Prospect Info: Cliff Pu (2016, 69th) – '18-19: Traded to Carolina

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I never said that Nylander showed big growth. I stated that people whining that we didn't pick a defenseman with a first in that draft because of need have more reason to bite their tongue now.

So because those d weren't world beaters, it makes it better we took a winger who was less needed, in the least important position, with a premium asset. Guess so...

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Juolevi and Sergachev both regressing makes taking Nylander that year look much smarter now.

I just don't see Pu's ceiling higher than the 3rd line. He was supposed to take a step up after the all-stars taking all the minutes left his team and he didn't shine.

Sergachev didn't regress. I don't know where this is coming from.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Failing to statistically outperform your season prior = regression, obviously.

Except his PPG in the OHL improved slightly year over year....

The spreadsheet scouts can't even use that as a reason to say he regressed.

I think it is that they expected him to be massively better this season and that didn't happen, so people try and say he regressed.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Except his PPG in the OHL improved slightly year over year....

The spreadsheet scouts can't even use that as a reason to say he regressed.

I think it is that they expected him to be massively better this season and that didn't happen, so people try and say he regressed.

Yeah, should've added "heavily outperform"... point also being how little emphasis some put on the other 98663 aspects of being a defenseman that should count when looking at one's potential. Being a *former* Habs prospect also tends to dent somebody's reputation around these parts

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Failing to statistically outperform your season prior = regression, obviously.

His PPG went up.

But that doesn't even account for the progression he made defensively, which was significant IMO. The eye test showed a much better player at the end of the season, than he was at the start of the year.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Zach@4everASabresFan - Did he win the fight?
Bud Gracey‏ @budgracey - I was at the game. He held his own, got a few good shots in.

Last edited:

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
He has looked great at Camp. He might be ranked #11 in our prospects poll but I would rank him Top 5 to actually make the Sabres and have a productive career.
His speed is the future of the NHL. Actually, the NHL of TODAY.

2018/19 Pu, Mittelstadt, Ghule.... can't wait for this season to end. LOL

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Certainly wasn't overwhelmed by the next level competition at Prospect tourney. What popped for me is his ability to stickhandle in traffic at speed. That translates level-to-level. Kind of muffined some shots, but that can be worked on. Other thing that stood out is great hunt on the backcheck, one of the more defensively responsible Sabre forwards in this outing.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Certainly wasn't overwhelmed by the next level competition at Prospect tourney. What popped for me is his ability to stickhandle in traffic at speed. That translates level-to-level. Kind of muffined some shots, but that can be worked on. Other thing that stood out is great hunt on the backcheck, one of the more defensively responsible Sabre forwards in this outing.

He's such an interesting prospect. I view asplund as clearly above him and Davidson on his heals but this kid just keeps in showing up. For a 3rd rounder it's great to have him in the fold however it plays out.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I hope he can use this to help him early in the OHL season and thus get to the WJC's. And then have a good WJC's to push him down the stretch. Then another deep run in the playoffs... yes please.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Pu has worked himself right up there as one of the top prospects in the organization. I do wonder if there is ultimately room for him in a couple years at Center. Has he played much on the wing?

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I’ve been hard on him up to this point, but he’s proved me wrong in the camp. He’s fast and has hockey smarts. Might have a good player here in a few years.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Pu has worked himself right up there as one of the top prospects in the organization. I do wonder if there is ultimately room for him in a couple years at Center. Has he played much on the wing?

With ROR, Eichel, Mittelstadt, Girgs/Larrson, Asplund all currently ahead of Pu, a season in Rochester on the wing might be in the cards.
At some point a center or 2 should be traded at the right time.

Potential 2018/19??

Mittelstadt - Eichel - Reinhart
Pommer - ROR - Okposo
Nylander - Asplund - Girgs
Fasching - Pu - Bailey

There are going to be some tough decisions to make...
This lineup would mean trading Kane, Larsson, and somehow, Moulson.
Baptiste?

rabi

Feb 27, 2002
Lancaster, NY
Visit site

i wonder if he was hampered by an injury?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
How is signing a piece of paper going to stunt his growth?

Oh...he thinks that signing it means he can't got back to juniors...which is wrong. It has no bearing on anything.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
How is signing a piece of paper going to stunt his growth?

Oh...he thinks that signing it means he can't got back to juniors...which is wrong. It has no bearing on anything.

Right. The Sabres signed Guhle in July 2015. He played Juniors until March 2017.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
He's a 2016 draftee, we have his rights until the 2019 draft regardless of signing.

You sure about that? I've always thought it was two years, and everything I'm finding says that 2016 draftees have to sign before the 2018 draft. We drafted Giorgio Estephan in the 2015 draft and because we didn't sign him he went back into the 2017 draft. He was then undrafted, and now is an invite to Wild rookie camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad