Injury Report: Cody Ceci OUT

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
isn't that the point of vaccines? so no shut downs?

The vaccine is not a cure and ultimate preventative. It allows your body to fight off the virus significantly better. Even the most efficient vaccines cannot stop a virus from entering your body and trying to gain a foothold, it just fights it off before it can affect you.

So in some aspects, yes it could help avoid a shutdown as players would be back on the ice much faster, but its not the real goal.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The vaccine is not a cure and ultimate preventative. It allows your body to fight off the virus significantly better. Even the most efficient vaccines cannot stop a virus from entering your body and trying to gain a foothold, it just fights it off before it can affect you.

So in some aspects, yes it could help avoid a shutdown as players would be back on the ice much faster, but its not the real goal.
so what's the real goal?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ceci out too? Damn, he was a rock back there for us. Lots of adversity for this team, we’ll need some players to step up. Luckily we can on a couple fronts, either outscore our defensive troubles which we’re capable of, or have Skinner bail us out which he’s capable of.

Also, Covid is annoying. Anyone know how long a Covid protocol usually lasts?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Ceci out too? Damn, he was a rock back there for us. Lots of adversity for this team, we’ll need some players to step up. Luckily we can on a couple fronts, either outscore our defensive troubles which we’re capable of, or have Skinner bail us out which he’s capable of.

Also, Covid is annoying. Anyone know how long a Covid protocol usually lasts?

If I was reading it correctly, since he must have had a positive test, I think it lasts until he has two negatives on 24 hours after each other and the first one 24 hours after the positive. If it was a false positive, a couple days. Otherwise at least 24 hours after his first negative test. Could be up to 10 days or so, but I believe most of the ones this year have been shorter than a week.

Of course this is because he's vaccinated, it would be different if he wasn't. This is also assuming he's actually positive, and not just a close contact.

https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2021-22/2021-22COVIDProtocol.pdf

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If I was reading it correctly, since he must have had a positive test, I think it lasts until he has two negatives on 24 hours after each other and the first one 24 hours after the positive. If it was a false positive, a couple days. Otherwise at least 24 hours after his first negative test. Could be up to 10 days or so, but I believe most of the ones this year have been shorter than a week.

Of course this is because he's vaccinated, it would be different if he wasn't. This is also assuming he's actually positive, and not just a close contact.

https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2021-22/2021-22COVIDProtocol.pdf
Awesome thanks. Lost my likes, but like.

Reactions: bone

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Anyone else remember when we had to recall Sebastian Bisaillon from the QMJHL in like 2007 or something? Could be worse lol
Funny, I was talking to a teammate about this on the weekend. Apparently, his parents billeted him for those few games. Would have thought the Oilers would put him up, but was still his claim.

Reactions: Nunymare

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Pierre Lebrun mentioned it on TSN1260 yesterday
LeBrun: The cost of change varies between these markets

Starting around 7:40

He does mention that the League was looking for a way out but was going to honor what the PA wanted, and did say they "really" wanted to go.

I know it's nitpicking but "really" wanting to go to "desperately" is a bit of an exaggeration.

Definition of DESPERATELY

I think with the current circumstances the PA will do what's best for it's members and I would like to believe they won't risk the health of their players is an obviously precarious event as this pandemic.

I guess we'll see where they stand with this soon.

Reactions: RattsSSV

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Starting around 7:40

He does mention that the League was looking for a way out but was going to honor what the PA wanted, and did say they "really" wanted to go.

I know it's nitpicking but "really" wanting to go to "desperately" is a bit of an exaggeration.

Definition of DESPERATELY

I think with the current circumstances the PA will do what's best for it's members and I would like to believe they won't risk the health of their players is an obviously precarious event as this pandemic.

I guess we'll see where they stand with this soon.
than listen to the latest Elliott Friedman "32 Thoughts" podcast

you're arguing semantics but the Olympics participation is player driven, not NHL driven

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

you're arguing semantics but the Olympics participation is player driven, not NHL driven

John Shannon has been saying it too. It sounds like if it were up to the NHL, the players would definitely not be going to Beijing.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton

I'm arguing heresay from a few people that have some connections, but not the majority of what the players really feel about it.
I'm a little skeptical that all Players really want to go considering the risks. That's all. I rather wait until the PA announces it's decision after discussions with their members before confirming anything.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'm arguing heresay from a few people that have some connections, but not the majority of what the players really feel about it.
I'm a little skeptical that all Players really want to go considering the risks. That's all. I rather wait until the PA announces it's decision after discussions with their members before confirming anything.

Players that don't want to go only need to tell their respective association and they won't get selected, so it doesn't need to be a unanimous feeling. Generally speaking I'd suspect there are plenty of players wanting to go to still fill the roster even if it was big portion that didn't want to go.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Players that don't want to go only need to tell their respective association and they won't get selected, so it doesn't need to be a unanimous feeling. Generally speaking I'd suspect there are plenty of players wanting to go to still fill the roster even if it was big portion that didn't want to go.

That's good to know, I don't how the PA manages it but seems a sensible way of doing things.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
That's good to know, I don't how the PA manages it but seems a sensible way of doing things.

I don't think it's anything formal just common sense. Say Team Canada knew that Brad Marchand had no interest in going. Why would they select him if they know he doesn't want to go.

And who would try to coerce him to go. Definitely not his NHL team or the NHL leadership. That's why I suspect even the guys that don't want to go, wouldn't want to vote to prohibit others from going. There's even the added incentive that having it proceed, but not going results in a nice 3 week mid-season vacation.

Last edited:
Reactions: MettleMcOiler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad