News Article: Cizikas fined $5,000 for actions in Islanders game

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I think the match penalty was good, in context. Not suspending him was also probably okay.

The play was reckless, but not malicious. I think this fits.

Reactions: JKP

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Ok I watched the second and third periods off and on last night but missed the play with Cizikas. Just watched it now.

Ridiculous call. The goalie ventured out of the crease and then unexpectedly away from a straight line connecting the two players and into his path.

That’s all on the goalie.

I’m going to guess more than a few Isles fans have already posted similar thoughts.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Ok I watched the second and third periods off and on last night but missed the play with Cizikas. Just watched it now.

Ridiculous call. The goalie ventured out of the crease and then unexpectedly away from a straight line connecting the two players and into his path.

I’m going to guess more than a few Isles fans have already posted similar thoughts.

You still can't hit him, so I get the penalty. I don't understand how it's 5 and an ejection, because that means there was intent and it was pretty obvious it was an accident.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
It was a shoulder to the head knocking the player out of the game. That's a major nowadays. No suspension because no malicious intent. I think they got it right.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here

It would have been a two minute minor but Zeeker made zero effort to avoid contact, regardless of the fact that the goalie was largely out of the crease.

Reactions: TMI

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It was a shoulder to the head knocking the player out of the game. That's a major nowadays. No suspension because no malicious intent. I think they got it right.

That's just not what the rule says though, and I hate that.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
That's just not what the rule says though, and I hate that.
The ref followed the rulebook IMO. PK, you posted the rule (thanks BTW). I think this fits all the criteria. He made zero effort to get out of the way, was coming in at full speed, hit the goalie in the head, knocking him out of the game. I agree that it wasn't "intent to injure" (hence no match penalty), but I can't think of a more clear example of a 5 minute major goalie interference.

69.2 Penalty - In all cases in which an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, whether or not the goalkeeper is inside or outside the goal crease, and whether or not a goal is scored, the attacking player will receive a penalty (minor or major, as the Referee deems appropriate). In all cases where the infraction being imposed is to the attacking player for hindering the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely in his goal crease, the penalty to be assessed is for goalkeeper interference.

In exercising his judgment, the Referee should give more significant consideration to the degree and nature of the contact with the goalkeeper than to the exact location of the goalkeeper at the time of the contact.

Reactions: Foppberg

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
When I saw the replay, I knew it was going to be a major. After Zeek took the shot, and the goalie kept sliding into his path, he DID have time to make an adjustment, even if it's just a shift of his upper body AWAY from Stalock. He had time to do that, even if he stays on the same trajectory around the net. Even the most minimal effort to try to look as if he wants to avoid contact, and it's probably 2 mins. Instead, it appears more like he said oh well, and actually dropped his shoulder into him.

And yes, he had time. A split second, but an elite athlete like Casey had time to at least shift his body to minimize the impact. He made no effort to avoid it. Not saying it was an attempt to injure, but the hit could have been less impactful.

This place would go f***ING NUTS if a 4th liner from any other team did the exact same thing to Sorokin (identical play, just switch jerseys). I mean, full out bonkers.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The ref followed the rulebook IMO. PK, you posted the rule (thanks BTW). I think this fits all the criteria. He made zero effort to get out of the way, was coming in at full speed, hit the goalie in the head, knocking him out of the game. I agree that it wasn't "intent to injure" (hence no match penalty), but I can't think of a more clear example of a 5 minute major goalie interference.

69.2 Penalty - In all cases in which an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, whether or not the goalkeeper is inside or outside the goal crease, and whether or not a goal is scored, the attacking player will receive a penalty (minor or major, as the Referee deems appropriate). In all cases where the infraction being imposed is to the attacking player for hindering the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely in his goal crease, the penalty to be assessed is for goalkeeper interference.

In exercising his judgment, the Referee should give more significant consideration to the degree and nature of the contact with the goalkeeper than to the exact location of the goalkeeper at the time of the contact.

There's a difference between initiating contact and intentionally initiating contact, that's the issue I have. There was nothing intentional or deliberate about what happened.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
When I saw the replay, I knew it was going to be a major. After Zeek took the shot, and the goalie kept sliding into his path, he DID have time to make an adjustment, even if it's just a shift of his upper body AWAY from Stalock. He had time to do that, even if he stays on the same trajectory around the net. Even the most minimal effort to try to look as if he wants to avoid contact, and it's probably 2 mins. Instead, it appears more like he said oh well, and actually dropped his shoulder into him.

And yes, he had time. A split second, but an elite athlete like Casey had time to at least shift his body to minimize the impact. He made no effort to avoid it. Not saying it was an attempt to injure, but the hit could have been less impactful.

This place would go f***ING NUTS if a 4th liner from any other team did the exact same thing to Sorokin (identical play, just switch jerseys). I mean, full out bonkers.

He didn't really move at all, and he definitely didn't drop his shoulder at all.

The shot was released with 17:06 remaining in the period and contact was made with 17:06 remaining in the period. There wasn't much time to do anything else, maybe he could've leaned or something but it's pretty much a bang bang play. No issue with the penalty, I do take issue with the 5 and the ejection.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
I am ok with major, but not the game. The way he was leaning there was not much he could do about making a move to avoid. His shoulder only went down when he mad contact with the goalies pad (foot/leg).

At this point, the fine is understandable, and the right call made not to suspend.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I am ok with major, but not the game. The way he was leaning there was not much he could do about making a move to avoid. His shoulder only went down when he mad contact with the goalies pad (foot/leg).

At this point, the fine is understandable, and the right call made not to suspend.
As I watch the replay in slow motion, the goalie ducked his head just before Casey got there. Had he not done that, it looks like it might have been shoulder to shoulder contact....plus, he was barely hugging the blue area with one skate. Not much Casey could have done

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
By not trying to avoid it, it makes it look more intentional. I think he got what he deserved and was honestly a little surprised they didn’t give him a game.

If one of their guys had done the exact same thing to Sorokin we’d want him to get more than 2m…

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
By not trying to avoid it, it makes it look more intentional. I think he got what he deserved and was honestly a little surprised they didn’t give him a game.

If one of their guys had done the exact same thing to Sorokin we’d want him to get more than 2m…

They usually take into account how much time remaining in the game there is it seems, so the fact it happened early on instead of with 3 minutes left probably had an impact.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

But we would have loved Ross, Scotty and Ollie clawing over each other to get there 1st to exact that pound of flesh back

No Black Hawk seemed to take issue with Casey

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
There's a difference between initiating contact and intentionally initiating contact, that's the issue I have. There was nothing intentional or deliberate about what happened.
Huh? How do you initiate something you have no intention of doing? Initiation implies intention.

Isn't a game automatic with a major for most infractions?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Huh? How do you initiate something you have no intention of doing? Initiation implies intention.

Intention is not part of the definition of the word initiate, it just means to start something.

Taking this situation but manipulating it to create a more clear example, if Cizikas was skating backwards and unknowingly slammed into the goaltender he would have initiated the contact even if it wasn't intentional.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
Every goalie should just throw themselves in front of opposing players if this is gonna be the result. Weaponize the shitty rule until they fix it, just like everyone is doing with LTIR now

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
I'm just glad there is no suspension.... We are on a roll and that would muck things up without him!

Reactions: Mike C

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Intention is not part of the definition of the word initiate, it just means to start something.

Taking this situation but manipulating it to create a more clear example, if Cizikas was skating backwards and unknowingly slammed into the goaltender he would have initiated the contact even if it wasn't intentional.
It doesn't matter which direction he's skating in. In this case, he had his head down and wasn't necessarily looking directly AT the goalie. If he was skating backwards, super fast, intentionally towards the goal, and the same collision occurred, the same penalty would be given.

Did Cizikas think the goalie would disappear?

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Every goalie should just throw themselves in front of opposing players if this is gonna be the result. Weaponize the shitty rule until they fix it, just like everyone is doing with LTIR now
Then do the Flopsy Mopsy like Igor to make sure the refs don't miss it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad