Coburn Vs Stuart

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Double O Soul, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Double O Soul

Double O Soul Registered User

Who would you choose for your team, Braydon Coburn or Mark Stuart? Who do you think will have more of an offensive impact? Defensive? Intangibles?

tahnks for any input

2. Kosikarzzz

Kosikarzzz Registered User

Braydon Coburn don't know much about him but he is a big boy!

3. Double O Soul

oh yeah, he is a great big boy and a terrific skater too. Has a great set of tools as well, I remember seeing him in a preseason game this year and he was dominant. Seemed to struggle under Hartley in Atlanta and was only decent in the AHL. Id like to see him be a bit more physical, but Id hate to see Hartley turn him into an Andy Sutton

Mark Stuart is not quite as big and doesnt posess all the natural talent Coburn does, but seems to have his head more squarely on his shoulders. ID love to see a Stuart like mean streak with Coburn

4. dafoomie

dafoomie Registered User

We loved Mark Stuart in Boston last year, did not look out of place. While the Scott Stevens comparison seems very silly, he could be similar to Adam Foote at best.

Coburn probably has a higher ceiling, but at this point Stuart is more of a sure thing. If you need someone this year, take Stuart. If you'd rather wait and get more of a top end prospect, take Coburn.

5. Double O Soul

haha I actually ahve both in an NHL stats based sim league. Im considering trading one of them for a veteran dman.

I really liked what I saw of Stuart in the tail end of last year as well, he was even playing top 4 minutes the last couple games.

thanks for the insight

6. HFNHL Canadiens

HFNHL Canadiens Registered User

student
    I'd rather have Coburn, both will be very efficient shut-down type dmen. Coburn has more intangibles tho IMO, he is a better skater, and has somewhat of an offensive game unlike Mark Stuart who is pure defense. Based on that I would find Coburn a more valuble commodity.

7. DBL

DBL Registered User

Home Page:
    I thought Stuart showed excellent agility, he was surprisingly quick. He was relentless chasing down players in the defensive zone. He was on them like glue. I think he's going to be a very strong defensive defenceman, an amazing PK'er.

For a guy who doesn't have any offensive to his game, he has some solid puck control and passing skill. He's not a liability with the puck.

Two things I noticed about him that weren't so great...his speed, and aggressiveness. He looks to only have average speed and we never saw any of that mean streak we all heard about. It was only 17 games, but I believe we all would like to see a little more toughness from him than what he showed.

8. Thundermare

Thundermare Registered User

While I totally agree with what was said about Stuart I'd still take Coburn, cause I think he'll be as good defensively but in the long run he'll bring more offense to the table

9. The Maltais Falcon

The Maltais Falcon Registered User

I hope everyone picking Coburn knows something I don't. It's too soon to call him a bust, but not too soon to start worrying that he won't come close to realizing his potential. He, along with Ryan Suter and Dion Phaneuf, was considered the cream of the defensive crop at the '03 draft. Three years later, those two have left him in their dust. If Coburn makes the Thrashers' sorry roster out of training camp, it will be because of his potential, not because of his play to date.

10. Thundermare

Most Defencemen takes longer to develop Suter and Phaneuf are exceptional talent.

Look at Niklas Kronwall he was drafted in 2000 and has has just started to make it for real. Yet everybody,(and righfully so) agree that this kid is a Jem.:dunno:

11. Gnashville

Gnashville HFBoards Hall of Famer

Agreed There are several D-men taken after Coburn that have shown far more than he has!!

12. bastone

bastone Registered User

Stuart for me.The few games he played last season he was great and also very mature

13. Russian_fanatic

Russian_fanatic Registered User

The cream of the crop is now Dion, Suter, and Weber :yo: Nashville made out like bandits that draft.

14. dagr81

dagr81 Registered User

student
    I say Stuart short term, but Coburn in the long run

15. Lars

Lars Registered User

None
    Stuart.

16. hockeyfan125

hockeyfan125 Registered User

Coburn is as close to a bust as you can get, he looked god awful in the AHL last year and really hurt his team with poor passes and his penalty taking problem.

He should be a serviceable lower end guy because of his size and natural skill package.. but that is dissapointing considering where he was drafted.

17. nmbr_24

nmbr_24 Registered User

Home Page:
    I'd take Stuart, maybe because I have seen him more and followed his progress since he was drafted. Every scouting report and interview with his coaches has said he is future captain material, a great leader and he has a lot of pride in that role, so when you talk about intangables, I am assuming that is the kind of thing you are talking about.
    building a team is about getting the right pieces for the puzzle, I think Stuart is a big piece of the Bruins future, every team needs guys like that.

18. Pax Macioretty

Pax Macioretty Registered User

Home Page:
    something tells me Coburn is the next Hall Gill........

19. Thundermare

Tough Skating is not a strenght, He's still way more mobile than Hall Gill, who might be faster if he was wearing cement shoes. Though he will never be Dion Phaneuf, he still has all the tools to be an excellent defenceman. Just give him time to devellop... remember how Charra was labelled as a 5th D-men when he first came to the NHL... Now he won't be the next Charra... but sometimes it take a little longer to fully devellop for some Big Guys

20. Fripp

Fripp Registered User

He already is a far better skater with a better head for defense than Gill. Maybe I'm being a homer, but I still have full faith he'll be a fine NHL defenseman.

21. Thundermare

Well I'm a Habs fan and if you lose faith just let Bob know and we'll try to work something out;)