Class Act...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
I applaud Dion for making the donation.

For all of you that are whinning about the dollar amounts given by whom....who cares?!

A donation is a donation is a donation. It doesn't matter whether it's 10 mil, $2,500 or even a dollar/loony. The fact that he thought enough of the cause to donate ANY amount of money just shows how compassionate he can be to those in need.

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
Aki Fan said:
since I dont make a million dollars a year, it would actually be tough for me financially do so -- but I am happy that I donated a higher percentage of my income

I didnt criticize him for doing so, it was more a jab at everyone making a big deal out of it then it actually is

Crapping on a 19 year old kid for ONLY donating 2500.00 is brutal of you. As you have no idea exactly what his signing bonus was or how it was paid out you have no idea what % of his income he paid. It is easy to say you donated a higher % of your income.... for all we know it was 5 bucks from the 25 a week mommy and daddy give you for allowance.
Your posts have been some of the least classy I have ever seen on this board. People like you just make me shake my head. Oh and maybe you should sack up and go sign up for the army before you start making negative comments about a guy like Tillman. I don't care what his job was. Anyone who quit their job to join the army in a time of war is a hero and I think that was part of the attraction the media has for him. He didn't have to go he chose to go.

Last edited:

Belarus Rocket

Mar 5, 2003
Sherbrooke
Visit site
Well at least he gave something,IMO I really don't care how much he gave,the important part Is he gave Is own money to help people In Asia and for me It's really the only thing that matter

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Aki Fan said:
exactly - if someone makes 1 million dollars a year and donates 2500 bucks and if someone makes 50000 dollars and donates the same -- which is a bigger sacrifice made? Simple math. 2500 bucks is couch change to a pro athlete and is not a newsworthy story.

But when a pro athlete and especially when the flavor of the month does something it is ground breaking news.

Sure, if a pro athlete donates $2500 it isn't groundbreaking.

Dion Phaneuf isn't a pro athlete. He's a 19 year old junior hockey player who matched a donation made by another generous person.

Sure, he's been signed. Probably got a pretty decent signing bonus as well.

The fact of the matter remains, how many 19 year olds are you aware of that have donated time, money, supplies...any effort, to the relief of others struck by the tragedy, without being first persuaded to do so one way or another?

It is that maturity, kindness, and selflessness in Dion Phaneuf, a 19 year old boy, that is what makes the story.

(And as for the 'flavour of the month'...he's been the 'flavour of the month' on HF for damn near two years now.)

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Oilers Chick said:
I applaud Dion for making the donation.

For all of you that are whinning about the dollar amounts given by whom....who cares?!

A donation is a donation is a donation. It doesn't matter whether it's 10 mil, $2,500 or even a dollar/loony. The fact that he thought enough of the cause to donate ANY amount of money just shows how compassionate he can be to those in need.

How dare you? The big book of Aki's rear end states it plainly:

Thou shall give at least 1% of thy yearly income, or a shower of ineptitudes shall be throw upon you on internet fora by my disciples!

There's no way around it, Phaneuf is the most selfish, self-serving individual I've ever met!

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Aki Fan said:
now in comparison to say someone making 50,000 per year, all they would have to donate is 125 bucks. How many people have done that and gotten recognized?

It's pretty simple. He's a public figure. He's not getting recognized for the amount he gave but rather because he gave something and is a role model, someone interesting to, say, hockey fans.

I'm (sincerely) happy that you gave something, whatever that is. It's a higher percentage? Well, good for you if that means something to you. But here's the scoop. Nobody (in the public) gives a flying **** about you. This is why you and I will not make any front page tomorrow. The flip side to this is, if you or I punch someone in the nose tomorrow, we probably won't make the news either. Phaneuf will.

It's really quite simple. This is one of those cases where you can actually use your celebrity for a good thing. And I particularly like the gesture coming from such a young athlete who has yet to be firmly established. It's not about how much Phaneuf's wallet "bled". It's just about the gesture, what it stands for and that hopefully, it gave a few people an incentive to give, or do their part.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Aki Fan said:
exactly - if someone makes 1 million dollars a year and donates 2500 bucks and if someone makes 50000 dollars and donates the same -- which is a bigger sacrifice made? Simple math. 2500 bucks is couch change to a pro athlete and is not a newsworthy story.

But when a pro athlete and especially when the flavor of the month does something it is ground breaking news.

And yes I used math and percentages - a simple idea of numbers will substantiate what I am referring to.

Again I state - great he donated something, better than nothing (somehow that keeps getting lost over "someone is criticizing Dion blah blah blah), but to me this story as almost as overblown as the Pat Tillman = Hero (yes his was b/c he defended his country) more than the janitor/teacher/high school grad that died also but didnt give up millions of dollars to defend his country, so they are lesser heros.

NOTE: Not criticizing Dion or Pat Tillman -- criticizing the media and newsreaders for making it a story.

1. I won't even touch the whole Pat Tillman thing. Case in point: How many other players in any of the four sports left a big contract - or any contract - to join the military. Answer: 0. Noone is devaluing other losses, but obviously public people get public attention. Great person who was a public figure.

2. Thanks for the simple math lesson those percentages always gave me trouble ;)

3. He's gotten some attention for giving a nice donation. Cool. It's not bankrupting him and he's not a Saint - everyone realizes that, but it's still a nice gesture. It's not front page news we're talking about here.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
A wonderful gesture from a thoughtful, young athlete whose solid character obviously extends beyond his onice leadership. Good for you Dion.

And a hearty 'get a life' to those of you small people finding fault or skepticism in this caring act of kindness.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Vinland said:
Your posts have been some of the least classy I have ever seen on this board. People like you just make me shake my head. Oh and maybe you should sack up and go sign up for the army before you start making negative comments about a guy like Tillman. I don't care what his job was. Anyone who quit their job to join the army in a time of war is a hero and I think that was part of the attraction the media has for him. He didn't have to go he chose to go.

Reading was apparently not part of your schooling -- go back and read the part where I capitalized NOTE -

No one has to go -- the draft was disbanded awhile ago

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Aaron Vickers said:
Sure, if a pro athlete donates $2500 it isn't groundbreaking.

Dion Phaneuf isn't a pro athlete. He's a 19 year old junior hockey player who matched a donation made by another generous person.

Sure, he's been signed. Probably got a pretty decent signing bonus as well.

(And as for the 'flavour of the month'...he's been the 'flavour of the month' on HF for damn near two years now.)

If he got a signing bonus or has been paid any amount of $$$ to play hockey = professional

The FOM comment is just because of the more attention he has gotten b/c of the attention that the WJT brought him in more than just CHL fans eyes

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
jtuzzi21 said:
It's pathetic that any of you would bash him for this...

Same school as Vinland? Again I state - read my post where I wrote NOTE in capital letters

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Barnaby said:
1. I won't even touch the whole Pat Tillman thing. Case in point: How many other players in any of the four sports left a big contract - or any contract - to join the military. Answer: 0. Noone is devaluing other losses, but obviously public people get public attention. Great person who was a public figure.

Was never digging on Tillman or Dion -- the fact that the media focuses on stories like these, whilst ignoring others because the people are no ones in society's eyes is my point. There are thousands and thousands of people that did the same things as PT and DF but never got any recognition for it because people for some reason dont want to read that Joe Average gave such and such money and John Doe the school janitor died in Iraq, which is pathetic and sad from a society viewpoint (and when people get bent out of shape that some is ripping on the 3rd coming of Christ -- we know that Crosby or Ovechkin is the 2nd depending on your POV ;) -- and not actually reading what I said is a perfect case in point) that things only matter when someone of recoginition does something.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Vlad The Impaler said:
It's pretty simple. He's a public figure. He's not getting recognized for the amount he gave but rather because he gave something and is a role model, someone interesting to, say, hockey fans.

Finally someone understands what I was saying - not suprised it was you at all -- rather than the Dion Phaneuf fan club that apparently has a vast array of reading problems.

I agree -- no one cares what I do good or bad -- so be it. No complaints, there - just knocking society for being so shallow and vain that it needs star power to motivate and that it bows to such simplicity.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Aki Fan said:
If he got a signing bonus or has been paid any amount of $$$ to play hockey = professional

The FOM comment is just because of the more attention he has gotten b/c of the attention that the WJT brought him in more than just CHL fans eyes

CHLers get paid a weekly allowance, does that make all CHLers pro hockey players?

Phaneuf has not been paid anything by the Calgary Flames to play hockey. He was paid for signing an intent to play hockey for them. There's a difference.

He has not received a cheque, aside from his WHL salary(which is minimal), for playing hockey.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
Aki, your logic is flawed when you bring the Tillman comparison in. I can see where you are going with it, being that hes famous, therefore he got more coverage, but really, his story, from your argument, should be the one that is celebrated. You bring up % given, and not necessarily the actual amount given as the judgement level of committment, or generousity. Well, didnt Tillman stand to lose the most? How many janitors were walking away from million dollar contracts to clean out the crapper? Tillman didnt get press because he was famous, he got press because he gave over more than the average person to serve his country. He lost his life, much like many others, but at the point in his life, FINANCIALLY and SECURITY wise, he had much more to lose than anyone else. His % of loss was greater than Joe plummer.
As far as bringing in Dion, and judging him against yourself by saying you gave a higher percentage, well, arent you just looking for the glory then? I always find it humourous when people attempt to judge celebrities by using themselves as measuring stick of success. Good for you that you gave, I am glad you had the heart to do so, but if you didnt need to hear about Dion giving, we sure as heck dont need to hear about your generousity either.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Aaron Vickers said:
CHLers get paid a weekly allowance, does that make all CHLers pro hockey players?

Yes -- see NCAA rules on admitting CHL players, minimum one year sitting out period, sometimes two - as a penalty of their non-amateur status.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
I.M. Fletcher said:
Aki, your logic is flawed when you bring the Tillman comparison in. I can see where you are going with it, being that hes famous, therefore he got more coverage, but really, his story, from your argument, should be the one that is celebrated. You bring up % given, and not necessarily the actual amount given as the judgement level of committment, or generousity. Well, didnt Tillman stand to lose the most? How many janitors were walking away from million dollar contracts to clean out the crapper? Tillman didnt get press because he was famous, he got press because he gave over more than the average person to serve his country. He lost his life, much like many others, but at the point in his life, FINANCIALLY and SECURITY wise, he had much more to lose than anyone else. His % of loss was greater than Joe plummer.
As far as bringing in Dion, and judging him against yourself by saying you gave a higher percentage, well, arent you just looking for the glory then? I always find it humourous when people attempt to judge celebrities by using themselves as measuring stick of success. Good for you that you gave, I am glad you had the heart to do so, but if you didnt need to hear about Dion giving, we sure as heck dont need to hear about your generousity either.

Yeah -- didnt mean to bring Tillman into as a financial issue -- just the idea that if you are "so and so" you are more important than Joe Nobody

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
Aki Fan said:
Yes -- see NCAA rules on admitting CHL players, minimum one year sitting out period, sometimes two - as a penalty of their non-amateur status.

Lol NCAA admin decisions don't always add up to what is right or true.
Again you make me shake my head with your bizzare attack on this kid. Call your local paper if you want the pat on the back for donating that you so blatantly seem to want. Phaneuf giving money will likely encourage others to do the same. You donating will not. You hacking on Phaneuf makes me think you a small bitter person.
This is my last post on the subject because you are so bitter and sad it won't matter what others say to you.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
jtuzzi21 said:
It's pathetic that any of you would bash him for this...

:dunno: I did point out that I was Jaded, my name says as much. And I did give him credit, right up front. I merely did a little sidenote that pointed out as well that it was pretty cheap good press and that I am sure that many hoceky players did as much and more with no fanfare. As one said before, neither devil or saint, just a good act with a small bit of self interest. I remain before and now as seeing it as a positive act though.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Aki Fan said:
The Maltais Falcon said:
Maybe Dion donates hefty percentages of his signing bonus to other causes? Or maybe he donated more to tsunami victims than this one check? It's pretty cynical of you to assume this is the only charitable donation this young man has made of any type.
I would make the assumption, and assumption it may be, that the story would reference other ones themselves or if he preferred anonymity this story wouldnt come out either.
What a ridiculous assumption. Do you really think that every article written about a celebrity and a charitable contribution he's made is going to reference every other contribution that celebrity's made?

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Aki Fan said:
I would make the assumption, and assumption it may be, that the story would reference other ones themselves or if he preferred anonymity this story wouldnt come out either.

Pardon?

It was, by all accounts, an impromptu gesture. There was no press conference. No cameras, no reporters. Phaneuf made no public statement. It wasn't even mentioned in the hometown paper, let alone made a wire service report.

It was witnessed by a few people and it was passed on to the WHL Media Relations department, with a small blurb making the webpage.

Does that sound like Phaneuf is a publicity hound to you?

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Some people seem to need to cut down others to feel better. This is a simply story. The kid made a generous gift. Good for him. The league wants to publicize it as it makes everyone involved look good. Good for them. End of story.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Bicycle Repairman said:
Pardon?

It was, by all accounts, an impromptu gesture. There was no press conference. No cameras, no reporters. Phaneuf made no public statement. It wasn't even mentioned in the hometown paper, let alone made a wire service report.

It was witnessed by a few people and it was passed on to the WHL Media Relations department, with a small blurb making the webpage.

Does that sound like Phaneuf is a publicity hound to you?

ahhhhhhh -- people need to read stuff more closely -- never did I criticize the player and even made note to make a little more obvious that I wasnt but other's failure to read is not my worry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad