Coaching Discussion: Jon Cooper - Part 2

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Any talk about him getting fired?
Fired? We were the underdogs and played a tight series. If it wasn't for the two goals they took away and several empty net goals trying to come back it was a one goal loss on the ice. JBB is the reason for the window closing by signing Sheary, Dehann, Fleury, and trading and extending Jeannot. He let more productive players that cost less walk in Maroon,Perry, and Bogosian. If anyone is getting fired from the staff it is the Blashill and JBB.

Reactions: PJ817

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Glad coop called out the nhl refs.
👗 Bolts coach Jon Cooper went on a near 4-minute rant in today's postgame about goalie interference and his team's two disallowed goals tonight vs Florida:
"This is clearly a turning point in the game... to pull a goal off the board it has to be unbelievably egregious. I couldn't find anything remotely egregious on the first one."
"The next one... I will give [Bobrovsky] credit. He completely quit on the play, then flailed ... he duped them and so be it."
"Is it net-front battles aren't allowed anymore? The boxing out is like prison rules in the playoffs but it's not prison rules for the goalie? We might as well put skirts on them then, if that's how it's gonna be. They have to battle through stuff too ... I think we're letting the goalies off the hook."

More 🏒 News at > www.hookedonhockey.com

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't see any reason to move on from Coop. But the bro time bullshit he's got with Halpern, Zettler and Blashill needs to stop on the bench. They need to go. It is so abundantly clear that as a group they could not patent one new solution and literally just ran the same shit 99% of the year and smiled about it. There is no fresh perspective at all. This reminds me of a coaching equivalent of 2018 when Stamkos and Kucherov would dick around making blind double passes back and forth like their names were Henrik and Daniel and Coop had to split them up. I otherwise saw no urgency on the ice in all 5 games. It was embarrassing. And if Cooper doesn't have a solution to fix it...

Its not 2021. Do something different

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Glad coop called out the nhl refs.
👗 Bolts coach Jon Cooper went on a near 4-minute rant in today's postgame about goalie interference and his team's two disallowed goals tonight vs Florida:
"This is clearly a turning point in the game... to pull a goal off the board it has to be unbelievably egregious. I couldn't find anything remotely egregious on the first one."
"The next one... I will give [Bobrovsky] credit. He completely quit on the play, then flailed ... he duped them and so be it."
"Is it net-front battles aren't allowed anymore? The boxing out is like prison rules in the playoffs but it's not prison rules for the goalie? We might as well put skirts on them then, if that's how it's gonna be. They have to battle through stuff too ... I think we're letting the goalies off the hook."

More 🏒 News at > www.hookedonhockey.com
It's unusual for Coop to put his foot in his mouth, but the skirt comment was that.

I don't see any reason to move on from Coop. But the bro time bullshit he's got with Halpern, Zettler and Blashill needs to stop on the bench. They need to go. It is so abundantly clear that as a group they could not patent one new solution and literally just ran the same shit 99% of the year and smiled about it. There is no fresh perspective at all. This reminds me of a coaching equivalent of 2018 when Stamkos and Kucherov would dick around making blind double passes back and forth like their names were Henrik and Daniel and Coop had to split them up. I otherwise saw no urgency on the ice in all 5 games. It was embarrassing. And if Cooper doesn't have a solution to fix it...

Its not 2021. Do something different
We'll probably lose Halpern at some point to a head coaching job. He interviewed for the Caps last season, IIRC.

Reactions: Antiramie

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It's unusual for Coop to put his foot in his mouth, but the skirt comment was that.

We'll probably lose Halpern at some point to a head coaching job. He interviewed for the Caps last season, IIRC.
Yeah, Halpern is ready as far as I'm concerned. He's probably waiting for the right job. No offense to the Sharks but who wants that job just to get fired in 2 years? Those are what you gotta stay away from

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
What leads you to the conclusion that Halpern is ready?
I'll admit I am assuming but he has been on 2 Cup winning teams, has been interviewed at least a few times. It appears to me that he taken his Lightning tenure as far as he can. I adore Jon Cooper and think he is the finest coach in the NHL. But I want him surrounded with a new point of view and for that reason I am ready by default to let us move on from Halpern.

The logical choice to me is he takes a head coaching job. Going to the CHL or AHL is NOT a step down. Take a *GOOD* job. With rare (recent) exceptions, teams like the PG Cougars, Sarnia Sting and whoever Bridgeport is affiliated with suck every year no matter what. Don't take those jobs. Go to a team who is on the cusp of a title and prove yourself. Make yourself a Sheldon Keefe, Drew Bannister or even Kris Knoblauch if you're not gonna take an NHL job now

I wish Halpern nothing but the best but I am ready for new voices around Cooper

Reactions: Hoek

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Aside from waking up and trading away Vasy, Kucherov, or Hedman, this franchise would make one of the dumbest mistakes by firing Cooper.

Be careful what you wish for. We'd get a revolving door of a coach that's been there done that, but likely hasn't won when it matters. Look around the league for crying out loud. Cooper is a terrific coach. Every one of them has flaws, but he's not the problem. Not now.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'll admit I am assuming but he has been on 2 Cup winning teams, has been interviewed at least a few times. It appears to me that he taken his Lightning tenure as far as he can. I adore Jon Cooper and think he is the finest coach in the NHL. But I want him surrounded with a new point of view and for that reason I am ready by default to let us move on from Halpern.

The logical choice to me is he takes a head coaching job. Going to the CHL or AHL is NOT a step down. Take a *GOOD* job. With rare (recent) exceptions, teams like the PG Cougars, Sarnia Sting and whoever Bridgeport is affiliated with suck every year no matter what. Don't take those jobs. Go to a team who is on the cusp of a title and prove yourself. Make yourself a Sheldon Keefe, Drew Bannister or even Kris Knoblauch if you're not gonna take an NHL job now

I wish Halpern nothing but the best but I am ready for new voices around Cooper
In the US, we used to elect Governors for President. Now it's pretty much all Senators.

The benefit of Senators is that while they don't have the executive experience (and Governor is much more like President than Senator is), there's no history to attack them on. No failed policies or departmental scandals. Just a voting record.

If Halpern is getting interviews, and it seems like he's close, why should he prove himself in another league and risk failure?

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
one of the dumbest mistakes by firing Cooper.
I beat the drum loudly in 2017 and then even louder in 2019 "FIRE COOP" on every social media platform I had

That crow I've been eating for the last few years has been tasty (only because being at the rink for both SCF wins was ah-maz-ing) - firing Coop would be the most asinine thing ever. JBB, though?

I wouldn't mind losing him...

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I beat the drum loudly in 2017 and then even louder in 2019 "FIRE COOP" on every social media platform I had

That crow I've been eating for the last few years has been tasty (only because being at the rink for both SCF wins was ah-maz-ing) - firing Coop would be the most asinine thing ever. JBB, though?

Agreed. I'd rather lose JBB and see what a new GM could do than to lose Coop. He got a lot out of this team with less to work with. I trust him enough to see the game plan wasn't just "pass to 86" even though it seemed like it. He could be better developing or helping young players that weren't his in the AHL, but if that's his flaw, I'll deal with it. He's got flaws, but he's a winner.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
In the US, we used to elect Governors for President. Now it's pretty much all Senators.

The benefit of Senators is that while they don't have the executive experience (and Governor is much more like President than Senator is), there's no history to attack them on. No failed policies or departmental scandals. Just a voting record.

If Halpern is getting interviews, and it seems like he's close, why should he prove himself in another league and risk failure?
He risks failure anywhere he goes if the Lightning don't move on from him. We need to do what's best for the team and I don't think keeping Cooper's old staff around is doing anyone any more favors. We lost a bunch of talent and then said "Let's run something straight out of the dead puck era and let Kucherov do all the scoring" instead using what we still had. People will insist our talent absolutely sucks and I will insist we ran a system destined for failure. I don't see Halpern fixing this unless he wants to go back to the drawing board with Coop

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The law of averages was our undoing. If you spend 10 hours at a stove you're 10x more likely to get burned than the person who spends 1 hour there. Now apply that to our defensive approach. Our collective approach was smart as having prime Derrick Henry in your backfield and Jameis Winston at QB and you CHOOSE run 9 times a game, throw 50 and wonder why we our turnover prone QB makes so many mistakes.

We were the team that ELECTED to defend 2 to 5 times more than any champion in recent memory and then all of 2023. If anyone wants to blame our talent for why we sucked at it then go ahead. You do you. We could afford to do it 2 years ago. Not anymore. I say you're freaking stupid for having Dumba, Perbix and Lilleberg in your lineup and saying "Okay guys! We're gonna play Chinese finger trap for 2 periods" instead of letting the likes of a generational winger and Stamkos and Point at center attack and keep the puck on the other side of the ice. Everyone does what we do and locks it down. But we'd do it for 40 minutes, not 16 minutes like everyone else. Yes it's a talent issue. We aren't talented enough to do this crap for 40 minutes a night. So do something else. Death by structure isn't the only hockey strategy on earth

It's chicken vs the egg. Our coaching staff did not read the room and played our entire season to a weakness. If you ask me the strength of our team, I'd say "Let's find out. We haven't done anything different in 4 years. You can't say what strengths we don't have anymore than what I can say we DO have"

Last edited:
Reactions: flying squirrel

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Well the ball is in Cooper's court more now that he only has one year left. Will be interesting if we extend this offseason or give him the Stamkos treatment too.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well the ball is in Cooper's court more now that he only has one year left. Will be interesting if we extend this offseason or give him the Stamkos treatment too.
Cooper doesnt count against the cap. My guess is the job is his if he wants it, and he will choose his own staff. But he might not want it more than one more year. Hard times are coming. And Coop doesn't like to lose.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021

I wanted Cooper to be fired in 2017 as well. I'll expect the next coach who's team gets swept in the first round after finishing the regular season as the best overall to get fired as well, whether it's our team or not. To me Cooper owns that failure just as much as he gets to own the two cup wins afterward. We had an incredibly talented team - we may have had more than 2 cups under another coach, or less or none, we'll never know. But Cooper couldn't complain about lack of depth that year.

This year however, I put on JBB for not managing the cap better, starting with how he handled the McD trade and many moves after that. He did great with the Hagel trade and contract, and Paul and Eyssimont have been good additions, but it's not nearly enough.

I'm ready for JBB to go. I don't have faith in him to manage the retooling/rebuilding.

Reactions: PJ817

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Cooper doesnt count against the cap. My guess is the job is his if he wants it, and he will choose his own staff. But he might not want it more than one more year. Hard times are coming. And Coop doesn't like to lose.
Yep that’s why he has been signing like short 3 year deals each time

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The law of averages was our undoing. If you spend 10 hours at a stove you're 10x more likely to get burned than the person who spends 1 hour there. Now apply that to our defensive approach. Our collective approach was smart as having prime Derrick Henry in your backfield and Jameis Winston at QB and you CHOOSE run 9 times a game, throw 50 and wonder why we our turnover prone QB makes so many mistakes.

We were the team that ELECTED to defend 2 to 5 times more than any champion in recent memory and then all of 2023. If anyone wants to blame our talent for why we sucked at it then go ahead. You do you. We could afford to do it 2 years ago. Not anymore. I say you're freaking stupid for having Dumba, Perbix and Lilleberg in your lineup and saying "Okay guys! We're gonna play Chinese finger trap for 2 periods" instead of letting the likes of a generational winger and Stamkos and Point at center attack and keep the puck on the other side of the ice. Everyone does what we do and locks it down. But we'd do it for 40 minutes, not 16 minutes like everyone else. Yes it's a talent issue. We aren't talented enough to do this crap for 40 minutes a night. So do something else. Death by structure isn't the only hockey strategy on earth

It's chicken vs the egg. Our coaching staff did not read the room and played our entire season to a weakness. If you ask me the strength of our team, I'd say "Let's find out. We haven't done anything different in 4 years. You can't say what strengths we don't have anymore than what I can say we DO have"
You would love the Toronto Maple Leafs if you gave them a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad