CIS vs Team Canada

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
Most of the picks make sense, but for two things:
1) Doesn't Hockey Canada provide both goalies for each game? Not sure why a goalie would travel from Calgary just to practice.
2) Unless Hockey Canada has suddenly found a pot of gold, are the players / teams not responsible for their own travel? For that reason I don't see more than 2-3 players coming from outside Ontario. The Ontario-based AUS players make a ton of sense, as do the OUA players he's identified, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more OUA players filling in. Travel is expensive.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
1) Doesn't Hockey Canada provide both goalies for each game? Not sure why a goalie would travel from Calgary just to practice.
2) Unless Hockey Canada has suddenly found a pot of gold, are the players / teams not responsible for their own travel? For that reason I don't see more than 2-3 players coming from outside Ontario. The Ontario-based AUS players make a ton of sense, as do the OUA players he's identified, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more OUA players filling in. Travel is expensive.
Good points. The USports goalies WILL just be practice goalies, so a bit of a committment to go just for that, especially since I believe players have to pay their own travel costs, unless they are lucky enough to get their schools to subsidize them.

Also, extremely rare to see rookies named to the team. Usually the honour of being picked is reserved for veteran players. Another issue is exam schedules; if players have exams they can't get out of, or make arrangements for, they can't go.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
In other words, the "USports Selects" are not really an all-star team: it is a team of the best veteran players who aren't injured, don't have exam issues and can afford to attend.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Good point on the goalies. I would agree that a couple of local guys can fill in.

This is Ben looking at a "full" CIS team based on stats.

Don't read too much in this, guys. This is Bens Dream Team.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I see Gibby maxed out his three Queens picks, as did Howell with 3 from Calgary. Urquhart from McGill only got one his players on team, and Lim from RMC didn't get any of his players. Unlike with FISU, Alberta is back with three players. No.1 UNB only places three players because that is the max per school.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Here is the CIS team that will be playing TC -

U SPORTS MEN’S HOCKEY ALL-STAR ROSTER

NamePositionUniversity
Connor UngarGoaltenderBrock University
Simon LavigneDefenceConcordia University
Scott WalfordDefenceMcGill University
Max GrondinForwardUniversity of Ottawa
Jacob PaquetteDefenceQueen's University
Dalton DuhartForwardQueen's University
Jonathan YantsisForwardQueen's University
Andrew CoxheadForwardSaint Mary's University
Matthew StruthersForwardSt. Francis Xavier University
Kai EdmondsGoaltenderToronto Metropolitan University
Dylan PlouffeDefenceUniversity of Alberta
Eric FlorchukForwardUniversity of Alberta
Josh ProkopForwardUniversity of Alberta
Sasha MutalaForwardUniversity of British Columbia
Noah KingDefenceUniversity of Calgary
Riley StottsForwardUniversity of Calgary
Jake GriciusForwardUniversity of Calgary
Adam McCormickDefenceUniversity of New Brunswick
Austen KeatingForwardUniversity of New Brunswick
Brady GilmourForwardUniversity of New Brunswick
Gunner KinniburghDefenceUniversity of Saskatchewan
Simon LafranceForwardUniversité du Québec à Trois-Rivières
NamePositionUniversity
Brett GibsonHead CoachQueen's University
Mark HowellGeneral Manager / AssociateUniversity of Calgary
David UrquhartAssistant McGill University
Richard LimAssistantRoyal Military College
Alex JozsaVideo CoachUniversity of Calgary
Adam EllwoodAthletic TherapistUniversity of Windsor
Jamie Nicholl-CarneEquipment ManagerQueen's University

Keating will wear the "C" with LaFrance and King wearing "A".

Reactions: Rob

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
For most of these events - the goalies were from the CHL. There was one year, can't recall which one, they actually had USPORTS goalies playing and they had the CHL goalies rotate in. I could also be 100% wrong.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
For most of these events - the goalies were from the CHL. There was one year, can't recall which one, they actually had USPORTS goalies playing and they had the CHL goalies rotate in. I could also be 100% wrong.
Nope, you're correct. The TC goalies play for both teams.

In 2003 we had Fleury for a total of 1 period over 2 games.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Entertaining game today. TC wins 4-2. Good pace by both teams but TC looked a bit quicker as the game went on.
CIS guys didn't look out of place.
All 4 goalies for TC played, splitting the game.
Regardless of the score they have a full 3-on-3 for practice and a shootout.
CIS scored the only goal in the 3-on-3 portion.
TC wins the SO 2-1.

Fun game

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Nope, you're correct. The TC goalies play for both teams.

In 2003 we had Fleury for a total of 1 period over 2 games.
In 2003 any idea if they had control over how the AUS team played ? I know a player who played on one of those “OUA Selects but not really all star” teams said they played systems selected by hockey Canada for the first and second half of the game kind of resembling the systems they expected the Americans and Finland to play as the entire point of the games was prep for the World Juniors.

Reactions: KKWG11

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
In 2003 any idea if they had control over how the AUS team played ? I know a player who played on one of those “OUA Selects but not really all star” teams said they played systems selected by hockey Canada for the first and second half of the game kind of resembling the systems they expected the Americans and Finland to play as the entire point of the games was prep for the World Juniors.
I know that AUS team was told after the first (?) intermission to stop pounding the piss out of the Junior kids. This is when Joel Ward came to the sudden attention of NHL scouts.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I know that AUS team was told after the first (?) intermission to stop pounding the piss out of the Junior kids. This is when Joel Ward came to the sudden attention of NHL scouts.
Chris Stanley, Dan Tudin and Wardo were our "power" line.

Opening face-off, Scottie Upshall wins the draw back to the D-man and stands there admiring his work.
Stanley levelled him.

Yes, Marc Habsheid came to our room at the end of the 1st to ask Stieney to dial it back a bit.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
CIS with a big 6-1 win over TC today.

TC scored in the 1st, CIS got 2 in the 2nd and 4 in the 3d.

Coxhead on a quick shot got it going, then Keating with a nice pass to Florchuk on a 2-on-1.
Stotts deflected a Prokop point shot with Struthers getting an assist.
Duhart scored a scramble goal and Florchuk with a nice individual effort (bar down) to make it 5-1.

TC pulled the goalie with about 5 min left and CIS took a penalty to make it 6-on-4.
Rosseau (Mooseheads) was solid for the kill and Struthers got the EN goal in the last minute.

One note: When I bought my "pass" yesterday I thought it was for both games.
Had to pay $15 today as well.
I enjoyed both games.

Since they went with the CIS All Star team concept in 2015 CIS leads 7-6.

Last edited:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
As I responded/tweeted to Little Ben, it is little surprise the USports guys tend to win the second game. They're more mature and experienced players, so better able to adjust their game plan and systems to match their opponents. Figure out what didn't work in Game 1 and change it for Game 2. Because of their weekend schedule they are more used to back-to-back high stakes games. And maybe the biggest factor is that for the Juniors, what is their individual stress level knowing cuts are coming based on their performance? They are teenagers after all, and this is the biggest tryout of their lives to date.

Also, don't forget the healthy scratches are the older players who have already made the team.

If I was a betting man, based on stats I would propose that Samuel St-Hilaire is not going to be among the three goalies making the trip to Worlds. But I could be wrong, and DiVincentiis gets cut.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
As I responded/tweeted to Little Ben, it is little surprise the USports guys tend to win the second game. They're more mature and experienced players, so better able to adjust their game plan and systems to match their opponents. Figure out what didn't work in Game 1 and change it for Game 2. Because of their weekend schedule they are more used to back-to-back high stakes games. And maybe the biggest factor is that for the Juniors, what is their individual stress level knowing cuts are coming based on their performance? They are teenagers after all, and this is the biggest tryout of their lives to date.

Also, don't forget the healthy scratches are the older players who have already made the team.

If I was a betting man, based on stats I would propose that Samuel St-Hilaire is not going to be among the three goalies making the trip to Worlds. But I could be wrong, and DiVincentiis gets cut.
TC did not look as sharp as yesterday. I agree with your goaltending cut. Rousseau is #1 in my books. I thought all 4 Moosehead guys played well, overall.

Rumor is they will only keep 12 forwards, hoping for an NHL player to be added.

AUC Regular

Aug 22, 2023
Chris Stanley, Dan Tudin and Wardo were our "power" line.

Opening face-off, Scottie Upshall wins the draw back to the D-man and stands there admiring his work.
Stanley levelled him.

Yes, Marc Habsheid came to our room at the end of the 1st to ask Stieney to dial it back a bit.
LOL. Great story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad