Speculation: Clarkson to be traded for cap space relief

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
This just means that they can clear his cap space prior to pre-season or opening day. They need it asap to re-sign the big names. Who or which picks will go with it, I wonder, and why TF does HE have a NMC when he doesn't play and is essentially a salary hot-potato?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Ottawa already said they want cap so this has them written all over it. Other teams also.

5.25M cap hit and he only needs a small fraction of it to actually be paid by the team.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Sens fan coming here in peace to ask what kind of assets you guys think GMGM will tack on to Clarkson to move him.

That NTC could be a stumbling block for any move to Ottawa though. I know Clarkson would never have to step foot in the city to collect his LTIRetirement money, but if the move will affect the total payout because of tax reasons I could see him turning it down.

There's also no ways the Sens pay his signing bonus, so this wouldn't be a draft day deal. Would likely come (shortly) after July 1st, if at all.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Sens fan coming here in peace to ask what kind of assets you guys think GMGM will tack on to Clarkson to move him.

That NTC could be a stumbling block for any move to Ottawa though. I know Clarkson would never have to step foot in the city to collect his LTIRetirement money, but if the move will affect the total payout because of tax reasons I could see him turning it down.

There's also no ways the Sens pay his signing bonus, so this wouldn't be a draft day deal. Would likely come (shortly) after July 1st, if at all.

Hopefully asking him for his NTC list or to waive would just be a formality. VGK & Ottawa could just swap first rounders + an Ottawa 2020 2nd. Perhaps in July Vegas sends Clarkson with Ottawa's 2nd back to them for a 7th to make it a proper hockey trade.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hawks 2020 3rd +Conditional 4th in 2021 (Vegas gets Hawks 4th if Hawks make playoffs) for Haula+ Clarkson , Thoughts?

Hawks are looking for top 9 C and can take the final year of Clarkson deal with no issue given cap room we have and put him on LTIR at start of year

Last edited:

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
So, Eakin + Clarkson for Chicago's 2020 3rd and 2021 4th (cond.)? I think that 2020 pick would need to be a 2nd for Eakin.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Meant Haula

And giving up an 2nd for Eakin while taking on Clarkson contract is not good trade for Hawks

For Eakin + Clarkson the Hawks 2020 3rd straight up should good enough IMO

I could be open to this Haula + Clarkson + #141 for Hawks 2020 or 2021 2nd

Last edited:

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Meant Haula

And giving up an 2nd for Eakin while taking on Clarkson contract is not good trade for Hawks

For Eakin + Clarkson the Hawks 2020 3rd straight up should good enough IMO
At best. Last year the Jets moved goalie Steve Mason's contract to Montreal along with Joel Armia and a 4th and 7th round picks and in return all they got was a minor league D-man who retired. If you want to move a contract you can't except much if anything in return.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Maybe they're holding off on a Miller trade until July. Leafs have to ship out Zaitsev if they want him. Should be an interesting draft, that's for sure.

They could also need cap space if they're taking a player and flipping him in a 3 way trade.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
At best. Last year the Jets moved goalie Steve Mason's contract to Montreal along with Joel Armia and a 4th and 7th round picks and in return all they got was a minor league D-man who retired. If you want to move a contract you can't except much if anything in return.

Clarkson is insured and on LTIR. Mason was not. If Vegas had to give up a 4th and 7th for Clarkson and then get picks in a trade for Eakin they still are fine.

Even if we have to attach some 5ths to get rid of Holden and Reaves, which we shouldn't have to with Reaves, they are still fine. Miller has good value and Vegas has extra picks this year.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It's just easier to move one of the bigger contracts, isn't it?

Draft day -> trade Clarkson plus a sweetener (2nd or 3rd plus a prospect) at the draft. They don't move from 17OA.
Re-sign RFAs (Karlsson, Gusev etc) & pending UFA Engelland (trade Subban if more than 10m is needed for Gusev & Karlsson)
July-August -> trade Miller & Marchessault for the best possible return & get a RHD on an ELC
Training Camp -> Holden moved, Dansk is the backup

Keep: Haula, Eakin and Reaves

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Draft day -> trade Clarkson plus a sweetener (2nd or 3rd plus a prospect) at the draft. They don't move from 17OA.
Re-sign RFAs (Karlsson, Gusev etc) & pending UFA Engelland (trade Subban if more than 10m is needed for Gusev & Karlsson)
July-August -> trade Miller & Marchessault for the best possible return & get a RHD on an ELC

All three of those keeps will be UFA next season so it isn't the best management of assets.

I would say no to a Marchessault trade unless something big was offered.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky

I feel that $10M may not be enough for Gusev+Karlsson. I'm thinking Goose signs somewhere in the neighborhood of 3x4.25AAV, with Bill coming in around 7x6.5AAV. It's a gut feeling, I could be way off.
The rest, I like. solid roster tweaking. I think Holden becomes a throw-in on either one of the cap dump moves.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
All three of those keeps will be UFA next season so it isn't the best management of assets.

I would say no to a Marchessault trade unless something big was offered.

Eakin and Haula can be own rentals and maybe one or all of them will re-sign for a discount.

I feel that $10M may not be enough for Gusev+Karlsson. I'm thinking Goose signs somewhere in the neighborhood of 3x4.25AAV, with Bill coming in around 7x6.5AAV. It's a gut feeling, I could be way off.
The rest, I like. solid roster tweaking. I think Holden becomes a throw-in on either one of the cap dump moves.

Yeah I wonder what Gusev might want, especially if the goal is to get 2+ years out of him. I don't think he does 3 years though. He can make some serious money if he's the real deal (not that real deal).

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Eakin and Haula can be own rentals and maybe one or all of them will re-sign for a discount.

Yeah I wonder what Gusev might want, especially if the goal is to get 2+ years out of him. I don't think he does 3 years though. He can make some serious money if he's the real deal (not that real deal).

I'm thinking 2 year, 4.25 aav for Gusev and 7-8 year, 6.25-6.5 aav for Karlsson.

If Gusev demands 1 year then 3.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Clarkson with Nashville's 3rd + Winnipeg's 3rd for a 7th?
Marchy for a 2020 1st (lottery protected), a RHD on an ELC and a small add?
Miller for a late 2019 1st(or similar value)? Maybe more...Braun got 41st overall plus a 3rd.

I think these are the deals they should be shooting for.

I'm thinking 2 year, 4.25 aav for Gusev and 7-8 year, 6.25-6.5 aav for Karlsson.

If Gusev demands 1 year then 3.

Almost Shipachyov money? 4 million has never been done for an RFA player that's never been in North America. Dadonov was a good prospect with Florida, so he could use that as leverage. Ship was a UFA and VGK had money to spare. I'd only give Gusev 4 if Karlsson could be had for 6m.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Clarkson with Nashville's 3rd + Winnipeg's 3rd for a 7th?
Marchy for a 2020 1st (lottery protected), a RHD on an ELC and a small add?
Miller for a late 2019 1st(or similar value)? Maybe more...Braun got 41st overall plus a 3rd.

I think these are the deals they should be shooting for.

Almost Shipachyov money? 4 million has never been done for an RFA player that's never been in North America. Dadonov was a good prospect with Florida, so he could use that as leverage. Ship was a UFA and VGK had money to spare. I'd only give Gusev 4 if Karlsson could be had for 6m.

I think they promised him something to get him to come over to not have to take an ELC that would get him to UFA. Maybe they didn't promise him 4 for 2 years but I'm thinking it's very close to that in order to get an extra year of him cost controlled, if he can play up to his capabilities.

Also wondering if Hayes drives up Karlsson's price up to 6.75-7 for 7-8 years.

Reactions: GKG18

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Agree about Goose. I think his starting point is Shippy money. If VGK sees him as a top 6 winger, they will offer him accordingly. If he's seen as a 3rd liner, why burn his ELC?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Is Eakin for Puljujarvi something that would interest the Knights?

If we could get a 2nd or 3rd for Eakin then I think we could try Puljujarvi, who is in that 21-24 range we have less and may become a decent third or fourth liner, unlikely but possibly a second liner. Would probably only cost ELC money for a few years and could start out in the AHL or on the fourth line with Carrier.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Is Eakin for Puljujarvi something that would interest the Knights?

If we could get a 2nd or 3rd for Eakin then I think we could try Puljujarvi, who is in that 21-24 range we have less and may become a decent third or fourth liner, unlikely but possibly a second liner. Would probably only cost ELC money for a few years and could start out in the AHL or on the fourth line with Carrier.

He'd have to pass waivers to go to the AHL. Someone would definitely claim him if they tried to do that.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
He'd have to pass waivers to go to the AHL. Someone would definitely claim him if they tried to do that.

I mean, he could still be a cheaper, higher ceiling alternative to Reaves on that fourth line or an extra forward or maybe a third liner if there is an injury.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Hopefully the Knights don't have to attach anyone super important to the team to get rid of Clarkson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad