OT: Coach's challenge is ruining the game.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
It may have been discussed here before, but I absolutely hate the coach's challenge , especially the offside calls, so many goals called back, because a player had his leg in the air or his skate laces were a millimeter offside. This reminds me of the in the crease rule years ago with goals getting called back for the tiniest margin of in the crease. The NHL wants to increase scoring, well start with getting rid of this Coach's challenge, or at the very least let it not be used for offside calls.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
Make it a little more interesting to have coach's challenge. If the challenge is successful, the call on the ice is overruled. If the challenge fails, instead of losing the timeout, the team challenging gets a 2 minute minor for delay of game.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Get rid of the shootout, get rid of that ridiculous over the glass/delay of game penalty and be gone with the coaches reviews of bloody offsides

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I'm with you. I hate the coach's challenge. Most of the successful challenges I've seen executed have overturned goals based on small, nit-picky details that really didn't effect the outcome of the play.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Get rid of the shootout, get rid of that ridiculous over the glass/delay of game penalty and be gone with the coaches reviews of bloody offsides

I'd leave the puck-over-glass in, but leave it up to the refs judgement whether it was intentional or not. This black-and-white stuff is ridiculous.

This coach's challenge has a purpose, like goaltender interference, and pucks hitting the netting above the glass.

But it has no business determining off-sides.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

Agree completely, the shootout is a gimmick that makes hockey look more like soccer, over the glass, unless deemed intentional is causing too many dumb PP chances and the coach's challenge slows the game down and calls get overturned for minor nit picking, imagine the NBA with challenges for travelling, everything would get called back.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
It is terrible.

If somehow a linesman misses a blatant, six feet offsides that is one thing.

Tonight's is yet another example of saving a team's ass on a technicality with zero impact on the play.

Pittsburgh deserved to be down 1-0 after the awful rebound given up and poor coverage. Instead, NBC is praising Sullivan for such a "good challenge" and practically celebrating it.

99.99% of the time, a goal should be a goal.

Leave it up to officials to review a play (high stick, goalie interference, etc).

Not a coach looking for a Hail Mary or stall tactic.

Reviews themselves need to be done in Toronto.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
It is terrible.

If somehow a linesman misses a blatant, six feet offsides that is one thing.

Tonight's is yet another example of saving a team's ass on a technicality with zero impact on the play.

Pittsburgh deserved to be down 1-0 after the awful rebound given up and poor coverage. Instead, NBC is praising Sullivan for such a "good challenge" and practically celebrating it.

99.99% of the time, a goal should be a goal.

Leave it up to officials to review a play (high stick, goalie interference, etc).

Not a coach looking for a Hail Mary or stall tactic.

Reviews themselves need to be done in Toronto.

I think that's exactly why you have to have the rule though. It's obviously being grossly misused by making it an inches kind of thing, but you still need to have it for situations like that...the fact is, even though these reviews are annoying, they're still producing the right call by definition.

I think they need to make it a bit more arbitrary somehow. Something like, if the guy is within a stride of being onsides, it's at the referee's discretion to overturn it or not. At least that way they can stick with their original call if it's close, but overturn it if they missed something egregious accidentally.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Agreed, just when the game starts to get interesting they are looking at a small mistake in the play that takes 10 minutes to sort out and kills all momentum.

The league is looking at increasing scoring but is doing the opposite with the coaches challenge.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
I'd leave the puck-over-glass in, but leave it up to the refs judgement whether it was intentional or not. This black-and-white stuff is ridiculous.

This coach's challenge has a purpose, like goaltender interference, and pucks hitting the netting above the glass.

But it has no business determining off-sides.

Agreed on puck-over-glass. Anyone else recall when one of the Flyers got called for it after shooting the puck into the netting-on the other end of the rink, behind Tim Thomas?

I'm all for reviewing pucks crossing the line, etc., but get rid of the offsides reviews. The flow of the game is being screwed up trying to determine if a skate blade is a couple of centimeters off the ice as the puck enters the zone. A lot of reviews are crapshoot anyways, a way to slow momentum after being scored upon. Perhaps a minor penalty should be the cost, like it is for missing on an illegal stick challenge.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
For decades and at every level linesmen have been going with their gut and many times will think on impulse - close enough. Now what will happen is many borderline calls will be blown dead to prevent a challenge being used.

In any event let Toronto make the call.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Team A scores a goal, Team B challenges for an offside that happened two minutes before team A scores.

That's what I ****ing hate.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
If they are going to have this happen all the time, they need some sort of machine on the blue line so that when a player is offside it blows a robotic whistle immediately, thus cancelling the play right away.

As stated above it is annoying when they go back a couple minutes and completely change the entire dynamics of the game.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
If they are going to have this happen all the time, they need some sort of machine on the blue line so that when a player is offside it blows a robotic whistle immediately, thus cancelling the play right away.

As stated above it is annoying when they go back a couple minutes and completely change the entire dynamics of the game.

I dislike the coach's challenge, and it may just be my perception, but I've got the sense linesmen are now blowing anything close, just in case. I don't know if the networks are under the influence of the league not to show replays, but there are countless offside calls I want to see again, that they never do.

I hate how it slows down the game, and negates goals on a hairline technicality.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Maybe the referees should have a time limit on how long they can ponder a coach's challenge decision. If it takes more than a minute or two to figure it out, then the on ice decision should stand. That way obvious mistakes would still get weeded out, but they wouldn't be hemming and hawing for five minutes some inconsequential offside call.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Agreed on puck-over-glass. Anyone else recall when one of the Flyers got called for it after shooting the puck into the netting-on the other end of the rink, behind Tim Thomas?

Hedman pretty much did that last night, lol. Ended up a 5 on 3 on which the Pens scored their first goal. And this not long after the refs disallowed that goal for Tampa. So that's a two-goal swing right there!

In the Hedman situation, no Pens player was particularly near Hedman, and he had several passing options, standing safely just inside the blue line, so it obviously wasn't because of pressure or good forechecking, just a fluke play. Obviously should've skated it out before dumping it, but really... give them a defensive zone faceoff, maybe an icing-type "no change" deal (despite being on the PK), and be done with it.

Review goalie interference (as consistently as possible) from Toronto, along - perhaps - with the blatant missed offsides calls (problem is you need to define this). Leave the borderline ones that don't really affect the play much at all, those are minor mistakes by the linesmen, just as referees make dozens of minor (or major) missed calls on penalties every game, as well as quick whistles and the like.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
If the technology exists to map a baseball in 3D space and definitively process real time balls/strikes at a speed of up to 100+ MPH, then it exists to mount cameras at the blue lines and up above to map a player's feet in 3D space to process real-time off side at 20 MPH. There is no excuse for the stripes to be huddled around an iPad Mini like they are watching the latest Kardashian sex video. Do it by computer, eliminate the stupid "skate off the ice" technicality (because over half the Tampa player's body was onside last nite, he was just taking a stride fer Christ's sake!), and have Toronto give the word.

/EndStory

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
If the technology exists to map a baseball in 3D space and definitively process real time balls/strikes at a speed of up to 100+ MPH, then it exists to mount cameras at the blue lines and up above to map a player's feet in 3D space to process real-time off side at 20 MPH. There is no excuse for the stripes to be huddled around an iPad Mini like they are watching the latest Kardashian sex video. Do it by computer, eliminate the stupid "skate off the ice" technicality (because over half the Tampa player's body was onside last nite, he was just taking a stride fer Christ's sake!), and have Toronto give the word.

/EndStory

I agree. Do offsides with technology.

Remove linesman and have 2 less bodies on the ice.

More room and no seats have to come out.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

Agree 100%. I doubt they'll get rid of it for offside calls, but I'd like to see the blueline extend to the ceiling for the purpose of offsides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad