Speculation: Closing out the Season

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So 3 games left in the season and I am hoping that Knoblauch gives multiple players a rest.
Stecher should play the next 3 games and I would also like to see Broberg (and maybe Kemp) in the last 2 games. Some players need a rest namely Ekholm and Nurse on the back end. Hopefully a rest helps Nurse...he sure needs it. He has been junk for a while now.

At forward maybe bring up Gagner and Lavoie (possibly some other forwards for a look) and rotate out a few of the forwards,
Older players like Perry and Henrich likely need some time to rest (Perry looked tired to me last game) along with players like Draisaitl and Hyman. Draisaitl was a turnover machine the last few games (making mutliple lazy plays) and his skating looked slow. A rest might help him too,

The final score in these games means nothing so hopefully Knoblauch's player usage is sensable.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sit Drai for a bit he is clearly done with caring about the regular season lol

My current pipe dream is that Broberg is going to be able to jump into our top 6 next year, and maybe even take Ceci's spot. So, I would like to to see him as much as possible
Agree about Broberg. He has to be in the top 6 next season.
I am more concerned about Nurse than Ceci though.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
We are anemic and our sophomore goalie is the only thing standing between us and oblivion. McDrai will have to hard carry often but Skinner is the only true hope, if he falters we won’t have the runway left to pivot successfully. He has to win us games. I had more confidence going up against the presidents trophy wings from the 8th seed than I do now.

Having said that, there are lots of depth guys who could answer the bell. I just wouldn’t bet on any of them doing it in isolation. If guys are tired or injured or whining about anything absolutely rest them. Scotty bowman used to say the job of the coach Is to eliminate all of the excuses for losing. Eliminate them. I think the main reason for losing will be no effective shooters in the top 6, so maybe call up Lavoie and get in front of that one. Give Broberg another look. Hope for the best.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Hopefully we get an idea of Connor's status soon.

Him being in the lineup to get 100 assists is the only thing preventing me from rapid fire selling my tickets to this one.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Agree about Broberg. He has to be in the top 6 next season.
I am more concerned about Nurse than Ceci though.
I think its pretty obvious that Broberg is going to play in the top-6, and maybe even top-4 for longer stretches, for all of next season One of Ceci or Kulak will be moved out and Broberg taking their place, which saves on cap space.

Hopefully we get an idea of Connor's status soon.

Him being in the lineup to get 100 assists is the only thing preventing me from rapid fire selling my tickets to this one.

We aren't REALLY going to know anything about McDavid until we see him play next. The team isn't going to let anything out, and you can't trust anything they DO let out at this point in the year anyhow. Hell, the team has a history of lying about his injuries even in the off-season, lol, so there is zero reason to believe them 1 week before the playoffs.

We are anemic and our sophomore goalie is the only thing standing between us and oblivion. McDrai will have to hard carry often but Skinner is the only true hope, if he falters we won’t have the runway left to pivot successfully. He has to win us games. I had more confidence going up against the presidents trophy wings from the 8th seed than I do now.

Having said that, there are lots of depth guys who could answer the bell. I just wouldn’t bet on any of them doing it in isolation. If guys are tired or injured or whining about anything absolutely rest them. Scotty bowman used to say the job of the coach Is to eliminate all of the excuses for losing. Eliminate them. I think the main reason for losing will be no effective shooters in the top 6, so maybe call up Lavoie and get in front of that one. Give Broberg another look. Hope for the best.

You mean bottom-6 right?

Reactions: Duke74

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Sit Drai for a bit he is clearly done with caring about the regular season lol
Is it a lack of caring or a lack of effectiveness? He drove the offence against Vancouver but literally nothing worked. Nobody could finish, including himself. I suspect an injury so yes, I definitely recommend sitting him for the rest of the season. I hope the playoff beast within him awakens, but if he's hampered by an injury, I have my doubts.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
People have been shittting on Henrique but I think he is a smart hockey player. He might not have the speed of a McDavid or McLeod but he makes smart plays , wins draws, kills penalties. Good qualities to have

The problem isn't Henrique, the problem is he doesn't logically fit anywhere.

If we were short a C he would be a really good add. Not short a C though, so it made no sense.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

If we were short a C he would be a really good add. Not short a C though, so it made no sense.

Which is a culmination of a larger issue. We don’t have set lines and we don’t have much for chemistry.

We are going into the playoffs and we still don’t know what we should do. Was a problem last year as well. Not sure when it wasn’t a problem honestly.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Duke74

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
People have been shittting on Henrique but I think he is a smart hockey player. He might not have the speed of a McDavid or McLeod but he makes smart plays , wins draws, kills penalties. Good qualities to have
I've liked him so far but paying a 1st was to much for him and Carrick.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Why are people shutting on Henrique? I mean besides the obvious ones who shit on everyone of course. I think he’s been a great addition so far. Isn’t he up to 5 goals since he joined already?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Why are people shutting on Henrique? I mean besides the obvious ones who shit on everyone of course. I think he’s been a great addition so far. Isn’t he up to 5 goals since he joined already?
100%

I've liked him so far but paying a 1st was to much for him and Carrick.
Agreed but the cash movement caused some difficulties

Fit in good last night

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I think for me Henrique didnt seem like he filled a need for the Oilers in terms of a scoring winger.
I was thinking more of a Toffoli or perhaps a Perron type player.
A shooter.
So I sort of agree with you. I wouldnt say that it made no sense because he was a center...you can never have too many of those. I did however think that there were better fits available in terms of skillsets.

Having said that Henrique seems to have more versatility than I thought he did and I dont just mean positionally. I saw him as a player who could perhaps play in the top 6 very occasionally.
Now after 20 games as an Oiler he looks comfortable on any line...top 6 or not.
Him being a center is a plus as well.

He isnt the pure shooter I wanted. He is a smart player though. He just knows where to go even if it takes him a while to get there.
Ultimately I think that it was a good pickup and I am very curious to see him in the playoffs.
He should be very hungry considering he hasnt been in the playoffs since his rookie season.

Reactions: Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Does anyone have any idea of how many players we can actually call up with the cap space remaining? In an ideal world I'd call up at least three forwards, 2 d men and probably a goalie too. I know all that isn't possible though.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It really needs to be done.
An injury in these 2 remaining games would be tragic.
I think, personally, I would sit ALL of

McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard, Ekholm, Hyman, Nuge, Nurse and Skinner

Then call up Lavoie, Pederson, Grubbe, Broberg, Wanner and Rodrigues.

Reward Pederson and give the kids a look.

Edit: Wanner instead of Kemp, Max has really come along this year, a little taste is a nice reward imo.

Yes I know there's a "limit" to recalls, but those guys are hurt(day to day) now so it's an emergency recall for most of them.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Does anyone have any idea of how many players we can actually call up with the cap space remaining? In an ideal world I'd call up at least three forwards, 2 d men and probably a goalie too. I know all that isn't possible though.
I seem to recall hearing that the cap wouldnt be an issue with callups regardless of how many players they call up.
There may be other restrctions though.
Tough to find info on that.

I think, personally, I would sit ALL of

McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard, Ekholm, Hyman, Nuge, Nurse and Skinner

Then call up Lavoie, Pederson, Grubbe, Broberg, Wanner and Rodrigues.

Reward Pederson and give the kids a look.

Edit: Wanner instead of Kemp, Max has really come along this year, a little taste is a nice reward imo.

Yes I know there's a "limit" to recalls, but those guys are hurt(day to day) now so it's an emergency recall for most of them.
Works for me.
If there are roster restrictions then playing a player short and double shifting some callups might be another consideration.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I seem to recall hearing that the cap wouldnt be an issue with callups regardless of how many players they call up.
There may be other restrctions though.
Tough to find info on that.

Works for me.
If there are roster restrictions then playing a player short and double shifting some callups might be another consideration.
Honestly, they made this team play 5 games in 7 games. They let other teams openly cheat. Just tell the league you're doing this with the roster (because injuries you guys), and then the league can go f*** itself if it has a problem with it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think its pretty obvious that Broberg is going to play in the top-6, and maybe even top-4 for longer stretches, for all of next season One of Ceci or Kulak will be moved out and Broberg taking their place, which saves on cap space.
They will need to shed some salary and elevate an AHL player so Broberg makes the most sense.

Honestly, they made this team play 5 games in 7 games. They let other teams openly cheat. Just tell the league you're doing this with the roster (because injuries you guys), and then the league can go f*** itself if it has a problem with it.
I totally get your frustration around this but some clarity on what they can actually do would be helpful.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad