Clayton Stoner or Scott Jackson

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
Anyone know anything about them? Who has a better shot at the NHL?

I don't know anything about Jackson, but Stoner might get his chance this year or next. According to our head of scouting, he was superb in last summer's prospect tournament in Michigan. Then he got injured and missed the Wild's training camp, which kinda pushed him back down the depth chart. He appears to be kind of a late bloomer, so I think he'll make the NHL eventually.

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
I like Scott Jackson a lot. I think he could be a second pairing defenseman in the NHL. He won't put up a lot of points, but he does have a bit of an offensive game. Could see him playing on the second PP unit. Solid in his own end.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
I was just making a joke about his name...

From dictionary.com, in case no one knows what I'm talking about:

ston·er (stō'nər) Pronunciation Key
n.

1. One that stones.
2. Slang
1. One who is habitually intoxicated by alcohol or drugs.
2. One who is a delinquent or failure.

In my knowledge, one that smokes marijuana habitually.

Failed joke... my bad.:)

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
I liked Jackson in his draft year, but his development has stagnated a little since. He plays a good contain defensive game and is tough to beat 1 on 1, and has a reasonable physical side to his game. He can move the puck adequately, but he won't ever be an impact player offensively. His skating is okay, but it hasn't really improved much since his draft year. Before his 18 yo year, I thought he was going to be a candidate to make the WJ team both of the last two seasons, but he hasn't stepped up to become an elite CHL defenseman like I thought he would. Maybe the new challenge of pro hockey will bring out the best in him and he will get back on track. I used to think he was a safe bet to be an NHL defenseman with an upside of a top 4 defensive defenseman, but I am now thinking that a bottom pairing regular who kills penalties and can eat up a few minutes is a more realistic upside.

I haven't seen Stoner since he was in the WHL, but my impression of him when he graduated from junior was as a guy who might have trouble with higher level competition. I am not prepared to speak extensively about him though, since I am not really informed on his progress this year at all. I worried when he was in the WHL that his assertive style of play required that he be one of the best players in his class, and when he reached pro hockey where he would be only average at best, he would struggle to adjust. Not sure though.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
It depends on what you like...Stoner is more of a puck mover from my experience watching him, wheras Jackson is a stay at home guy, who would rather not get himself out of position.

Personally, I think Stoner is a better skater and a better all-around player, but you can never go wrong with a player like Jackson, he's got hockey smarts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad