OT: Co-Ed Floor Hockey Tournament next weekend!

Mike999

Colin Greening's BFF
Feb 20, 2007
Ottawa
www.esfclan.net
Hi all,

I see pretty regular posts from people asking about floor hockey around the city, so I thought I would let you know that my employer, The Ottawa Sport & Social Club, is hosting their annual Winter floor hockey tournament next Saturday. I hope this isn't considered spam!

Here are the details if you're interested!

Date: Saturday, March 8th, 2014
Time: 9:00am - 6:00pm
Skill Level: Two divisions - Recreational & Intermediate
Team Price: $255+HST per Team
Individual Registration Price: $40+HST per Individual
Included In Your Registration:
All teams are guaranteed four 30-minute games, with a chance at additional games for those playoff-bound teams.

A great post-game dinner will be provided by The Royal Oak

Champions will receive ice-cold adult beverages and championship t-shirts.

All participants will have the chance to win some great prizes! We'll be drawing for some 200-level Sens tickets as well.

Information can be found at http://ossc.ca/tournaments

If you have questions about it feel free to let me know!

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
As a member of the Kingston Sport and Social Club, can you pass it along to them that floor hockey would be a much more enticing one-day tournament to offer as opposed to volleyball?

Mike999

Colin Greening's BFF
Feb 20, 2007
Ottawa
www.esfclan.net
As a member of the Kingston Sport and Social Club, can you pass it along to them that floor hockey would be a much more enticing one-day tournament to offer as opposed to volleyball?

Awesome! Glad to hear there are people playing in our other clubs!

Consider your request done!

Yeah it's interesting with Kingston and our other clubs around Canada. All of them run out of Ottawa and are magnitudes smaller than Ottawa. The nature of them being smaller means we really have to pick and choose a bit more carefully, as I'm sure you would agree that without at least 8-10 teams (currently have 13 playing in Ottawa so far for next weekend), the tournament kind of loses its lustre a bit. Floor hockey has been attempted a handful of times, and has had a dissapointing result.

That's certainly not to say we won't give it a spin again!

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Awesome! Glad to hear there are people playing in our other clubs!

Consider your request done!

Yeah it's interesting with Kingston and our other clubs around Canada. All of them run out of Ottawa and are magnitudes smaller than Ottawa. The nature of them being smaller means we really have to pick and choose a bit more carefully, as I'm sure you would agree that without at least 8-10 teams (currently have 13 playing in Ottawa so far for next weekend), the tournament kind of loses its lustre a bit. Floor hockey has been attempted a handful of times, and has had a dissapointing result.

That's certainly not to say we won't give it a spin again!

Oh I agree. Either I was totally obviously to the announcement or it was attempted before I started playing with KSSC. How recent have floor hockey tournaments been attempted in Kingston?

Maybe you could have a poll on the chalkboard emails, and gauge interest as to what sports for weekend tournaments would be of interest to people?

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006

Seconded...playing in the parking lot of a senior centre just isn't cutting it anymore :laugh:

Fusbolito

Jan 29, 2012
Do you need to play with those crappy plastic sticks? If not, totally winning some ice cold adult beverages

If the rules are the same as they were the past two years, and in OSSC floor hockey in general, yes. You need to play with plastic sticks with plastic blades. You can bring your OWN plastic stick, but you can't play with wood, aluminium or composite sticks. Goalies can't use the same pads as on-ice, but are allowed to use on-ice blockers and trappers and are expected to bring their own. Goalies must wear helmets, and cannot wear any kind of legwear that would scratch the surface of a gym floor.

Games are 4 on 4 with a goalie and require 2 women to be on the court at any time. If you have a female goalie, one needs to be on the court, and if you don't, you need two women there.

Games in the lower divisions are usually fairly friendly, until you get to the finals. The main problem in the higher divisions is that the OSSC doesn't provide refs, as such, just a scorekeeper, who has a copy of the rules, so you're obligated to call your own fouls/penalties, and teams have very differing opinions on what constitutes a penalty/infraction. Some teams will let anything go so long as noone's hurt, and some teams will immediately request a stoppage when anything happens to anyone for any reason.

I've personally been on both ends of terrible foul calling, so you almost have to try and be as serious as the other team is about the game. If they call everything, you have to start doing the same, and if they call almost nothing, be respectful and don't call the same caliber of things on them.

Overall, it's a fun way to spend a Saturday, but you will be VERY sore afterwards, and this is coming from someone who plays hockey 5-6 times a week. Take advantage of the free student massages if they have them this year, they help a lot, and the coffee and donuts disappear early. Also don't delay on getting to the Royal Oak, they sometimes run out of different meals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad