Rumor: Clarkson, 1st going to Vegas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Yikes. Hope not; a Hartnell buyout would be very very ugly.

SEASON|SALARY|INITIAL CAP HIT|ACTUAL COST|SAVINGS|BUYOUT CAP HIT
2017-18|$4,500,000|$4,750,000|$1,250,000|$3,250,000|$1,500,000
2018-19|$3,000,000|$4,750,000|$1,250,000|$1,750,000|$3,000,000
2019-20|$0|$0|$1,250,000|-$1,250,000|$1,250,000
2020-21|$0|$0|$1,250,000|-$1,250,000|$1,250,000

I'm not sure what is very ugly about this. Looks pretty normal.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Someone remind me why we buyout Hartnell if we're trading Clarkson and having the XD selection as part of the trade?

Hartnell could be bought out just to avoid losing Anderson who in my mind would be a no-brainer pick for Vegas (having played around with the ED tool over @ Capfriendly, i think Vegas will have a few center options like Janrkrok, Lindberg, Lehtera just to name a few.. already signed Shipachev.. on the other hand picking a guy like Anderson would fill a lot of their needs), and to free some cap space in the next couple of years to boot. That 1.25M penalty in 19-20/20-21 isn't going to be that big of a deal assuming the cap goes up at least that much (assumption is Vegas joining the league brings more money and lifts the cap up by that time).

I suspect that the Jackets then protect
Saad/Dubinsky/Foligno/Atkinson/Jenner/Wennberg/Anderson
Jones/Savard/Murray
Bob

This leaves Karlsson and Johnson exposed.

Now i honestly don't think McPhee has that much interest in Johnson. Drafting guys with 1 years left in their contracts isn't ideal especially when you know Johnson wants to play for Columbus, and you'd only pick him to flip him somewhere else. Teams aren't going to pay the moon for guys like that, even if JJ is a good player. Given the option, i think McPhee would just rather pick Karlsson. Meets all the requirements for players that an expansion team would want - young, under contract and RFA afterwards, has shown he can play in the NHL, should be excited for the opportunity to play a bigger role than he has so far etc. But even if McPhee wanted to pick Johnson just for the purpose of flipping him somewhere else, this can of course be worked out.

So.. if we assume all i've said so far is accurate, and Kekalainen doesn't want to lose Karlsson, he would have to pay McPhee about the same value he thinks Karlsson is worth, or what Johnson would get them in a trade.

Jarmo has obviously gone through all kinds of scenarios in his head for the future, and thinks Clarkson's contract might become a problem sooner or later if he wants to spend to the cap every year (perhaps he has a player targeted already who he wants to pursue). Sending guys to the minors to get them under the cap for season start only works if you have enough guys like that making money. Last time it was Wennberg, he's not going to be eligible for that anymore.

Maybe he's thinking he can kill two birds with one stone, pay McPhee to take Clarkson and not to draft either Karlsson or Johnson.

1st + prospect (Milano?) + Harrington (ED pick?) seems like the kind of price to pay that makes sense for both sides. At the end of the day, Clarkson isn't going to be the traditional bad contract for Vegas considering his situation, so the price for that alone shouldn't be as high as it is for say, player like Gaborik (unless im missing out something with the bonuses).

Buut im just speculating trying to figure this out.

Last edited:

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Yikes. Hope not; a Hartnell buyout would be very very ugly.

2017-18|$4,500,000|$4,750,000|$1,250,000|$3,250,000|$1,500,000
2018-19|$3,000,000|$4,750,000|$1,250,000|$1,750,000|$3,000,000
2019-20|$0|$0|$1,250,000|-$1,250,000|$1,250,000
2020-21|$0|$0|$1,250,000|-$1,250,000|$1,250,000

Recall that 2018-2019 is the year that Atkinson, Jenner, Calvert, Karlsson, Bjorkstrand, JJ, Murray, and Nutivaara are all up for new contracts.

I find the idea of buying Hartnell out next year to be interesting. If we do a deal for Clarkson to get through this season and need to open cap next year:

2018-19|$3,000,000|$4,750,000|$1,000,000|$2,00,000|$2,750,000
2019-20|$0|$0|$1,000,000|-$1,000,000|$1,000,000

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I think that Jarmo wants to make a splash. Youth, speed and offense wins now.

Trading Clarkson, 2017 1st and Milano for a 2017 second + future considerations (selecting Jack Johnson in the ED). You net $9,607,143 in cap space.

Buyout Hartnell, you net $3,500,000 in cap space. So you are up to $13,107,143 in available cap space. Add in the current available cap space of $2,037,025 for a grand total of $15,144,168.

This scenario makes this team younger and there is more than enough cap space to sign Anderson, Wennberg and convince Gavrikov to make the jump (the wildcard in all of this). Even after these signings, there would be plenty of money left to go after a big fish. Trade for Duchene (unlikely without a first though) or Kovalchuk or try to sign a guy like Oshie.

Jarmo said he wasn't worried about the cap and now I can see why. These moves do not in any way greatly affect the current roster. If anything these moves would give this roster a chance to improve.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I find the idea of buying Hartnell out next year to be interesting. If we do a deal for Clarkson to get through this season and need to open cap next year:

This is what I'm wondering about as well. Could be that the plan was to buy out Hartnell before the Clarkson trade became a reality. Now they will keep Hartnell for one more year (4th line, sometimes 13th forward) and then do the buyout.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Maybe he's thinking he can kill two birds with one stone, pay McPhee to take Clarkson and not to draft either Karlsson or Johnson.

All in all a good assessment. I pulled this edit out to say I was hinting at this somewhere a couple days ago. The situation has a lot of moving parts, and Jarmo appears to be addressing several, if possible, as part of the Expansion Draft process.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

For me, it isn't so much about freeing up cap space, but opening up a spot in the lineup for someone better.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

Trading Clarkson, 2017 1st and Milano for a 2017 second + future considerations (selecting Jack Johnson in the ED). You net $9,607,143 in cap space.

Buyout Hartnell, you net $3,500,000 in cap space. So you are up to $13,107,143 in available cap space. Add in the current available cap space of $2,037,025 for a grand total of $15,144,168.

This scenario makes this team younger and there is more than enough cap space to sign Anderson, Wennberg and convince Gavrikov to make the jump (the wildcard in all of this). Even after these signings, there would be plenty of money left to go after a big fish. Trade for Duchene (unlikely without a first though) or Kovalchuk or try to sign a guy like Oshie.

Jarmo said he wasn't worried about the cap and now I can see why. These moves do not in any way greatly affect the current roster. If anything these moves would give this roster a chance to improve.

I keep seeing people bring up Oshie and I don't understand why. Why do people want him? He is going to cost a lot and he will be 31 next season. Isn't the entire point of all of this to get rid of older players who are making too much?

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I keep seeing people bring up Oshie and I don't understand why. Why do people want him? He is going to cost a lot and he will be 31 next season. Isn't the entire point of all of this to get rid of older players who are making too much?

Anyone thinking Oshie is a good idea doesn't understand regression.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If there is a deal in place for Clarkson + something for Vegas to choose someone of our preference there is no need for an immediate buyout of Hartnell. Hartnell would hold higher value as a trade and retaining 30%? 40%? This can happen after the Expansion Draft and let Free Agency take place to see who ends up where. CBJ isn't going going to be a UFA player so there is no concern about available money July 1st, especially if Clarkson is actually off the books.

Hartnell to Nashville with retention might be a solid move for all parties involved. He's out of the conference, goes to a winner, goes to his original team that he appeared to love and he would have a reduced price tag. so he could play a bottom 6 role with PP time in Nashville. They have some holes to fill and possibly a leadership need (if Fisher retires).

I'm more interested to see if Clarkson gets moved and how much we hurt when it's done. I'm probably in the minority but I would prefer to keep Milano.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
People here are ok with 34 old, four year NHL absent Kovalchuk, why are you surprised about Oshie? :)

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I think that Jarmo wants to make a splash.

I cut the rest of your post where you outline what would be a splash. Maybe its just me and maybe we are saying the same thing.

I think Jarmo could care less about a splash. I think Jarmo wants to make his team as competitive as possible. This time last year, he had to have some questions in his mind. Was Werenski going to be as good as he thought? Could Boone duplicate his 30 goal season? Was the fall off by everybody just an anomaly like he was saying publicly? Did he make the wrong decision in giving Foligino the C?

This year he knows so much more. Not only about his NHL team, but about the prospects in his system. The only wild cards now is; will whatever VGK plan he has prepared be able to be executed, can he get the trade or FA he wants and what draft picks will he have at the entry draft?

CBJ Alien

Jun 29, 2016
columbus ohio
For me, it isn't so much about freeing up cap space, but opening up a spot in the lineup for someone better.

correct me if im wrong but hartnell's points per min last year was among the highest on the roster. meaning even in a reduced role he is still an effective player. "someone better" might not be coming from within, now circle back buying out to provide cap relief for trades/FA signings.

im in favor of buyout after 17-18. IF clarkson is moved..

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I just don't see the benefits from buying out Hartnell. Not a single one of our young wingers fighting for a spot have proven they're better than Hartnell. They might be faster, more skilled with the puck and better skaters, but that doesn't mean they're better.

I won't be heartbroken if he's bought out, I just don't see the need, like at all. It's easy to say you don't care if he's on the books when it's not your money, but to form the most competitive team we can, you need to avoid paying people who aren't playing. This team is going enough and if Clarkson gets moved there is absolutely no reason to buy him out. Unless we really are going after someone like Tavares (which we aren't). Otherwise what's the point of having a ton of cap?

I think the important thing for Jarmo is going to be patient. Wait for the right trade if you make a big move, wait for the right player to show up in FA. Don't try to reach on players in FA(OSHIE) or in a trade (Kovy)

Getting rid of Clarkson basically means we are getting a redo of signing Horton. Let's not **** up the cap again with a stupid signing or trade.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Makes a ton of sense.

If the FO really believes that the window is opening, then they should eliminate all the parts that don't fit if they can and apply the cap toward more productive pieces ASAP.

If all the resources aren't going to be used, then they may as well roll with Hartnell one more year. A one year buyout is a big nothing wrt to the cap.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I agree we should hang onto Hartnell for atleast this next season unless the space is really needed or he can be traded. Last year was a weird one for Hartnell, seemed like he needed a bit more conditioning but at the same time they wanted Hartnell dialed back so much and worried about his penalties that it hurt his game and he probably didn't always feel like he could get himself involved like he wants. All that being said I think he should get breaks throughout the year and cycle in players if thats what is going to give us the best Hartnell when it matters, there are tons of options to fill in for spot duty like Maletta and Scott as starters as Hanikainen will probably be close to a full time player especially if Calvert is on his way out. I also like what the team did in the past with guys like Anderson, Bjorkstrand, Milano etc where they give these young guys a couple games then that way they get a taste of what to expect in the future plus you can see where they stand against NHL players. Kolesar, Thurkauf, Sherwood and maybe even Moutrey would be decent options for that scenario

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

To me it is about freeing up cap space as well as freeing up the roster spot and in this particular case not having to use a protected spot so we keep Anderson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad