it doesn't happen without litigation?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Actually, Edmonton city council did have some indication of this before the news came out. I don't know about Saskatoon council.

From what Iveson said last week sure didn't sound like he knew that talks were still even happening. Seems like he was a little pissed because he thought we were looking at re-purposing Rexall which clearly isn't the plan from Northlands right now.

Wondering if Caterina suggested holding out until another City Council takes over as it's quite clear the current Council wants changes.

Could get quite interesting to be honest.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
From what Iveson said last week sure didn't sound like he knew that talks were still even happening. Seems like he was a little pissed because he thought we were looking at re-purposing Rexall which clearly isn't the plan from Northlands right now.

Wondering if Caterina suggested holding out until another City Council takes over as it's quite clear the current Council wants changes.

Could get quite interesting to be honest.

What you've heard or read in the media isn't entirely true or the whole story. Just saying. A moderator can message me if sourcing is required.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not sure how I just heard about this now, but apparently the new horse track is going to by the Airport.

Just amazing how much is going things are developing south of the Henday

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yellowhead getting 1 billion dollar upgrade. I do wonder how they plan on doing some of this work and why previous City Councils allowed the growth that happened around 149st, which you have to assume is going to cost a pretty penny to buy back the land.

I am also rather curious to see how the City actually runs this. They've been quite a **** show as of late with some of their projects and how they approach them. There are more eyes on the guys making decisions now so that's a good thing.

I just hope this doesn't result in funding be re-directed from the other programs that the City currently has going with roads. We saw this year about 20mil worth of work not come out this year from what most are assuming was because of the arena distract.

The provincial funding won't start to flow until 2023, but the commitment is enough to start design work and land acquisition. Edmonton residents can expect construction to start in a couple years. The whole project is expected to last 10 years.

"This will create 6,000 construction jobs, which we badly need right now," said Mayor Don Iveson.

Keeping with road construction. November 12th 10pm, 127st and Henday being permanently shutdown. Not sure why they didn't just extend the merge lane all the way to 111st to allow people to merge safely. With the news of the Yellowhead I wonder if that will shut down any plans to expand the SW Henday. I know they were looking into it and rumor was it was something that would seriously be looked at once the NE Henday was done, but I'm not sure they'll do it now.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So interesting questioned that was thrown out yesterday. Is there any other singer or band that right now would sell out 9 straight shows in 6 days like Garth is doing here in Edmonton?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So interesting questioned that was thrown out yesterday. Is there any other singer or band that right now would sell out 9 straight shows in 6 days like Garth is doing here in Edmonton?

If Gord Downie was miraculously healed, the Hip could.

I don't know, Country people like their repetitiveness.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Unreal about that guy with the crowbar beating that women after she honked the horn at him.

I just can't understand what was going through his head. I've hear of maybe hitting the vehicle, but to try hit someone in the head multiple times? Just unheard of.

Charge of attempted murder is nice to see too.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Unreal about that guy with the crowbar beating that women after she honked the horn at him.

I just can't understand what was going through his head. I've hear of maybe hitting the vehicle, but to try hit someone in the head multiple times? Just unheard of.

Charge of attempted murder is nice to see too.

Well this came out of nowhere..

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I really like how time is wasted discussing getting rid of our City slogan only to bring it back a few years later. Doesn't City Council have bigger fish to fry?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad