Coach McLellan decisions

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
Todd McLellan has got the Oilers in a playoff position for now(#97,the improvement in the standing is significant(#97)I do however question s few of his calls recently

1) Not putting McDavid in the shootout(has left him out on several occasions)
2) Against SJ he put Lucic on the 3 on 3 which led to a SJ goal ( not that it was all Lucic's fault, should 3on3 be for the speedsters.
3) just the constant line changes( I know when things aren't going to plan you got to mix it up, but at some point a little consistency goes a long ways.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
#1. they had 5 shootouts. twice he wasnt used.
#2. #97 was on ice on that OT (he is accountable for the turnover)
#3. line changes happens to every coach.

if you are picky on specific situations, that means you have a good coach

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
A) As an Oilers fan, I agree that this could go in the already existing thread on HFOil, and b) it appears you are new to watching how veteran NHL coaches do their job?

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
1> McDavid himself has said hes not really good in the SO.
2. Oiler fans quick to blame Lucic...forget that 97 fled the zone when the Oilers didn't even have the puck...both players Kelbom left for dead. Also Nuge, LD Letestu and Eberle all just came off consecutive shifts.

3. too many players in the top 6 have been ineffective...hes looking for some kind of spark. Only consistent players have been 97 and 29...27 and 19 will have a good game once in every 4 games, 14 has had may 5 gooad games this year. 93 is good once every 10 or so games.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
1) Shootouts arent driven by your 5x5 scoring ability. Plenty of lower line players are great at shootouts. Hall was never used much either. Hendricks for example is great in shootouts. Letestu ranks 5th in the league for shootouts (3 for 5)
2) Agree here but one decision and McDavid had the blown coverage
3) Noone has outright grabbed a spot. You earn it. Shuffle lines till then

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
So I don't like to do too much armchair coaching but:

McDavid needs at least one faster than your average bear skater up front with him.

Pouliot did NOT need to keep getting ice time after handing Columbus a goal on a silver platter. Accountability folks.

Hendricks is no longer able to keep up.

All in all, I like our coaching, those are just my useless opinions.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
So I don't like to do too much armchair coaching but:

McDavid needs at least one faster than your average bear skater up front with him.

Pouliot did NOT need to keep getting ice time after handing Columbus a goal on a silver platter. Accountability folks.

Hendricks is no longer able to keep up.

All in all, I like our coaching, those are just my useless opinions.

Hendricks is wearing a knee brace after his injury, which is very difficult for him to get use to.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This thread was put on the mains? Why, did everyone feel the team wasn't being flogged enough by the people on this board?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad