CIS Recruiting 2013-14

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
STU also announces the re-recruitment of defenceman Sawyer Hannay. He was recruited over the summer, played a game, then gave pro hockey a shot. That is now 4 new players for the 2nd half for STU...what is their roster situation looking like now? Surely they didn't have that many open spots??

http://stutommies.com/2013/12/tommies-fill-final-roster-spot-with-big.html

I'm going to answer my own question...just looking at the AUS site STU has only dressed 18 different skaters this year so far (Simon Bissonnette and Nick Brown haven't played), so they did have 4 open spots to work with. Good job by Powers getting some quality recruits and giving the team more depth than I can remember in recent years.

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
What a stupid roster cap rule made up by the other selfish coaches of the AUS. This puts UNB at a major disadvantage to the other conferences at Nationals since they have no such roster caps...Heaven forbid some players want to play for a perennial winner and as such there will now be a player that should be a top line player who could be putting butts in the seats, but no because of this stupid rule he will have to waste half a season of his hockey career. Given that this rule is not having the intended impact (hurting UNB's recruiting effort), it should be scrapped. What other AUS sports have this rule? (I'm hoping at least that this rule was created due to precedence in either football or basketball in some conference?)

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Boutet will be joining the McGill Redmen. Just talked to him.

Great addition on an already stacked team, and a good way for McGill to respond to the Martin Lefebvre addition in Trois-Rivières. Next tuesday's game between those two is going to be something.

Last edited:

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Does anyone out there know the roster sizes of the other non-handicapped CIS leagues, especially the contending teams and how many players the contending teams added at Christmas?

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Does anyone out there know the roster sizes of the other non-handicapped CIS leagues, especially the contending teams and how many players the contending teams added at Christmas?

Quickly glancing at website rosters (not sure if they have been updated or how accurate they are), UofC has 29 players listed, 3 of which are goalies and UofA have 26, 3 are goalies. Macgill lists 26 with 3 being goalies.

CoconutHockey*

Boutet will be joining the McGill Redmen. Just talked to him.

Great addition on an already stacked team, and a good way for McGill to respond to the Martin Lefebvre addition in Trois-Rivières. Next tuesday's game between those two is going to be something.

McGill is going to be a contender for the next couple of years. With Boutet added on the blue line, McGill now have 6 defencemen with a 40pts+ season in the CHL; Mathieu (52), Barnard (52), Carrier (50), Boutet (44), McKiernan (44), Laporte (40)

With UQTR adding 3 guys from the ECHL, the OUA East just got a lot more competitive on the national scale this year.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
The roster cap (a move aimed at UNB) was a real short sighted move by the rest of the AUS. The rest of the CIS can now grow stronger at their expense.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The roster cap (a move aimed at UNB) was a real short sighted move by the rest of the AUS. The rest of the CIS can now grow stronger at their expense.

There is no doubt that the cap was put in place to prevent UNB from stockpiling top tier players. Time will tell if it has an adverse effect on the AUS in National competition. ( I'm assuming you were speaking of the AUS and not just UNB when you said 'at their expense' ).

As a hockey fan, I would like to see more parity in the league, to make the games more fun to watch. It's no fun for me to go to a Dal game and see them get pounded by UNB when UNB has a 40 goal scorer sitting out because of the numbers game. That player could have gone to Dal with a roster cap in place and perhaps make them a bit better.
I'm using this as an example, so don't jump all over this as being un-realistic.

If you like double digit wins, then enjoy the games. I go to games to be entertained, not to see "my" team demolish an under-staffed, less skilled team.

Before someone chimes in with the counter that Dal can get these players too, you have to realize that Dal has higher academic standards than other schools, making it more difficult for some players to get in. I'm not accusing any one of wrongdoing, just stating a fact.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
The "Party Line" explanation about being concerned about those two or three extra players who don't get to dress every game has now effectively prevented some of those same players from playing in the AUS. Many of those so called extra players in their first year have become full time regulars in the AUS after their first year adjustment period. Shawn O'Donnell of SMU is a perfect example.

Was it really that harmful to be a part time player on one of these nationally ranked teams while having the opportunity to improve your hockey skills while getting an education? Did any other AUS teams add a ECHL player at Christmas this year which would affect the playing time of the other team members?

Strong recruiting and promotion can also help increase fan support for many teams which helps financially.

With the roster handicap and with the very good possibility of an AUS representative going to Nationals with a depleted roster because of illness, injuries, suspensions or academic reasons this year, the AUS may soon lose its very strong recruiting appeal as the best CIS league in Canada. The other leagues haven't been able to diminish that reputation despite the CIS Ranking system but the AUS may very well have done it themselves this time with their very transparent roster cap rule.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
There is no doubt that the cap was put in place to prevent UNB from stockpiling top tier players. Time will tell if it has an adverse effect on the AUS in National competition. ( I'm assuming you were speaking of the AUS and not just UNB when you said 'at their expense' ).

As a hockey fan, I would like to see more parity in the league, to make the games more fun to watch. It's no fun for me to go to a Dal game and see them get pounded by UNB when UNB has a 40 goal scorer sitting out because of the numbers game. That player could have gone to Dal with a roster cap in place and perhaps make them a bit better.
I'm using this as an example, so don't jump all over this as being un-realistic.

If you like double digit wins, then enjoy the games. I go to games to be entertained, not to see "my" team demolish an under-staffed, less skilled team.

Before someone chimes in with the counter that Dal can get these players too, you have to realize that Dal has higher academic standards than other schools, making it more difficult for some players to get in. I'm not accusing any one of wrongdoing, just stating a fact.

So really, what has the roster rule done, it has not prevented top level players sitting in the stands, it has not forced a player that may have gone to one school to choose another because there was no room! Duffy could have easily went to Acadia after finding out that he would need to sit this year, but chose to sit out.

This rule is going to do nothing to help the bottom half of the league, the top level player is going to want to play on the best team that he can. Blaming another school for your recruiting or lack of is making excuses, for all of the troubles that STU has gone through, they are turning it around, and it is not because of them landing recruits that were turned away from UNB. You know what they did, they have busted their backsides and have landed some quality recruits, and guess what, they will land even more next year.

You mentioned that DAL has higher academic entry standards, well STU has a smaller selection of degree programs, so it also limits the potential student/athlete. And through all their struggles recently, they are slowly rebuilding and getting better, and think that you will see them making the playoffs either next year or the following.

As for the parity, I am pretty sure that on any given night, UPEI, SMU, STF, UdeM, and now STU can knock off UNB or Acadia. Maybe it's time for DAL to take a look at their program and it's short comings and try to remedy, handcuffing other programs is not a solution.

And yes I am very biased, this rule was put in place because of ONE team's success, you honestly think that this rule would be in place if it was SMU or DAL with the 40 goal scorers in the stands? Not a chance! I have nothing against DAL, would love to see them field a quality team, same as STU (which I will say, they are on the right road), it makes local rivalries that much more enjoyable to watch.

And my last point, although in the last response you don't accuse UNB of wrong doing's, it has been implied in other posts of yours, don't you think that we would have heard of such things, or at least grumblings of investigations or wrong doings? I am pretty sure that ANY team that is having continued success will be under a microscope from the AUS and CIS, yet I have not heard of anything.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"And my last point, although in the last response you don't accuse UNB of wrong doing's, it has been implied in other posts of yours, don't you think that we would have heard of such things, or at least grumblings of investigations or wrong doings? I am pretty sure that ANY team that is having continued success will be under a microscope from the AUS and CIS, yet I have not heard of anything."

Please, take off the tinfoil hat. I am not out to get anyone. The people that matter to me on this board can attest to the fact that I am generally unbiased, hence my moniker. How many times have you gone to the Nationals to support a team other than your own? This spring will be 14 years straight and 16 total where I have gone to cheer for the AUS team(s) at the Nationals.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I'm not trolling, honestly. But do you really think that Ben Duffy is sitting out because he loves UNB and will do anything to play there? I have no knowledge of anything going on, but I have to believe that he is getting some kind of "incentive" to do this. I will have to contact his dad and inquire. If there is nothing going on, I will move on.....

Sorry my tinfoil hat must have made me misinterpret what you meant by the above quote. Anyway, the fact is that this rule does nothing to stop players from sitting in stands when they could be playing for other teams, and only serves to hinder some of the more powerful teams.
Just an FYI, according to their websites, Calgary has 29 roster players (3 goalies listed) and Alberta has 26 (3 goalies listed). Now the numbers could be higher, as I have no idea when the websites were last updated.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
I remember a year when Concordia had 5 keepers in their staff.

The rule might not be a bad thing, but is the number 22 too low ? That might be another good question.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I remember a year when Concordia had 5 keepers in their staff.

The rule might not be a bad thing, but is the number 22 too low ? That might be another good question.

The rule was definitely brought in to prevent UNB from having too many top tier players, NOT having a bunch of inter-mural guys on the roster who would never play. Dal had a load of players on the program last couple of years, but a lot never played, cause they were just there as practice guys. It's no secret that UNB had Wudrick in the stands for a good portion of his time there. It's also no secret that he was in the stands cause he didn't fit in their system. But, and I don't know this for certain, it seems a waste of a 'scholarship' for a player like that.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
It seems that a player will ultimately go where he can play. UNB is not so much better than the rest that a good player would rather ride their bench instead of play for Acadia, SFX, etc. Seems to me that waving the one year redshirt rule for transfers would do more than roster limits.

That said, I am in the "fewer rules the better" camp. Let the players decide. This is not pro hockey.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
It seems that a player will ultimately go where he can play. UNB is not so much better than the rest that a good player would rather ride their bench instead of play for Acadia, SFX, etc. Seems to me that waving the one year redshirt rule for transfers would do more than roster limits.

That said, I am in the "fewer rules the better" camp. Let the players decide. This is not pro hockey.

Taking out the transfer rule would be a bad thing IMHO. A player who is just in school for hockey could jump to another team at any time. It would also allow an unscrupulous coach ( of which there are none in the AUS ), to entice a player to leave their school for his.

Edit: It is not pro hockey, it is University. There has to be rules regarding academics, eligibility, etc.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Agree that the transfer rule is actually a good thing, as players could come and go as they please (or almost as they choose). And to be honest, I would not have an issue with the roster cap if 1) it was a better number or would have some flexibility for injuries and 2) if it was CIS wide, doesn't seem right to handcuff only one conference while the rest of the country is free to sign 25+ players if they need be.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
AUS Roster Cap

Agree that the transfer rule is actually a good thing, as players could come and go as they please (or almost as they choose). And to be honest, I would not have an issue with the roster cap if 1) it was a better number or would have some flexibility for injuries and 2) if it was CIS wide, doesn't seem right to handcuff only one conference while the rest of the country is free to sign 25+ players if they need be.

In my opinion, if your going to have a roster cap, then it should be the same for all teams in the CIS!
When teams from the CanadaWest and OUA like Alberta ,McGill,Western are showing up with 25-29 player rosters. This rule could really put an AUS team at a disadvantage on the National stage, if it sustains more than a couple key injuries during a tough league playoff.
The brains who wanted such a rule, practically eliminated any chance of local players from the MJHL playing for an AUS team and getting a local University degree.Now those players are finding their way onto the mid-bottom OUA teams that don't have a roster cap.
UNB coaching staff used to scout MJHL games at times in Woodstock, do they now?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
These MJHL players you speak of are not good enough to play for most AUS teams. Certainly, they could not find a spot on UNB. Exclude some very good players who have come out of Junior A. Other than not getting a degree from an AUS school, they at least can play for a mid-tier OUA school and get a degree. The argument about having 29 players on the roster is flawed. I repeat my statement about Dal having that many names on their program and still only dressing 18-19 players. The other guys Just Are Not That Good. Calgary has dressed 25 guys, with three of them playing 1, 3 and 4 games only. UofA has dressed 22 skaters, one more than UNB has in the 1st half.

I would be sympathetic if the complaints were widespread, but they come mainly from UNB supporters.
Some have even posted how unfair it will be to UNB at the Nationals ( but Not Red Army ). I think it's great that you support your team; just don't expect a lot of support from me when it is obvious where your loyalties lie. The rule is in place this year and it's not about to change this year, so let's move on. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad