OT: Coach's challenge is ruining the game.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
The hover foot is what really gets my goat, if it is on the line but in the air does that really matter, it should still be onside and the player is still technically behind/on the line.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
the hover foot is what really gets my goat, if it is on the line but in the air does that really matter, it should still be onside and the player is still technically behind/on the line.

100%

disfigured

Mar 29, 2003
Lowell MA
If they're going to keep the challenge they should modify the offsides rule. Get rid of the skate being on the ice. It's obvious this is a call that can't be picked up by the refs with 100% certainty. Even with the closer scrutiny they can't tell from their perspective if the skate or body part is on the ice.

If this continues players will start to turn themselves into curling stones in order to comply. This doesn't make the game any faster or any more exciting, in fact it makes it less so.

The purpose of the rule is to force players to move through the zones incrementally. The fact a skate is 1/2" off the ice is entirely irrelevant to that purpose.

A technology in a sport should not reveal something that is imperceptible to the human eye especially if it has no bearing on the game. I bet if we 3D scanned the sticks and blockers there would be a bunch a millimeter off, and those discrepancies would have more influence on whether a goal is legitimate or not. It could never end how much nitpicking could be done with technology.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I do agree the ticky tack offsides is a mess. I feel a team should have some recourse against something like the Duchene goal happening. I would lose my **** to have something like that stand against the Bruins

Bmf316nhl

But there's no dog
Jul 8, 2007
3 miles south of MA.
For me, there are 3 things that I would tweak when it comes to the coaches challenge:

1) Coaches shouldn't be afforded any amount of time to decide whether or not they want to challenge a play. Seems like after every goal, it takes two minutes for them to drop the damn puck. If you can't tell with your naked eye that a call was wrong, it shouldn't be challenged.

2) Once the play is challenged, refs/linesmen should be given 1 or 2 looks at the play. If you can't tell after a couple looks if your call was wrong, then the call stands and let's move on with our lives.

3) Increase the "penalty" for an incorrect challenge. Right now, a coach simply loses his timeout if a challenge is incorrect. I would be in favor of a delay of game penalty. This would deter the "killing of momentum" during a challenge.

Basically, my point is that challenges should be reserved for the blatant missed calls (the Marchand play at MSG late in the season comes to mind).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad