News Article: Cizikas fined $5,000 for actions in Islanders game

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Every goalie should just throw themselves in front of opposing players if this is gonna be the result. Weaponize the shitty rule until they fix it, just like everyone is doing with LTIR now
I'm sure goalies will be lining up to do that.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
There's a difference between initiating contact and intentionally initiating contact, that's the issue I have. There was nothing intentional or deliberate about what happened.
I think I found the source of our disagreement. The question isn't whether or not he intentionally initiated contact (of course he did), it's whether or not he initiated intentional contact. :thumbu:

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
This place would go f***ING NUTS if a 4th liner from any other team did the exact same thing to Sorokin (identical play, just switch jerseys). I mean, full out bonkers.
That’s no fourth liner that’s the center of the Identity Line. The best fourth line in the entire league (2 years ago). Now the best paid fourth line in the league!

Reactions: Mike C

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I am ok with major, but not the game. The way he was leaning there was not much he could do about making a move to avoid. His shoulder only went down when he mad contact with the goalies pad (foot/leg).

At this point, the fine is understandable, and the right call made not to suspend.
Agreed there was not much Cizikas could have done and when viewed at full speed he was cutting hard to the net with all his weight on his left skate. He instinctively leaned to the left to avoid slamming into the boards and cut hard behind the net but the goaltenders head got in the way. It was just a reactionary move, there’s no time for intent because it happened so fast.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Agreed there was not much Cizikas could have done and when viewed at full speed he was cutting hard to the net with all his weight on his left skate. He instinctively leaned to the left to avoid slamming into the boards and cut hard behind the net but the goaltenders head got in the way. It was just a reactionary move, there’s no time for intent because it happened so fast.
When I watched it in slow motion, the goalie ducks his head right before Casey gets there. Not even Barzal could have stopped on that dime. Not saying the goalie did anything wrong but had he not ducked at the last second, it looks to me that his head wouldn't have gotten the brunt of it

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
When I watched it in slow motion, the goalie ducks his head right before Casey gets there. Not even Barzal could have stopped on that dime. Not saying the goalie did anything wrong but had he not ducked at the last second, it looks to me that his head wouldn't have gotten the brunt of it
Yeah these homer announcers were just watching the replay in slow motion. It looks like he could have avoided contact if you slow the film X10. But when you view the tape at normal speed there's no way he could change his direction even a smidge at that speed. I think if anything the goaltender's positioning surprised him.

• Love
Reactions: Mike C

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
I don't know if I mentioned this in the prior topic, but this hit is a weird one. Goalie leaves the goal mouth and basically gets in the path of Casey. Casey could have moved away, but he would of made contact with the goalie either way as a result. Feel terrible for the goalie, but not sure how this collision could have been avoided. I'm fine with the major and ejection. The fine seems a little excessive and reeks of the league failing to take the steps of educating players on why they should avoid contact with the goalie (and vice-versa).

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I don't know if I mentioned this in the prior topic, but this hit is a weird one. Goalie leaves the goal mouth and basically gets in the path of Casey. Casey could have moved away, but he would of made contact with the goalie either way as a result. Feel terrible for the goalie, but not sure how this collision could have been avoided. I'm fine with the major and ejection. The fine seems a little excessive and reeks of the league failing to take the steps of educating players on why they should avoid contact with the goalie (and vice-versa).
The fine is pretty meaningless to a millionaire.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
The fine establishes a step in the disciplinary process. The money means nothing. We all know. If Markstrom were a better actor, could have been an issue last night.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
You're focusing too much on the monetary value of the fine. I'm saying the league needs to step it up and educate players on avoiding contact with the goalie and how the goalie can avoid contact with the players.

The message of the fine here is a lazy way of passing the buck.
I was just commenting on you saying "the fine seems a little excessive."

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
You're focusing too much on the monetary value of the fine. I'm saying the league needs to step it up and educate players on avoiding contact with the goalie and how the goalie can avoid contact with the players.

The message of the fine here is a lazy way of passing the buck.
I really don't think there's a lot of education that needs to be done on this. What Cizikas did was reckless, he made hard contact intentionally playing reckelssly, and both him & NYI paid the price. There is 0% chance he doesn't know that what he did was reckless, and there's also a 0% chance Markstrom didn't knew what Cizikas did the other night was reckless when he tried to draw the penalty against Cizikas.

It's harder and harder to criticize the refs for calling the play based on outcomes when players shamelessly dive. Markstrom dove (or at least tried to get tripped) last night. Pelech suddenly had Josh Ho-Sang's weight+balance when he got checked into the net last night, drawing a penalty. I'm not saying he dove, but where'd all his strength go? It's not like he wasn't braced.

Stalock did *not* dive, he got clobbered. Can't blame the refs *at all*.

Reactions: TMI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad