Proposal: Chychrun+ for Weegar or Andersson

Ledge And Dairy

I agree to an extent. He is having a good season, and he is staying healthy. I don't think the player is the issue.

I'm on the keep Chabot train, personally speaking, but I don't like sending Chychrun away either way.

And good point, but I could still see them saying no because it's Ottawa. It's an uphill battle to bring people in there it seems. Not impossible.
I mean Severson agreed to sign in Columbus of all places so I don't think Ottawa is that out of the question. I think in the case of Matt Roy for example, there is next to zero chance of LA being able to extend him so it would be in their own best interest to do a sign and trade when the 10% buffer kicks in this summer

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I mean Severson agreed to sign in Columbus of all places so I don't think Ottawa is that out of the question. I think in the case of Matt Roy for example, there is next to zero chance of LA being able to extend him so it would be in their own best interest to do a sign and trade when the 10% buffer kicks in this summer
Good point. I could see getting a target out of it if they're aggressive. I think Pesce seems unlikely being the biggest prize, but Roy is a name that gets a lot of traction on the ottawa board.

And as much as some Sens fans will hate the move, I think Tanev will be target #1 in the offseason. The question is whether he makes it there and will consider them.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
As it stands, it seems there's not a single top-4 RD Ottawa would want, where the reasonable ask doesn't start with Pinto.

I would personally explore trading him, but I don't think other Sens fans would be in the same boat.
Free agency.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I get why Senators asking about Weegar and Andersson, but both guys are valuable and more valuable to the Flames than perhaps the Sens. You won't like the ask because it's more than they're worth, but honestly, that's kinda the size of the hole and inconvenience if they were moved off our roster.

Andersson is likely next in line as Captain, so it's no thanks unless the guy in return is also high talent and captain material.

Weegar is a top pairing RHS LD and a local Ottawa guy, but can play 2nd pairing RD (his off side) as needed. 3/4 RD alone aren't cheap and top pairing guys aren't cheap. You'd get a weird hybrid of that if you acquired Weegar and we'd be in a situation where a guy on his off side (ie: Chychrun) would be of lesser calibre than Weegar on his off side.

But I get it. The Flames have tons of great options that might help Ottawa develop their young guys well and improve in their standings. But the UFA expiry is too short (for current season) or duration or cost are all hard pills to swallow for Ottawa. The experience, cultural and style fit seem to fit. But the types of assets and asset types and contract structures make it hard to facilitate a deal that works for both sides.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I get why Senators asking about Weegar and Andersson, but both guys are valuable and more valuable to the Flames than perhaps the Sens. You won't like the ask because it's more than they're worth, but honestly, that's kinda the size of the hole and inconvenience if they were moved off our roster.

Andersson is likely next in line as Captain, so it's no thanks unless the guy in return is also high talent and captain material.

Weegar is a top pairing RHS LD and a local Ottawa guy, but can play 2nd pairing RD (his off side) as needed. 3/4 RD alone aren't cheap and top pairing guys aren't cheap. You'd get a weird hybrid of that if you acquired Weegar and we'd be in a situation where a guy on his off side (ie: Chychrun) would be of lesser calibre than Weegar on his off side.

But I get it. The Flames have tons of great options that might help Ottawa develop their young guys well and improve in their standings. But the UFA expiry is too short (for current season) or duration or cost are all hard pills to swallow for Ottawa. The experience, cultural and style fit seem to fit. But the types of assets and asset types and contract structures make it hard to facilitate a deal that works for both sides.
For a team supposedly stuck in mediocrity, the Flames sure do have a lot of desirable assets. I'm interested to see what transpires there.

Reactions: Fig

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The Flames and Sens are bad trading partners. We need a legitimate C, you need a legitimate RHD. And I mean legitimate as in top pairing / first line. I’m asking what I would need to add to get Stutzle, and that’s when Ottawa laughs and hangs up.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
it's got to be a huge plus. More like a +/+/+
Andersson's name is now out there as as someone they're listening to offers about. The 2 yrs left on contract make me nervous but I'd pony up if we're allowed to speak to the player

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Chychrun is an established flight risk. I could see him returning good picks but not established, signed, star players.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Andersson's name is now out there as as someone they're listening to offers about. The 2 yrs left on contract make me nervous but I'd pony up if we're allowed to speak to the player
but it's not. Someone blogger made a post saying he would valued at an all time high. No way Calgary gets rid of him. Way too valuable to the team. It would have to be a massive overpayment to get him. No credible insider has said that Andersson is available or even being talked about.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Flames fans, any interest in a Chychrun swap for one of Weegar or Andersson and what might need to be added to get it done if so?

Tough with Chychrun's contract status and Calgary's unknown direction.

If not Chychrun, are these guys considered to be available at all or should I assume they're untouchables. What else might you want from Ottawa for 1 of those 2?
If you had Weegs and Andersson on your team would you trade either of them for Chychrun? The plus would have to be significant and Chychrun would be a throw in.

• Haha
Reactions: SensFactor

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If you had Weegs and Andersson on your team would you trade either of them for Chychrun? The plus would have to be significant and Chychrun would be a throw in.
I have huge respect for Weegar and Andersson, but Chychrun is a good dman too. It would depend a lot on positional depth and contract status. If Chychrun were coming with an extension at a reasonable AAV, he is absolutely a player I would add to my team and is not someone I would ever consider a "throw in" even as a rental. Only reason we can't keep him in Ottawa is having 16+ mill locked up in 2 LD ahead of him and him needing a big new contract.

Would I trade one of those 2 straight up for him? No, but it's a base for a deal if LD/RD needs shuffling and the intention were to re-sign Chychrun. Maybe age is a consideration too in the case of Weegar since he's about 4.2 years older than Chychrun. Theoretically, if Calgary is building for the future, Weegar could be aging and trending down in performance by the time they're competing as opposed to Chychrun.

And that contract issue sort of exists with Andersson, so there's some nerves there too. If we acquired him now, we'd be acquiring a guy with the same contract runway left as when we acquired Chychrun. Seemed like we just got Chychrun and all of a sudden the big contract questions come with him back on the block.

Reactions: Bileur

moegillknee

Jul 30, 2016
Andersson is a #1 dman for sure and could bring the vet leadership and professionalism Ott is searching for but it would cost them Sanderson .because Flames don't trade him for Chychrun and the add would be alot.plus his contract is sweet.tuff trade to make either way but value is there

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

You can state a team is not a good trading partner and say you aren’t interested in a trade without making over the top statements.

Ridiculous takes like this just attract flame wars and negatively impact peoples opinions of you.

Chychrun is a legit top 3 defenseman on most teams and is only making 4.6 for another year. Suggesting he’d be a throw in is asinine.

Reactions: Razor Face

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Andersson is a #1 dman for sure and could bring the vet leadership and professionalism Ott is searching for but it would cost them Sanderson .because Flames don't trade him for Chychrun and the add would be alot.plus his contract is sweet.tuff trade to make either way but value is there
Value is in no way there for Ottawa, they’d hang up in a matter of seconds. They’ve got their 21 year old #1 D for the next 8 years, they aren’t trading him for 2 years of cost savings for a guy turning 28 years old.

2 years at 4.5 and then have to extend him at an 8+ million contract from age 30-37 isn’t an ideal move for the Sens.

Andersson is exactly what the Sens need, but they can’t be giving up a guy like Sanderson, it would be a non starter.

Reactions: Bileur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad