Clarkson placed on long-term IR

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
So, it was as serious as first reported. That's unfortunate. I hope he still hasn't a decent quality of life while getting better.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Edit: Whoops! Misunderstood the whole point of the Wennberg-Dubois paper move. It's to inflate the cap so they can activate the LTIR benefit.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I thought this wasn't going to happen though. That is what the fans of all the other teams said. Like others have said, I hope he is able to get better and do everything else he needs to. Back injuries are no fun.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
While I definitely feel for Clarkson, and hope its not a debilitating injury that will plague him for the rest of his life, I'd be lying if I didn't say this was the best possible scenario for the CBJ in regards to cap situation/roster makeup.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Absolute shame. I really wish I could get him to work with some of the trainers I know.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Not a way you necessarily want to get out of a contract. It has to me more serious then a basic herniated disc, which the surgery for is relatively straight forward (no reconstruction), assuming he probably would need a fusion. Either way, i know a great surgeon if you need one Dave.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Feel for him. It seems crazily similar to what Horton ended up with, which is bizarre in a coincidence king of way. Hope he is able to have decent quality of life off the ice going forward.

Moving from Clarkson the person to Clarkson the contract - I know JD made a point of saying that the contract was insured. Did Porty or someone ever confirm that the insurance covered his signing bonuses (which is the bulk of the money owed to him)?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170214/blue-jackets--david-clarkson-staring-at-harsh-reality

There are days, David Clarkson said, where he plays with his three young kids or skates with a local high school team, and his back gives him a glimmer of hope that an NHL comeback is possible.

But then there are days — like the one just three weeks ago — when the 32-year-old feels so far away from pulling a Blue Jackets jersey over his head.

"I literally couldn't get out of bed," Clarkson said. "I couldn't move. My wife had to call the docs and I laid there and waited for the muscle relaxers to kick in before I could start the day."

Clarkson came to the Blue Jackets in a 2015 trade deadline deal that sent Nathan Horton to the Toronto Maple Leafs. Now both players are likely finished with their careers because of the same ailment: degeneration of the lower spine. Clarkson played through a stiff back for years, both with the Devils and Leafs.

This is such a sad story. Feels like an exact replica of Nathan Horton's situation. I hope he gets well.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170214/blue-jackets--david-clarkson-staring-at-harsh-reality

This is such a sad story. Feels like an exact replica of Nathan Horton's situation. I hope he gets well.
Pretty crappy. I wish him all the best. He seems(is) a good guy. Didn't he get involved with the community soon after he was traded to Columbus? I wonder who the 4 guys who came over were(Foligno and ?). Also hats off to the organization for still reaching out to him and his wife.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Most Devils fans have a soft spot for him.

He was a boob, but he was our boob.

He was also always a super class act. Very very sad how his career turned out.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
...I feel really good that SO many players say the same thing about the city of Columbus and the team in general

Whether he plays again or not, the Clarksons plan to call Columbus home, he said. That's partly because of the city, but also the Blue Jackets organization.

"There's not a better organization in the world to be a part of," Clarkson said. "From Mr. (John) Davidson and all of them, they've been so kind to me and my family. If they phoned me and asked me for anything, they've got it."

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Just a few years ago he was on top of the world and now... oh wait he is a millionaire who is getting paid until 2020 and never has to work again.

RQQa_f-maxage-0.gif

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
That's really good he will be at UA. It keeps him in my former community and around hockey and it's good for the kids who will get good coaching from someone who sounds like a good guy.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Just a few years ago he was on top of the world and now... oh wait he is a millionaire who is getting paid until 2020 and never has to work again.

RQQa_f-maxage-0.gif

Easy to say if you don't have a chronic back issue that sometime prevents you from even getting out of bed.

I'm just glad he'll be able to continue having a quality of like to be able to do things like this. When Nathan Horton had his similar issue pop up you really had to feel for him when it was a struggle just to be able to play with his kids.

I've not met David Clarkson but he seems like a high quality guy who will be great for the hockey community here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad