Confirmed with Link: Claesson told to get an apartment in Ottawa

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
They all rent at that stage of their careers anyway... until they have long term contracts. Even then some rent. Whether it's a house, an apartment or a friggin motorhome. Nothing to see here.

I dunno...you can buy a house for 400,000 and sell it for 450,000 a few years later.

My friend bought a house, did nothing to it, sold it 2-3 years later and profited 50,000. I'm not saying all do, but property is a safe bet to keep going up in value decade after decade. It never hurts to buy unless selling is too time consuming for you.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Why does no one like Boro? The guy hits hard, blocks shots, plays his heart out and he's even improved his first pads. What more do people want?

Agreed. I am a big fan of Boro and feel his played has improved drastically this year.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The whole, "housing letter" thing is part of the CBA, I believe. While he is up from Bingo, the team has to put him up in a hotel. Once they give him the "housing letter", he then has a set amount of time to start paying for his own accommodations. I believe, however, that if they sent him down again in that year the team would then be responsible for his rent. I may have some of the details off, but that's the general gist of it...

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I dunno...you can buy a house for 400,000 and sell it for 450,000 a few years later.

My friend bought a house, did nothing to it, sold it 2-3 years later and profited 50,000. I'm not saying all do, but property is a safe bet to keep going up in value decade after decade. It never hurts to buy unless selling is too time consuming for you.

oh god no.

little strange with just three months in the season remaining and as a 7th d. probably best if he roomed with someone but perhaps I'm getting caught up in the wording

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
all true but he is better this year than last year imo

Last year the system didn't protect the D-zone like this year's which makes Boro look better than he is.

The question is can the Sens stay in the playoff hunt ranked 26th in scoring and 25th in goals against or is Boucher going to be forced to play a more open game to stay in the hunt.

If this happens the old Boro will appear instantly.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
oh god no.

little strange with just three months in the season remaining and as a 7th d. probably best if he roomed with someone but perhaps I'm getting caught up in the wording

Oh god yes. I was specifically responding to the "wait until they get a long term contract".

For example z. Smith is not waiting for a 5 year contract to buy a house.

A 2 year(as I gave an example of) contract is fine, considering you aren't likely to lose money flipping a house even if you don't renovate it much(which you think an NHL player might do)

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There

Did your friend pay 400,000 cash for the house, or mortgage it?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Did your friend pay 400,000 cash for the house, or mortgage it?

Cash I think. He took over his dad's multi million dollar corporation and was loaded right out of highschool. Mid 20s and he has a 50,000 truck and a fully decked lancer.

At the very least he didn't pay just the minimum down payment. Basically the listed price was 50,000 more and sold in 3 years ish. He took advantage of buying when the market was still low in like 2010 or 2011 and sold in 2014 I think.

Not everyone will make 50,000 selling their house a few years later but generally it is a good long term market. Many players keep their houses for a while after they move on from a team. Owning property is always worth it.

I used the example of my friend because he makes roughly what low end NHL players make. So he's the best example I have of a guy in his 20s easily making 6 digits. Buying houses and selling for a bigger house a few years later is no big deal. They don't spend as much of a percentage of their salary on houses.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00